Lol my stepdad...

trenken

...does not like this album very much. He is the biggest Rush fan I know, raised me on them, and these are the text messages he sent me about it.

I'm posting it because he does have an interesting idea about an all instrumental album, or possibly an album filled with songs like Jacobs Ladder and Cygnus X-1 where there isnt that much singing.

---

"Can't even hardly listen to it. I thought two albums ago and am now convinced. Rush should have gone the way of Yes and ELP and used little vocals and let the music stand on its own. This album

proves it. Geddy needs to shut up and play. I think the music would stand but its too hard to try to listen through the vocals. His voice was once an asset and now is a liability maybe once I read the lyrics ....... Maybe "

"It just all seems to blur together Id like to see what they would do instrumentaly with no vocals for an album of stuff like La Villa

Yeh like I said once I read it an know more what I'm listening to that might help. It's just at first listen I got the same feeling as Vapor Trails. It just seems muddled. "

Edited by trenken

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 11 2012, 03:24 PM)
...does not like this album very much. He is the biggest Rush fan I know, raised me on them, and these are the text messages he sent me about it.

I'm posting it because he does have an interesting idea about an all instrumental album, or possibly an album filled with songs like Jacobs Ladder and Cygnus X-1 where there isnt that much singing.

---

"Can't even hardly listen to it. I thought two albums ago and am now convinced. Rush should have gone the way of Yes and ELP and used little vocals and let the music stand on its own. This album
proves it. Geddy needs to shut up and play. I think the music would stand but its too hard to try to listen through the vocals. His voice was once an asset and now is a liability maybe once I read the lyrics ....... Maybe "

"It just all seems to blur together Id like to see what they would do instrumentaly with no vocals for an album of stuff like La Villa
Yeh like I said once I read it an know more what I'm listening to that might help. It's just at first listen I got the same feeling as Vapor Trails. It just seems muddled. "

Just out of curiosity, how old are you and how old is your step-dad?

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jun 11 2012, 03:26 PM)
QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 11 2012, 03:24 PM)

---

"It just all seems to blur together  Id like to see what they would do instrumentaly with no vocals for an album of stuff like La Villa
Yeh like I said once I read it an know more what I'm listening to that might help. It's just at first listen I got the same feeling as  Vapor Trails.  It just seems muddled. "

Just out of curiosity, how old are you and how old is your step-dad?

Im 36, he's 58.

I don't agree with him but to each his own. An instrumental album wouldn't be a bad idea but the vocals don't bother me so much that I'm unable to listen to them. Geddy sounds pretty good to me on most of this album and he sounded great live in NYC last year (much better than on the DVD/CD). Maybe this will be a good idea in 10 years if they're still making music.

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Jun 11 2012, 03:31 PM)
You know what they say...like Stepdad, like son!

wink.gif

I dont hate the album, I think its better than their last few in the very least, and dont think Geddy sounds quite as bad as he thinks, although trust me I dont think he sounds great at all, just tolerable I guess.

Really only posted it because I was intrigued by his idea of an all instrumental album as they get older, or at least have songs with less singing, like Jacobs or Cygnus. Could be a way for them to continue without the vocals really dragging it down. I know for a fact he sure as hell isnt the only Rush fan that doesnt like how Geddy sounds now.

Edited by trenken

QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 11 2012, 04:33 PM)

wink.gif

I dont hate the album, I think its better than their last few in the very least, and dont think Geddy sounds quite as bad as he thinks, although trust me I dont think he sounds great at all, just tolerable I guess.

Really only posted it because I was intrigued by his idea of an all instrumental album as they get older, or at least have songs with less singing, like Jacobs or Cygnus. Could be a way for them to continue without the vocals really dragging it down. I know for a fact he sure as hell isnt the only Rush fan that doesnt like how Geddy sounds now.

I know...I was morealess just referring to the fact that he was complaining about Ged's voice, and I know that's been your biggest beef with the band for awhile now.

