Do people stand up in the 300 section?

People sitting at rock concerts is weak IMO.

BUT...if you want to sit down, then fine. But don't expect others to do the same. That's just plain ridiculous. A person should be able to do what they want.

If I go to a concert, and for some dumb reason, I want to sit, but the guy in front wants to stand, I wouldn't force them to sit. But hey...that's just me.

In my opinion, if you want to sit...why not just sit at home on your couch and watch the DVD's?? That's the cheapest way to sit and enjoy the show right?!

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ May 14 2012, 07:19 PM)
People sitting at rock concerts is weak IMO.

BUT...if you want to sit down, then fine. But don't expect others to do the same. That's just plain ridiculous. A person should be able to do what they want.

If I go to a concert, and for some dumb reason, I want to sit, but the guy in front wants to stand, I wouldn't force them to sit. But hey...that's just me.

In my opinion, if you want to sit...why not just sit at home on your couch and watch the DVD's?? That's the cheapest way to sit and enjoy the show right?!

laugh.gif 2.gif trink39.gif

I still don't get why a lot of you guys have such a hangup about people sitting. Last time I went to a Rush gig I was alone and my seat was not that good. Next to me was some dude around 40 with his 12ish year old kid. They were both sitting and I was standing. The dad knew every song and air-drummed at least half of them. On occasion, his son would do the same. Every once in a while the kid would hear an opening riff and ask if it's "x". The dad would reply, "yup". I talked to them before the gig and a little bit after. They both had a ball and were not lame in any way. Hell, the fact that the dude introduced his kid to Rush AND brought him to the gig (the kid's first) automatically nullifies him from you elitists saying that someone is lame for sitting during a rock concert. trink38.gif

QUOTE (danielmclark @ May 14 2012, 09:25 PM)
QUOTE (Snyder80 @ May 14 2012, 07:52 PM)
I paid $167 for a seat in the club section.  I'll stand if I damn well please.

And if everyone in the section, who also paid $167 for a ticket, is sitting down, don't be surprised if the people whose view you are blocking start throwing shit at you.

Metaphorically or otherwise.

That's fine. Shit wipes off. Anyone who throws something my way might want to take that phrase into consideration.

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ May 15 2012, 06:20 AM)
I still don't get why a lot of you guys have such a hangup about people sitting. Last time I went to a Rush gig I was alone and my seat was not that good. Next to me was some dude around 40 with his 12ish year old kid. They were both sitting and I was standing. The dad knew every song and air-drummed at least half of them. On occasion, his son would do the same. Every once in a while the kid would hear an opening riff and ask if it's "x". The dad would reply, "yup". I talked to them before the gig and a little bit after. They both had a ball and were not lame in any way. Hell, the fact that the dude introduced his kid to Rush AND brought him to the gig (the kid's first) automatically nullifies him from you elitists saying that someone is lame for sitting during a rock concert. trink38.gif

Well...yeah, the 'lame' thing is just my opinion.

BUT...my biggest issue isn't whether people sit for the show...my issue is when they EXPECT others to follow their lead. That's just not right IMO.

I'll tell you why I personally get pissed about it.

On the R30 tour, I went to a show in Toronto and sat in the 300 level of the Amptheatre. I went to the show excited because I had Row 'M', which was the last row of that section, so I knew I was going to get to stand and enjoy. Well...I got to the show, and guess what. They put in a row of seats behind us as a Row 'N'. I knew I was in trouble.

Sure enough, an older couple was behind us...and as I was standing and having fun for the first 2-3 songs, the guy behind us taps me on the shoulder and says, "uh, are you going to be rocking out all night?". I was like, WTF? So, I proceeded to do the honourable thing and asked if him and his wife would switch seats with us, that way, they could sit and we could stand behind. Fair enough, right? Well...the wife says, "no, we're not switching". So, I sat for most of the show, and guess what...they missed all of the encore, and alot of the second set. Big Rush fans right?

That's why I have such a hang up with it. That was my wife's first Rush show, and they completely ruined my night. I seriously could not enjoy myself because of that crap.

So...my point is, do what you want...sit, stand, kneel, whatever. Just don't bother the others around you to do the same. That's how I feel.

Yeah, expecting others to sit is not realistic.

A couple of years ago, my wife and I saw Billy Joel at the MGM Grand. There was a guy about halfway back on the floor standing, and another guy behind him screaming "SIT DOWN!". I'm not exaggerating, this guy was screaming at the dude.

