2012 NHL Offseason

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (FountainOfSyrinx @ Jun 28 2012, 01:49 PM)
Why are there such monster deals in the NHL? (year-wise)

I've never understood.

Players like long-term financial certainty, GMs like to tack extra years at a lower salary on to the end of a contract so the cap hit goes down. Works out great for everyone until the player declines in performance or gets replaced by a younger, cheaper player.

The Crosby deal isn't so bad...it's really hard to imagine him not being a point-per-game (and then some) player for the next ten years, and if the concussion issues come back they can stick him on LTIR and not have to worry about the cap hit. The Jonathan Quick one though...I dunno, goalie performance is usually inconsistent as all hell. Look at Tim Thomas...won the Vezina, lost his starting job the next season, then won the Vezina again. Who knows how good Quick will be in three years, let alone 11.

edit again: There was talk about the new CBA potentially including a 6-year maximum for contracts. Wonder if this is a rush to get longer-term deals done while they still can?

Edited by invisibleairwaves

QUOTE (PhilCastro @ Jun 28 2012, 07:30 PM)
QUOTE (invisibleairwaves @ Jun 28 2012, 09:58 PM)
Cory Schneider re-signs! 3 years at $4m a season!

A little higher than I would have liked, but this buys 2 of his UFA years. And it's only 100K more than Ondrej Pavelec's cap hit!

Just thank God it wasn't a 10 year deal laugh.gif

laugh.gif

scared.gif

Stars signed Ray Whitney to a two year deal, $9 million.

He's 40. A little troubling on the age.. but also scored 24 times for the Coyotes last year. Maybe he can propel them back into the playoffs. 1287.gif

QUOTE (blackhawkrush @ Jul 1 2012, 12:04 PM)
QUOTE (invisibleairwaves @ Jul 1 2012, 11:42 AM)
Good news, BHR! Jonas Gustavsson is going to Detroit! laugh.gif

Watch him turn into a Hasek now. eyesre4.gif

Not that I think Gustavsson is any good, but with Toronto's shitty defense, no goalie stands a chance in goal there....

Edited by WCFIELDS

Sami Salo is no longer a Canuck sad.gif Signs in Tampa for two years at $3.75M per season. I love the guy but frankly I'm glad the Canucks didn't match that.

His point shot will be sorely missed. It'll be weird seeing him and Ohlund playing together if the latter comes back next season.

Edit: and Aaron Rome is going to the Stars. The infamous Horton hit is probably what sticks in people's minds but otherwise he's a very solid bottom-pairing guy.

Edited by invisibleairwaves

Canucks get Jason Garrison ohmy.gif 6 years at $4.6M. Sure hope this past season wasn't an abberation. Looking forward to seeing him in action, likely paired with Alex Edler.

4 D-men on the Canucks making over $4M for at least the next three years, not counting Edler who needs a new contract next summer. Yikes.

QUOTE (PhilCastro @ Jul 2 2012, 05:40 PM)
ohmy.gif ohmy.gif ohmy.gif

Derek Roy to the Stars for Steve Ott and Adam Pardy.

Sabres are Gettin' mean 1022.gif

Disappointed to see two of our rough guys gone.. Steve Ott has been a fan favorite since he started playing here.. though trade talks started swirling around Christmas last year.

He's fun to watch. laugh.gif