It just felt like the appropriate line. laugh.gif

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Jun 11 2012, 03:35 PM)
QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 11 2012, 04:33 PM)

wink.gif

I know...I was morealess just referring to the fact that he was complaining about Ged's voice, and I know that's been your biggest beef with the band for awhile now.

It just felt like the appropriate line. laugh.gif

Lol it was. Trust me I didnt have the same reaction as him to it. Sounds like he struggled to even get through it. I havent actually talked to him about it yet. He just texted that to me while at work. I actually just kind of liked the idea of an album with maybe less singing on it and let them go absolutely nuts with the music. Never really thought about that before but it kind of makes sense to me now as they get older, but hard to see them doing it though.

I havent really liked Geddy's voice much since Power Windows. I really thought it started to nose dive real fast after that. What he sounds like live when Im there doesnt matter to me. I only really notice how bad he sounds live now when I watch the DVDs which are just really painful for me so I dont even watch the new ones anymore.

Only real major complaints I had with this album was Geddy is just stuck in writing standard issue rock songs, many of the choruses just sound so typical and safe, not as creative or out there as I would have liked, but whatever, they're old and I get that so I take what I can get from them and Im fine with it. Apparently my stepdad would have been happier if they didnt even put this out. lol

Musicians who excel at creating vocal based music don't do well at instrumental music generally, witness Alex's Victor, it's neither one. And I was disappointed at the lack of good instrumental tunes on that album.

Most successful instrumental rock music involves some kind of virtuoso solo work which Alex does less and less of these days, but even if they do it successfully it won't sell as well, live or on disc. Some people are allergic to instrumental music.

QUOTE (canadianice @ Jun 11 2012, 03:38 PM)
The apple does not fall far from the tree wacko.gif

Dont have anything nice to say? Dont post. Thanks champ. I see you trolling in damn near every thread on this board. You're useless here.

QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 11 2012, 03:41 PM)
QUOTE (canadianice @ Jun 11 2012, 03:38 PM)
The apple does not fall far from the tree        wacko.gif

Dont have anything nice to say? Dont post. Thanks champ. I see you trolling in damn near every thread on this board. You're useless here.

Don't tell me what to do, Slappy rofl3.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jun 11 2012, 03:40 PM)
Musicians who excel at creating vocal based music don't do well at instrumental music generally, witness Alex's Victor, it's neither one. And I was disappointed at the lack of good instrumental tunes on that album.

Most successful instrumental rock music involves some kind of virtuoso solo work which Alex does less and less of these days, but even if they do it successfully it won't sell as well, live or on disc. Some people are allergic to instrumental music.

Sales are irrelevant for them, arent they? Their albums with vocals dont sell much more than 500k copies so it just seems to me like they can pretty much do whatever they want. It's Rush, there's still plenty of hardcore fans that will buy it anyway, the usual 500k. I would imagine many of them would still buy this sort of album.

QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 11 2012, 03:43 PM)

Sales are irrelevant for them, arent they? Their albums with vocals dont sell much more than 500k copies so it just seems to me like they can pretty much do whatever they want. It's Rush, there's still plenty of hardcore fans that will buy it anyway, the usual 500k. I would imagine many of them would still buy this sort of album.

Without the vocals they'd have to compose differently, in a way that they might not be comfortable with and they might not be happy with the result.

I don't believe albums like Snakes & Arrows would work if you removed the vocals...

I just don't think they're able to write like that in large volume amounts. They've only produced about 8 instrumentals in 38 years...

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jun 11 2012, 03:51 PM)

I don't believe albums like Snakes & Arrows would work if you removed the vocals...

Well, it did Not work with Vocals so give it a shot laugh.gif

Without the vocals they'd have to compose differently, in a way that they might not be comfortable with and they might not be happy with the result.

I just don't think they're able to write like that in large volume amounts. They've only produced about 8 instrumentals in 38 years...

