Grace for Drowning

QUOTE (adace1 @ Apr 28 2012, 09:26 PM)
So here's a pretty decent live recording of SW's new song "Luminol." http://soundcloud.com/thechrisgregory/luminol
Sounds like a Yes-inspired, less dark kind of jazz-fusion. Great stuff!

Luminol sounds pretty atmospheric yet rhythmic, and love the opening bass lick. This is a complete contrast to most of the stuff he's put out and I'm really digging the direction he's going in. Can't wait for the DVD and his next solo album.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So here's a pretty decent live recording of SW's new song "Luminol." http://soundcloud.com/thechrisgregory/luminol

That is pretty cool.

QUOTE (friendlyfloridian @ Apr 29 2012, 05:14 AM)

I REALLY like the direction SW is going. He actually has a jazz prog side to him without the use of snuff inspired motifs!

Bullshit...

It is good and I enjoy it, but PT is where his bread is buttered. Nothing he does is going to be more accepted than that by most people whether you or he likes it or not... His post-music career will be in production for sure, but if he would prefer to not lose money (or I should say spend out of his own pocket) then he should probably tour with PT while he can and follow his other endeavours in a secondary manner rather than what seems to be his principal aim these days.

QUOTE (rummut71 @ Apr 29 2012, 08:53 PM)

It is good and I enjoy it, but PT is where his bread is buttered. Nothing he does is going to be more accepted than that by most people whether you or he likes it or not... His post-music career will be in production for sure, but if he would prefer to not lose money (or I should say spend out of his own pocket) then he should probably tour with PT while he can and follow his other endeavours in a secondary manner rather than what seems to be his principal aim these days.

Hogwash. Steven Wilson is a true artist in every sense of the word, which means he is gonna go where his creativity takes him, and right now that isn't with Porcupine Tree. He'll find his way back there eventually, but for now, his creativity is bubbling over working as a solo artist and with Akerfeldt in Storm Corrosion. If you are looking for a musician who is more worried about making music that makes him the most money, I suggest you look elsewhere.

QUOTE (The K Man @ Apr 30 2012, 02:21 AM)

Hogwash. Steven Wilson is a true artist in every sense of the word, which means he is gonna go where his creativity takes him, and right now that isn't with Porcupine Tree. He'll find his way back there eventually, but for now, his creativity is bubbling over working as a solo artist and with Akerfeldt in Storm Corrosion. If you are looking for a musician who is more worried about making music that makes him the most money, I suggest you look elsewhere.

Agreed!

QUOTE (The K Man @ Apr 30 2012, 02:21 AM)

PT is probably over. I would really prefer this was not the case, but SW's journey has led him to a place PT would probably never go. The sound took on a big Crimson influence and now continues to get stranger as his songs fir better as movie soundtracks.

However that sample of the new song is encouraging because it reveals that Wilson has some power left inside and has not completely given in to soundscapes. In fact, maybe he will venture into a Yes sound, which would be great...then again that may just be a pipedream.

QUOTE (The K Man @ Apr 30 2012, 12:21 AM)

Oh ok.

eyesre4.gif

I like Grace For Drowning... I saw the concert performance of it. While it is good and the concert enjoyable, it is far short of PT. Whether you and your arty friends like it or not, that his still where his bread is buttered. Those people who are members of that band together make it far better than simply the sum of its parts.

Why are you rolling your eyes? Do you think all musicians should be driven by money first?

For the record, Porcupine Tree is my 2nd favorite band in the world, and I will be thrilled the day they start working together again.

And your sarcastic "arty friends" comments smacks of snottiness on your part, and makes me think you are one of those music fans who thinks musicians should do what you want them to do, rather than doing what they want to do.

Edited by The K Man

QUOTE (rummut71 @ Apr 30 2012, 11:39 AM)
If you are looking for a musician who is more worried about making music that makes him the most money, I suggest you look elsewhere. [/quote]

The eyeroll is for your clearly all-knowing suggestion for me...

I was just returning this snark for you. You are welcome.

Sorry if that came off as snarky, but I stand by it. Musicians should do what they want to do, not what the fans want or what is expected. The great majority do the latter; Wilson does the former. And the fact that Wilson is the way he is is a major reason WHY he is so awesome. If he isn't feeling the PT vibe at the moment, going back to it right now just for the money would be a travesty, and the music would likely suffer. Granted, it would likely still be good, but probably just not as special as just about everything PT has done since 1995. Give me the best Steven Wilson has to offer, and let the labels be damned.

QUOTE (The K Man @ Apr 30 2012, 02:00 PM)
Sorry if that came off as snarky, but I stand by it. Musicians should do what they want to do, not what the fans want or what is expected. The great majority do the latter; Wilson does the former. And the fact that Wilson is the way he is is a major reason WHY he is so awesome. If he isn't feeling the PT vibe at the moment, going back to it right now just for the money would be a travesty, and the music would likely suffer. Granted, it would likely still be good, but probably just not as special as just about everything PT has done since 1995. Give me the best Steven Wilson has to offer, and let the labels be damned.

I couldn't agree more. atickhum.gif

QUOTE (The K Man @ Apr 30 2012, 01:00 PM)
Sorry if that came off as snarky, but I stand by it.  Musicians should do what they want to do, not what the fans want or what is expected.  The great majority do the latter; Wilson does the former.  And the fact that Wilson is the way he is is a major reason WHY he is so awesome.  If he isn't feeling the PT vibe at the moment, going back to it right now just for the money would be a travesty, and the music would likely suffer.  Granted, it would likely still be good, but probably just not as special as just about everything PT has done since 1995.  Give me the best Steven Wilson has to offer, and let the labels be damned.

I totally agree with that. That said, I'm not fond of the two Steven Wilson projects, but I support his right as an artist to not have to please me....just like I support my right to enjoy what I enjoy and dismiss that which I do not.

I'm not fond of the rather soundtracky/jazzy/ambient-oriented Wilson tunes...as those two things historically don't do a whole lot for me. It's beyond competent, but not very stimulating to me...musically or emotionally. If my thing was sitting around in the dark and smokin' weed and chillin' with my headphones for hours on end, I'd probably be more inclined to enjoy it. (I'm not implying you have to smoke pot to dig it either...just FYI).

Edited by Presto-digitation