Geddy discusses Power Windows

Czarcasm

Thanks for posting that man!

I really like how honest Geddy was throughout the interview. I appreciate the fact that he said he didn't like Grace Under Pressure very much. Nowadays they seem to say every album is great.

I, too, like the sound of the Wal. That's maybe the main reason I really love Power Windows and Hold Your Fire so much. I really love the bass on those two albums, and I think it's because his playing is so fast, busy, and melodic, and he attributes that in part to the Wal.

QUOTE (Captain Avatar @ May 31 2012, 09:37 PM)

I really like how honest Geddy was throughout the interview. I appreciate the fact that he said he didn't like Grace Under Pressure very much. Nowadays they seem to say every album is great.

I, too, like the sound of the Wal. That's maybe the main reason I really love Power Windows and Hold Your Fire so much. I really love the bass on those two albums, and I think it's because his playing is so fast, busy, and melodic, and he attributes that in part to the Wal.

I have to agree, the wal bass is so distinctive and sounds so "Rush" for lack of a better term. The reason I like HYF as much as I do is due largely to the sound of the bass and how prolific it is on that record. Much better sound than the Steinberger used on GUP.

And I also liked how he was honest about their music. I mean, I love Grace under Pressure, but it does sound sparse and clinical when compared to Signals and Power Windows.

goodpost.gif

Nice find. I love re-reading old interviews.

Power Windows is a fantastic album. Definitely one of the best Rush albums and one I listen to a lot. Great production and great songs. Marathon is one of my all time favorite songs.

QUOTE (beherit @ Jun 1 2012, 05:05 PM)
power windows is awesome though, I just like GUP more.

I like all three albums but none of them are in my top 5 RUSH albums, and that was my point...

trink38.gif

I really like how honest Geddy was throughout the interview.  I appreciate the fact that he said he didn't like Grace Under Pressure very much.  Nowadays they seem to say every album is great.

I, too, like the sound of the Wal.  That's maybe the main reason I really love Power Windows and Hold Your Fire so much.  I really love the bass on those two albums, and I think it's because his playing is so fast, busy, and melodic, and he attributes that in part to the Wal.

They've been pretty honest about things over the years. Both he and Alex hate Caress of Steel. It represents a time when the band was failing, but also I remember them both saying before the VT tour while picking songs for that tour that CoS had not aged well at all.

I also remember an interview right after GUP came out saying they were very proud of it and were surprised it was not well received, and then right after PoW comes out he says he doesn't think GUP was right for them.

Then in the documentary movie Geddy admitting that much of that synth era stuff was not the right direction for them and it turned away a lot of their fans. He said something along the lines of getting lost and the band getting off track with Signals and a few albums after that.

Read recently that Geddy flat out feels Tai Shan sucks and should have never been on HYF which I agree with. It just doesnt fit in with the rest of the songs or the theme of the album and for me personally is just embarrassing to listen to, sort of in the same way Rivendell is for me. It's just so overly corny and I was kind of happy to see that the guy that wrote it feels the same way I do about it.

So they dont seem to have any problems admitting mistakes they think they've made which is pretty cool. No egos there at all. He doesnt seem to feel any need to defend what they did in the synth era when he knows many people didnt like it. Takes humility and a matureness to admit that.

Edited by trenken

"I've really had it with keyboards after the last record."

"We realized with Grace Under Pressure that we were not a techno-pop band."

"I think it is a return to our roots ... We definitely wanted this record to rock"

And after these comments, they made Power Windows? facepalm.gif doh.gif Completely contradictory to me.

Until later... tongue.gif bolt.gif

QUOTE (Shreddy Lee @ Jun 1 2012, 07:11 PM)

"I think it is a return to our roots ... We definitely wanted this record to rock"

And after these comments, they made Power Windows? facepalm.gif doh.gif Completely contradictory to me.

I know what he's talking about and have talked about this with my stepdad. GUP like Signals was really driven by the keys. Geddy said he had written many of the songs on keys first like he did with Signals.

With PoW though the playing on guitar, bass and drums is much stronger. There's still a lot of keys but the songs arent written around them and they found a better balance than they did with the previous 2 albums.

The playing on GUP is extremely simple on guitar and bass. Drums are complex at times like in Red Lenses, but the guitar and bass stand out much more on PoW, it is a harder rocking album on their instruments. I still think PoW is Geddy's finest album as a bassist. The bass work is far more complex and interesting than it is on the previous 2 albums. I think that's sort of what he's getting at.

QUOTE (Shreddy Lee @ Jun 1 2012, 07:11 PM)

And after these comments, they made Power Windows?

yeah, I was wondering the same thing..... confused13.gif