Mystic River

Midway Hawker

I just watched Mystic River for the first time last night. It was an intriguing movie to say the least. I don't really understand the Academy Awards for Sean Penn and Tim Robbins (then again, I never really understand the Academy's decisions anyway). They were good, but so was Kevin Bacon.. Great? I don't think so. Overall, I thought the movie was good, but was a bit disappointed in the ending.

I had recently watched "Bloodwork" and liked it, so when I saw that Clint directed Mystic River also that made me want to see it.

Sean Penn reminded me of a younger Robert De Niro.

This movie also reminded me of the movie Sleepers which also had Kevin Bacon in it.

Overall, I give it 7 out of 10 stars.

I like Mystic River...anything that Clint is involved in, is usually Excellent. 

One HUGELY notable exception for me was Unforgiven which won best picture 10 years ago or so - I thought it was a truly horrible movie, and I couldn't even figure out why it got good reviews, much less was nominated - when it got nominated I was shocked, and when it won I really lost a lot of respect for the Oscars.

QUOTE (CanEHdian @ Jun 11 2005, 11:53 AM)
I like Mystic River...anything that Clint is involved in, is usually Excellent. wink.gif

Yes I totally agree. Clint is a perfectionist. He has admitted even though he is a picky director, he does allow the actors room to suggest ideas.

I'll be seeing Unforgiven soon as well (it's currently 4th on my Netflix queue) so I'll tell you what I thought on that one.

I'm I the only one who, when I see the movie title "Mystic River", immediately start singing "Mystic Rhythms" in my head?

QUOTE (Earthshine @ Jun 13 2005, 10:27 PM)
I'm I the only one who, when I see the movie title "Mystic River", immediately start singing "Mystic Rhythms" in my head?

No, I do it too...but I substitute "river"...

"Mystic Ri-ver....capture my thoughts and carry them away...." smile.gif

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Jun 13 2005, 09:11 PM)
QUOTE (Earthshine @ Jun 13 2005, 10:27 PM)

No, I do it too...but I substitute "river"...

"Mystic Ri-ver....capture my thoughts and carry them away...." smile.gif

Yeah, that's kinda what I meant... Too many drinkies tonight... doh.gif