This album would have been better if...

mart2112

I think a couple minutes could have been shaved off the album (little parts here and there. Some songs go on too long). I also would have had better mastering/mixing in parts (although it should be noted, we have a 192 rip that is possibly a 128 transcoded up. So that's not really fair game criticism until we hear the full quality).

As for the singles, I actually avoided them for this very reason. I burnt myself out on Far Cry with S&A, and I could never listen to that song again as an intro. I always heard it as the over played single, and it drove me nuts. So I rarely listened to the singles.

Edited by Mr. Henry Gale

There are a couple of songs that could have more accessible choruses but that is a minor complaint. I wanted more keys but the strings work nicely so overall I have very few complaints about this record.

This is why, as I said in another thread, I've hardly listened to them over the two years. Initially we thought the album was gonna be out soon after so I thought, like with Headlong Flight, I'd just listen three or four times then wait for the album. And even with the long delay I've maybe listened to them ten times.

Yes I have seen them played live and listened to them a few times on the live disc, but even so, they're still relatively "new" to me.

I have them on a disc but really a two song disc isn't much use to me anyway.

As I said in another thread, the crucial element that CA is lacking is technicality and innovation. I'm not saying that all music without odd time signatures and the like is bad. It's just that I fell in love with the proggy Rush of the 70's and early 80's. I've noticed that when bands such as Rush dramatically shift their sound away from their primary musical identity (e.g. Rush as prog or Metallica as thrash), the results usually aren't that great. You can say that it's improper or even ridiculous to compare Rush's old sound with their new sound, but the typical Rush fan, myself included, does that anyway (if not consciously then subconsciously). It's only natural that a band with this extensive a catalog has resonated with the fans primarily through the hits of its glory days. Unfortunately, I don't think Rush can ever match classics such as Permanent Waves and Moving Pictures. That said, there are some great moments on CA such as HF, Caravan, TG and WTW and overall it's a fairly strong album.

they would have asked David Lee Roth to come out and be the front man...

OMG, these guys are nearing 60 years old. They have made more than millions. Short of Alex punching another hotel employee, there is no reason these guys need another $.

I really think they are playing more for themselves than for us...

And I am happy to spend my hard earned dollars to their benefit...

QUOTE (Snaked @ Jun 5 2012, 07:00 AM)
24 months is a couple of months?

People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff.

I swore I wouldn't skip the other songs, but alas I did. I'm just now listening to it all the way through. The other three certainly make the album better. Eventually I'll think of them as more than 10 new songs and 2 really old ones. The production and mix job really helps this.

This album would have been better if I was in the studio during the making and mixing, to witness it all.