Hothouse Flowers

GeddyRulz

Anybody like the band Hothouse Flowers? Oh my God, are they good!

I saw them on SNL back in 1990 or so, and bought their second album. Liked it! Then I forgot about them until this week, and now I'm re-discovering them. An Irish band, great songs with great messages, soulful singing, great vibe, saxophone, keyboard...

I downloaded three songs from iTunes this morning (Thing of Beauty, Give It Up, and their cover of I Can See Clearly Now) and "Thing of Beauty" has instantly become one of those VERY RARE songs that "change my life." Check out this YouTube clip; the poster made a powerful slideshow to go with the song:

Or one of these:

I Can See Clearly Now

Muck. (Sorry GR!)

Like The Cranberries, another embarrassing blemish on Ireland's proud musical heritage.

If I ever bumped into them on the street, I would merrily punch them for giving the world Don't Go.

The singer's a cut-price boho-chic Bono.

When they broke back in the early '90's they seemed to mainly have female fans, the ladies fell for the singers cut-price boho-chic Bono schtick. And his poetic pretensions. And we went, "What a wanker." An element of jealousy perhaps, but that quickly evaporated when we heard the music.

Their version of I Can See Clearly Now is an overwrought abomination.

So, no, I don't like them.

Edited by Hatchetaxe&saw

Well, I disagree obviously.

The singer is very soulful. The music isn't technically challenging or anything, like Prog Rock, but it's catchy. And the message of every song I've heard is POSITIVE - not in a Pollyanna way, but a deep spiritual way.

Love it. And their "I Can See Clearly Now" is better than the original, IMO, because it's both more upbeat and more passionately heartfelt. He puts emotion into the lyrics in a way the original artist doesn't.

Edited by GeddyRulz

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Apr 28 2012, 07:26 AM)
Muck. (Sorry GR!)

Like The Cranberries, another embarrassing blemish on Ireland's proud musical heritage.

If I ever bumped into them on the street, I would merrily punch them for giving the world Don't Go.

The singer's a cut-price boho-chic Bono.

When they broke back in the early '90's they seemed to mainly have female fans, the ladies fell for the singers cut-price boho-chic Bono schtick. And his poetic pretensions. And we went, "What a wanker." An element of jealousy perhaps, but that quickly evaporated when we heard the music.

Their version of I Can See Clearly Now is an overwrought abomination.

So, no, I don't like them.

laugh.gif Why don't you tell us how you *really* feel Hatchy trink38.gif

Nah, sorry dude, couldn't really get into them smile.gif