Every odd time sig by rush

Good,bad,andrush

Help me find them all tongue.gif for the purpose of this, anything outside of 4/4 is odd, even though 3/4 and 6/8 and 12/8 and 6/4 are not normally odd...in this case they are due to the fact that mainstream music rarely goes outside of 4/4 tongue.gif

I don't think there any on the first album. Here Again (I haven't heard it in a while) might be in 6/8 or 12/8 I don't remember.

A famous one to get us started.

Tom Sawyer is in 4/4 with a 7/8 jam in the middle and at the end.

QUOTE (Gilbertk @ Jan 31 2012, 06:44 PM)
Subdivisions - 7/8
Xanadu - 7/8, 5/4 and.. I think 2/4 somewhere in there.. could be a 6/4 or a [4/6 + 2/4]
YYZ - 5/4 with a couple 4/4 and 2/4 peppered in

That's not all for subdivisions though, I need to listen to it again though. And I'm tpsure there are more in Xanadu.

I think we should go album by album.

None in the first, correct?

Fly By Night begins with Anthem, in 7/8. I need to listen again because I think it changes, so if anyone knows the change post it! If not, we go to the next song, etc.

I'll mention Cygnus X-1 Book II: Hemispheres, but I might hurt myself if I tried to chart it out smile.gif

If I count correctly, it starts in 12/8, later jumps from 3/4 to 7/8, then later some 4/4 is mixed into the equation. That's just the prelude!

The first part of Freewill (up to "a planet of playthings...") the Time Sig switches every measure: 4/4, 6/4, 7/4, 6/4, 7/4,6/4,7/4,6/4,8/4,6/4,8/4,6/4,7/4,6/4,7/4,6/4,8/4 wacko.gif

Cygnus Book 1 is 2/4 and 4/4 at the start then goes between 6/8 and 5/8 for a bit then settles into 5/4.....

And, yes, Hemispheres does begin with 12/8 then it bounces between 3/4, 4/4 and 7/8.

One of the things I love about Rush is "Time sig? Who cares?" laugh.gif

QUOTE (presto123 @ Feb 1 2012, 03:56 AM)
You're kidding right? Almost every Rush song has on odd time of some sort.

Not even remotely close. Many of their songs are in standard 4/4.

One a lot of people dont realize outside of musicians is Superconductor. 7/4

Does anyone know what the time sig is at the beginning of Freeze? I never counted it, but always knew it was odd. Never bothered since it's a little tough to tell what the actual start beat is unless you start to break it down and figure it out.

Edited by trenken

QUOTE (trenken @ Feb 1 2012, 09:20 AM)
QUOTE (presto123 @ Feb 1 2012, 03:56 AM)
You're kidding right? Almost every Rush song has on odd time of some sort.

Not even remotely close. Many of their songs are in standard 4/4.

One a lot of people dont realize outside of musicians is Superconductor. 7/4

Does anyone know what the time sig is at the beginning of Freeze? I never counted it, but always knew it was odd. Never bothered since it's a little tough to tell what the actual start beat is unless you start to break it down and figure it out.

I didn't mean that Literally but it would be probably 70 percent or more. That's the thing about Rush. They have a way of flowing over odd times where they almost don't seem odd. LOL

Freeze is three bars of 7/4 followed by two bars of 4/4. It is 6/4 when the vocals first kick in and 5/4 when the heavy guitar and drums come in full swing. Great syncopation in that one. VT is so under-rated just because of the production. Why don't they fix that already?

Edited by presto123

There's the section in Cygnus X-1 (3:36 to 4:52) which I think has a repeated sequence of three bars in 11/8 then 12/8 then 11/8.

And of course Jacob's Ladder alternates between 6/8 and 7/8 in the middle.

QUOTE ("trenken")

The guitar tab for it on the RTP says 6/4 with a bit of 5/4 every three bars or so, but I can't even begin to work out of that's right or not!

QUOTE (ChiliFan @ Feb 1 2012, 11:15 AM)
QUOTE ("trenken")

The guitar tab for it on the RTP says 6/4 with a bit of 5/4 every three bars or so, but I can't even begin to work out of that's right or not!

Well, the VT songbook has Freeze starting out with 3 measures of 7/4 followed by 2 measures in 4/4 then 6/4 at the start of the verse. Then it goes to 5/4 in the middle of "ru-mor" and then back to 6/4 at "night" then 5/4 and 6/4 until the chorus which is in 4/4. wacko.gif

One of my favorites is Kid Gloves which is in 5/4 biggrin.gif

QUOTE (HowItIs @ Feb 2 2012, 04:06 AM)
QUOTE ("trenken")

Well, the VT songbook has Freeze starting out with 3 measures of 7/4 followed by 2 measures in 4/4 then 6/4 at the start of the verse. Then it goes to 5/4 in the middle of "ru-mor" and then back to 6/4 at "night" then 5/4 and 6/4 until the chorus which is in 4/4. wacko.gif

Damn....I nailed it. I am a long time drummer though tongue.gif I'm good at counting but like Neil I usually don't count when I play. I like to feel it. I'll say again if VT had a proper mix/mastering that would be one great record.

QUOTE (presto123 @ Feb 2 2012, 02:40 AM)
QUOTE (HowItIs @ Feb 2 2012, 04:06 AM)
QUOTE ("trenken")

Damn....I nailed it. I am a long time drummer though tongue.gif I'm good at counting but like Neil I usually don't count when I play. I like to feel it. I'll say again if VT had a proper mix/mastering that would be one great record.

Good job! trink39.gif

I'm the same way when I drum (I do hand drums and percussion) and it was great to hear Neil talk about how he doesn't count, he just plays it like a melody. You should be proud that you can do the same! biggrin.gif

La Villa Strangiato: all over the place

yes.gif wacko.gif laugh.gif