Should I get more advanced guitar lessons?

I've been playing for probably 2 or so years now. I started on an acoustic, and then about a year ago I bought an LP with a Floyd Rose (very similar to Alexs, but it's an epi) . I can play a lot of rush.. but not perfectly. I still mess up frequently. And I cannot play fast stuff. Most importantly, I cannot play solos. (Except for subdivisions and good news first.)

So, should I find a good guitar guy to get me more advanced lessons and get me to be more consistent to where I can play in a group? Or should I just keep working at it without getting lessons, and do more nonlinear stuff.f

Any suggestions?? Thanks guys smile.gif

Indeed, Randy Rhoads was taking classical guitar lessons when he could find teachers on the road while he was touring with Ozzy. Rudy Sarzo's book mentions this on a few occasions.

If you can find a teacher that has a good reputation in your area give him a call. Even taking a intermediate guitar class at a local junior college would be beneficial. A class is good because not only can you learn from the teacher but the other students as well.

A good friend of mine is a guitar teacher here and every 6 months he puts on a recital with his students which gives them performance experience. He does such a great job with them and the students like getting a chance to show what they've been learning.

I have been teaching guitar lessons (beginning to advanced) for the past 22 years and I still take lessons on a semi-regular basis. There are a lot of tools out there that were not available when I started playing in the mid to late 80s. Still, there is nothing as valuable as lessons from a teacher who knows the language of music and guitar.

How could it hurt?

Today there are so many online teaching videos. I could spend days going through them. When I was growing up learning guitar, it came down to learning scales and finger exercises. I would practice on finger exercises at least 1 hour a day and spend another 2 - 3 hours/day to concentrate on scales, chords, and just learning from other guitar players - Alex, Eddie VH, Jimi, whoever.

I highly recommend doing scales and finger exercises daily to get your speed and precision up. This is the mechanical side of playing - being able to precisely hit the note at the exact time. So, in my mind, I divided up my practice time into 2 separate things. 1 hour/day doing the mechanical finger exercises, such as 1-3-4 on each string up and down the neck. Then, I would spend at least another couple hours working on understanding theory, chord structures, scales, etc..

Edit: Oh - learn to use your little finger. One of the main focuses of my exercise was to get comfortable using my little finger, which did not come naturally to me.

Edited by Cowtothesky

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Apr 6 2012, 08:36 PM)
Depends what you want to learn.
So much is available on the internet that it seems unnecessary to get a teacher.

I know that this sounds like I am just trying to justify my second job, but I think that while there is a lot of stuff out there on the internet, nothing beats sitting down with someone and making that personal connection. As a professional, things I learn on the internet are great. But for those who don't have the basics, it could prove difficult. For people who really want to advance, I think private lessons are necessary.