I'm on a classical music kick lately

Draco

I've always favored Felix Mendelsohn. In fact, my ex Julie is a direct descendant of his (minus his musical talent) laugh.gif

I will admit that I'm not all that up on "who wrote this" in terms of the music, but I just enjoy listening to it lately. I go through these stages where I'll put all other music aside and just listen.

QUOTE (Draco @ Nov 18 2011, 02:04 AM)
I've always favored Felix Mendelsohn. In fact, my ex Julie is a direct descendant of his (minus his musical talent) laugh.gif

I will admit that I'm not all that up on "who wrote this" in terms of the music, but I just enjoy listening to it lately. I go through these stages where I'll put all other music aside and just listen.

I'm pretty much at the same point. My exposure is mostly limited to those three composers. I definitely need to branch out and discover some others.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Nov 17 2011, 11:08 PM)
QUOTE (Draco @ Nov 18 2011, 02:04 AM)
I've always favored Felix Mendelsohn.  In fact, my ex Julie is a direct descendant of his (minus his musical talent)  laugh.gif 

I will admit that I'm not all that up on "who wrote this" in terms of the music, but I just enjoy listening to it lately.  I go through these stages where I'll put all other music aside and just listen.

I'm pretty much at the same point. My exposure is mostly limited to those three composers. I definitely need to branch out and discover some others.

Check out http://www.kdfc.com. It's San Francisco's classical music station. Good listen live stream, and they always give the name of the composer who's playing. Plus, during the overnight hours, there's no commercials. Just straight through music.

Big fan of classical, mainly chamber or quartet pieces. In Louisville we have a fantastic classical station that plays a wide variety. I really dig music from:

Bartok

Stravinsky (Firebird suite of course but his Patrushka is great too)

Mozart of course, I have a cd from the Julliard String Quartet playing his quartets and it's awesome.

Chopin

Erik Satie...his gymnopedies and gnossiens are beautiful impressionist works, I see Monet when I hear Satie.

Phillip Glass especially his Symphony No. 3, just great.

As a mandolin player I have a special affinity for the music of Bach and I've barely scratched the surface of his violin sonatas & partitas as well as the solo cello suites...not to mention the vast amount of other material. I read a quote somewhere that I thought true, "Beethoven tells you about himself, Mozart tells you about the beauty in the world and Bach reveals the Universe." Bach's works are not only technically sophisticated but just damn beautiful too. I love attempting to play even bits and pieces of his stuff.

I really don't know much about Beethoven's work, I just never really got around to listening to it...yet.

Live classical is the way to go. I've seen Stravinsky's Firebird Suite live and it blew my head off it was so powerful, there is a yearly chamber music festival in central ky we go to...choral music especially is best when live. I've been to a choral concert where I actually saw swirling blue and red while listening.

Since the family plays piano. We are exposed to many classical / Baroque music.

I thoroughly enjoy chopin above all.

I have a Spotify Classical Music playlist. I like Rossini, Mozart, Tchia-guy, Bach, Liszt, Chopin, and Beethoven mostly.