No I dont think he meant just take songs like S&A and strip out the vocals, I think he meant go nuts musically. Lots of highs and lows, lots of variety, make the music really tell a story, and maybe have the story outlined in the booklet, and have Geddy sing some stuff here and there, but not standard issue rock songs stuff like verse/chorus/verse/chorus, but more illustrative and selective singing, like Jacobs.

QUOTE (GUP1771 @ Jun 11 2012, 03:57 PM)
I'm curious Trenken, what is your stepdad's favorite era? Did he at one time like Geddy's vocals, or always just tolerated them?

No favorite era, he loves everything from FBN-HYF. Likes a few songs off RTB, doesnt like CP or T4E much. Likes the music on Vapor Trails, really like the music in Peaceable Kingdom a lot, remember him telling me that.

Doesnt care for S&A, especially lyrically since he's a life long Christian and really felt offended by that album, but I think he likes some songs off of it, like Far Cry.

EDIT: He does like Presto, missed that one. RTB is when they started to die for him.

Edited by trenken

QUOTE (metaldad @ Jun 11 2012, 04:13 PM)

Well, it did Not work with Vocals so give it a shot laugh.gif

laugh.gif

QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 11 2012, 04:20 PM)

No I dont think he meant just take songs like S&A and strip out the vocals, I think he meant go nuts musically. Lots of highs and lows, lots of variety, make the music really tell a story, and maybe have the story outlined in the booklet, and have Geddy sing some stuff here and there, but not standard issue rock songs stuff like verse/chorus/verse/chorus, but more illustrative and selective singing, like Jacobs.

Well time will tell if they ever do that...

trink38.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jun 11 2012, 04:24 PM)

trink38.gif

What I think is interesting about it, is IF they could pull it off and were really willing to put the effort into writing some amazing music, doesnt it seem like it would just be something cool to add to the catalog?

They've never done it before so at this point, I think anything different is just a bonus. But for it to work the music would really need a lot of variety and be very colorful if you know what I mean. You need to feel the highs and lows of a song without vocals, so the music needs to tell those stories on its own with minimal vocals.

QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 11 2012, 04:27 PM)

trink38.gif

What I think is interesting about it, is IF they could pull it off and were really willing to put the effort into writing some amazing music, doesnt it seem like it would just be something cool to add to the catalog?

They've never done it before so at this point, I think anything different is just a bonus. But for it to work the music would really need a lot of variety and be very colorful if you know what I mean. You need to feel the highs and lows of a song without vocals, so the music needs to tell those stories on its own with minimal vocals.

I still think instrumental music isn't their bag on a full time basis and their best ones came in 1978 and 1981.

I like Monkey Business and Malnar, but a bit cool on the "Things" could an album full of Where's My Things work? An album full of tunes like YYZ and La Villa would be great but if they could do more of those surely they would have released them by now...

So more realistically an album full of Monkey Business/Malnar type tunes, would people go for that?

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jun 11 2012, 04:32 PM)
QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 11 2012, 04:27 PM)

trink38.gif

I still think instrumental music isn't their bag on a full time basis and their best ones came in 1978 and 1981.

I like Monkey Business and Malnar, but a bit cool on the "Things" could an album full of Where's My Things work? An album full of tunes like YYZ and La Villa would be great but if they could do more of those surely they would have released them by now...

So more realistically an album full of Monkey Business/Malnar type tunes, would people go for that?

No way, not an album full of Wheres My Things. Those arent instrumentals to me and I think all of those modern instrumentals outside of TMMB are lazy and lame. I never liked them. They're regular songs just with no lyrics. I dont think thats what he was looking for.

La Villa like he mentioned, it has a lot of parts, very dynamic and you can almost hear a story in it in a way. Thats why if they were to do it, they have to really put a huge amount of effort into the music. It cant just be jammed out but really well thought out to make sure there's a ton of variety.

That's something I think could be exciting, but at their age, just not sure at this point. Seems like it would be much harder to write an album like that then for them to break out of what they're comfortable which is these regular structured rock songs.