The Wreckers [Italian site preview]

Digitallware

QUOTE (GUP1771 @ Jun 3 2012, 05:54 PM)
I actually thought before hearing the samples that (for some odd reason) I wouldn't like this song. Both samples have alluded that this could turn out to be one of my favorite songs from the album. In fact, besides The Anarchist (which I was also surprised by with both samples), The Wreckers is the only song I'm absolutely surprised by. I love how it flows and the chorus is so beautiful and melodic. I can't wait to hear it in full.

I kind of find it interesting that this is the song that both Alex and Geddy switched instruments, and the song turns out to have such a powerful melody. We all know Geddy is the melodic side of the band, so maybe that had an impact when he played guitar this time around.

Let's hope we hear similar melodic moments in the other songs, especially their choruses! smile.gif

I guess perhaps that is why it's such a good melody.

Didn't Geddy say that as a writer of vocal melodies, the keyboards satisfied him more than the bass. So, if they did swap instruments and Geddy was on guitar, a more melodic and harmonic instrument, that he would find a better melody might not be so surprising.

If this really is true, Geddy should write on guitar or keys and then work out his basslines later. All of the keyboard albums had such strong tunes and for me at least, this is what Rush has been missing since the early nineties.

I have very high hopes for this song, even just based on that 30 seconds alone.

QUOTE (hem @ Jun 4 2012, 02:27 AM)
QUOTE (GUP1771 @ Jun 3 2012, 05:54 PM)
I actually thought before hearing the samples that (for some odd reason) I wouldn't like this song. Both samples have alluded that this could turn out to be one of my favorite songs from the album. In fact, besides The Anarchist (which I was also surprised by with both samples), The Wreckers is the only song I'm absolutely surprised by. I love how it flows and the chorus is so beautiful and melodic. I can't wait to hear it in full.

I kind of find it interesting that this is the song that both Alex and Geddy switched instruments, and the song turns out to have such a powerful melody. We all know Geddy is the melodic side of the band, so maybe that had an impact when he played guitar this time around.

Let's hope we hear similar melodic moments in the other songs, especially their choruses! smile.gif

I guess perhaps that is why it's such a good melody.

Didn't Geddy say that as a writer of vocal melodies, the keyboards satisfied him more than the bass. So, if they did swap instruments and Geddy was on guitar, a more melodic and harmonic instrument, that he would find a better melody might not be so surprising.

If this really is true, Geddy should write on guitar or keys and then work out his basslines later. All of the keyboard albums had such strong tunes and for me at least, this is what Rush has been missing since the early nineties.

I have very high hopes for this song, even just based on that 30 seconds alone.

Lol does it really matter at this point how they write? The end is obviously near. They only put out 2 albums per decade, and they're pushing 60 now.

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Jun 3 2012, 09:59 PM)
not sure how i feel about this one yet.  sounds a little like coldplay and i'm not crazy about when ged sings contrary.  unsure.gif

I've seen people complain about this (pronunciation of "contrary"). I've not seen people complain when he's done this in the past. biggrin.gif Xanadu's "tri-UMPH" with the accent on the second syllable. Same thing.

Edited by Presto-digitation

QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 3 2012, 03:13 PM)
QUOTE (Digitallware @ Jun 3 2012, 01:48 PM)
Some of the other clips don't feel as good in terms of singing, I don't know how to describe it it just feels different.

Melodies. Even terrible singers can sound good if they have a strong sense of melody, and good singers sound bad if they have no idea how to write good melodies, and its something I felt Geddy was really amazing at in the 80s and has gotten worse at over time.

Bad melodies make vocals sound very forced or out of place, dont flow well with the music, not pleasing to the ears, etc..

Wreckers has a strong melody in the chorus, but I dont hear good melodies in any of the other clips.

Actually, I don't believe Rush is a particularly melodic group. Not an indictment of them, [/i]per se but an observation of the genre and perhaps the age.

QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 3 2012, 10:00 PM)
QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Jun 3 2012, 09:59 PM)
not sure how i feel about this one yet.  sounds a little like coldplay and i'm not crazy about when ged sings contrary.  unsure.gif

Heyy I like coldplay for their ability to write catchy melodies!

goodpost.gif

easily my second favorite band.