The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo

deadwing2112

Just saw David Fincher's new film, "The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo."

I must say, the main reason I went to this movie was because I'm an avid David Fincher fan. Fight Club, The Game, The Social Network, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button. Man, David Fincher knows his craft quite well. His most recent film wasn't an exception either. The narrative was great, editing and filming was wonderful, and Trent Reznor delivered another killer movie soundtrack. Has anyone out there on this forum read the books? I did a little research on wiki after I saw the film; I noticed that the Swedes have adapted the entire trilogy into films. Is the "Millenium" trilogy worth checking out? The original books and the Swedish movies? Because David Fincher's movie really intrigued me.

P.S. Is Mr. Fincher working on the whole trilogy?

I loved the books and the Swedish film adaptions. Frankly, I was afraid Hollywood would ruin this series, but the trailer for the Fincher movie looks great and I'm anxious to see it.

So I saw all 3 of the Swedish versions of this series already. They all jumped into my top 30 films (I'm just guessing on the number there) of all time.

Now today I received the rental copy from Netflix of the American version. I pull it out of the sleeve and it literally looks like a DVD-R that someone took a magic marker and wrote "The Girl with The Dragon Tattoo" on. It looked so real, and when I say real, I mean fake, that I was like "holy shit, either they ran out of copies and started burning them or someone ripped Netflix off."

The giveaway is the "Rated R" in the actual printing on the DVD. But it's a pretty amazing job and while I was 99.9% sure that this was legit and I figured I could just Google it, I decided to just call Netflix since they have the best customer service I have ever experienced from any company on the face of this planet. I mean that, BTW. Longest I've ever waited, 2 mins. You speak to someone from America, and no offense to other nationalities, but I hate when I call some customer service and talk to "Doug" with a heavy Indian accent who I can't understand a word "Doug" is saying.

So anyway, since it's so easy to call them and quick, I just called and confirmed, this is a real disc and then I asked is this really how it was printed, or did you just get a batch without the title on it and have to improvise? It looks that...real...er fake. He said they have gotten deluged with calls from people saying "you guys sent me a burned DVD-R or someone ripped you off". I of course prefaced my question with..."I'm 99.9% sure this is just great marketing to make the DVD look like a burned copy to go with the idea of the movie...BUT..."

Anyway, if you haven't seen the actual DVD here is a pic of it. Pretty cool marketing:

http://media.tecca.com/2012/03/21/ran-630-gwtdt-disc-news-head-630w.jpg