Security came over and told the screamer to shut the hell up. The first guy was perfectly entitled to stand up where his seat was if he wanted to. I thought that was interesting, and cool.

Those Billy Joel crowds can get rough!

wink.gif

Personally I go with the flow at shows. I have been on the floor at R30 and stood the whole show (with some giants in front of me - as usual). I saw them last year at Sheffield, and was told on arrival at my seat that we could basically sit wherever we wanted on our level apart from a couple of section near the front. We decided to stay in the section we have tickets for, and could have had a full row of seats each if we had wanted. Obviously having no-one in front of us, we sat for the show.

I saw Metallica at Nottingham a couple of years back, and also sat for the show - the seats there are as steep as everest. I have been to many shows that are standing only, and it doesn't bother me.

But if I have a seat anywhere, and am able to see the show without standing then I will stay sat.

But as people have said, if you are one of the few standing with all others sitting, expect to be asked to sit.

And the guy above who had people behind that wouldn't switch - I would have stood anyway. You offered to switch seats, so it is their fault if they couldn't see anything

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ May 15 2012, 08:06 AM)
I still don't get why a lot of you guys have such a hangup about people sitting. Last time I went to a Rush gig I was alone and my seat was not that good. Next to me was some dude around 40 with his 12ish year old kid. They were both sitting and I was standing. The dad knew every song and air-drummed at least half of them. On occasion, his son would do the same. Every once in a while the kid would hear an opening riff and ask if it's "x". The dad would reply, "yup". I talked to them before the gig and a little bit after. They both had a ball and were not lame in any way. Hell, the fact that the dude introduced his kid to Rush AND brought him to the gig (the kid's first) automatically nullifies him from you elitists saying that someone is lame for sitting during a rock concert.  trink38.gif

BUT...my biggest issue isn't whether people sit for the show...my issue is when they EXPECT others to follow their lead. That's just not right IMO.

On the R30 tour, I went to a show in Toronto and sat in the 300 level of the Amptheatre. I went to the show excited because I had Row 'M', which was the last row of that section, so I knew I was going to get to stand and enjoy. Well...I got to the show, and guess what. They put in a row of seats behind us as a Row 'N'. I knew I was in trouble.

Sure enough, an older couple was behind us...and as I was standing and having fun for the first 2-3 songs, the guy behind us taps me on the shoulder and says, "uh, are you going to be rocking out all night?". I was like, WTF? So, I proceeded to do the honourable thing and asked if him and his wife would switch seats with us, that way, they could sit and we could stand behind. Fair enough, right? Well...the wife says, "no, we're not switching". So, I sat for most of the show, and guess what...they missed all of the encore, and alot of the second set. Big Rush fans right?

That's why I have such a hang up with it. That was my wife's first Rush show, and they completely ruined my night. I seriously could not enjoy myself because of that crap.

So...my point is, do what you want...sit, stand, kneel, whatever. Just don't bother the others around you to do the same. That's how I feel.

goodpost.gif

That's why were getting lawn tickets. We can be ourselves and not have to be PC at a concert. I am also looking for a ticket close to Geddy. But that will be an isle seat. I can come and go as I want. I can stand off to the side. No one is going to ruin my Rush concert! That way people won't throw sh** at me. biggrin.gif 2.gif 1022.gif trink39.gif

I once had lawn seats to see Kiss and was at the front of the gate. I stood, while everyone behind me sat. After getting yelled at for a minute or two, I sat down for the rest of the show. But I got my revenge when I stood for the encore. 1287.gif

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ May 16 2012, 01:06 AM)
I still don't get why a lot of you guys have such a hangup about people sitting. Last time I went to a Rush gig I was alone and my seat was not that good. Next to me was some dude around 40 with his 12ish year old kid. They were both sitting and I was standing. The dad knew every song and air-drummed at least half of them. On occasion, his son would do the same. Every once in a while the kid would hear an opening riff and ask if it's "x". The dad would reply, "yup". I talked to them before the gig and a little bit after. They both had a ball and were not lame in any way. Hell, the fact that the dude introduced his kid to Rush AND brought him to the gig (the kid's first) automatically nullifies him from you elitists saying that someone is lame for sitting during a rock concert.  trink38.gif

I see what you're saying. But the sitters you're talking about are unlike the ones that were next to me. I was talking more about the folks that think the act of just sitting is lame.