My Opinion About Leaks

Snow-Dog2112

QUOTE (Snow-Dog2112 @ Jun 2 2012, 09:25 PM)
Why is everyone so pumped about leaks? It spoils the album and ruins the anticipation of listening to the whole thing, this is why I haven't even listened to the thirdy second clips. Calm down, boys and girls. Just wait for the album to come out.

Huh? We're talking about the entire album being leaked. How is that any different than listening to it on release day? I dont get it.

QUOTE (Snow-Dog2112 @ Jun 2 2012, 06:25 PM)
Why is everyone so pumped about leaks? It spoils the album and ruins the anticipation of listening to the whole thing, this is why I haven't even listened to the thirdy second clips. Calm down, boys and girls. Just wait for the album to come out.

Okay, please tell me how it "spoils the album".

Most people listen to music digitally now a days. So whether they get it now, or wait 10 days makes no difference what so ever. If Rush themselves decided to sell it digitally on their site tonight, how would that be any different than getting it on iTunes on the 12th? For those that really like to have the packaging (I happen to be one of those people) - it still doesn't enhance my experience when actually listening. It's just something cool to have and look over. But even when I buy physically, it doesn't change the fact that I end up listening to the digital version for 90% of the year.

I stopped caring about release dates when I started working in the industry, and realized that the majority of the time spent waiting for a release is all for marketing/pr and label scheduling. It has nothing to do with the band picking a specific date, or the experience being any different waiting for that specific date. Nothing changes. You (the music listener) only have to wait, because of the business aspect of the industry.

The only time I would agree with you, is if the leak was really poor quality. But most leaks today are more than fine (and will be the same quality you were going to listen to anyway via MP3. Unless you only listen to LOSSLESS or directly from the CD itself). But let's face it, the majority of people that listen to music are not audiophiles.

On some level, I can understand how for some personally, it's rewarding to wait for the release date. Patience, and getting something on a set date etc. But that's just a personal thing. Not everyone feels the same way, or gets the same kind of enjoyment adhering to a made up release date. And I certainly don't see how you can claim it spoils the music, or changes the way one enjoys it.

EDIT: Maybe you are talking about song by song leaks? In that case, I would agree. Listening to an album broken up with half leaks is pretty awful. But no one said Clockwork Angels wasn't going to leak that way. If anything, it will be a full rip in 320. Most people can do that with basic settings in iTunes.

Edited by Mr. Henry Gale

QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ Jun 2 2012, 09:48 PM)
So good of you to start  yet another thread so we could all see your opinion....which is the same opinion others have shared in many other threads

goodpost.gif

QUOTE (Mr. Henry Gale @ Jun 2 2012, 09:55 PM)

Most people listen to music digitally now a days. So whether they get it now, or wait 10 days makes no difference what so ever. If Rush themselves decided to sell it digitally on their site tonight, how would that be any different than getting it on iTunes on the 12th? For those that really like to have the packaging (I happen to be one of those people) - it still doesn't enhance my experience when actually listening. It's just something cool to have and look over. But even when I buy physically, it doesn't change the fact that I end up listening to the digital version for 90% of the year.

I stopped caring about release dates when I started working in the industry, and realized that the majority of the time spent waiting for a release is all for marketing/pr and label scheduling. It has nothing to do with the band picking a specific date, or the experience being any different waiting for that specific date. Nothing changes. You (the music listener) only have to wait, because of the business aspect of the industry.

The only time I would agree with you, is if the leak was really poor quality. But most leaks today are more than fine (and will be the same quality you were going to listen to anyway via MP3. Unless you only listen to LOSSLESS or directly from the CD itself). But let's face it, the majority of people that listen to music are not audiophiles.

On some level, I can understand how for some personally, it's rewarding to wait for the release date. Patience, and getting something on a set date etc. But that's just a personal thing. Not everyone feels the same way, or gets the same kind of enjoyment adhering to a made up release date. And I certainly don't see how you can claim it spoils the music, or changes the way one enjoys it.

EDIT: Maybe you are talking about song by song leaks? In that case, I would agree. Listening to an album broken up with half leaks is pretty awful. But no one said Clockwork Angels wasn't going to leak that way. If anything, it will be a full rip in 320. Most people can do that with basic settings in iTunes.

Agree smile.gif

Leeks are OK.... they have a weird aftertaste, and they're kind of stringy.

Ohhhhhhh LEEAAAAAKS.

You're in the age of the internet. We all have been since Napster was created. Album leaks (among other things such as video games, movies, the like) are commonplace among us. I don't get why people get so frustrated by them. Sure, it might ruin the surprise a little, but it's not like you're being forced to listen to the leak. Most of the time, leaks are low quality quickie rips. That's why I don't listen to them. If the new Rush album leaks, fine. I won't listen to it because it'll probably be a bunch of mp3s that are highly compressed with skips and other little nuances that I, and many people, can't stand. If it leaks, ignore it.

QUOTE (Gedneil Alpeart @ Jun 2 2012, 10:01 PM)
QUOTE (Mr. Henry Gale @ Jun 2 2012, 09:55 PM)

Agree smile.gif

Double agree! biggrin.gif