A Song of Ice and Fire

The Owl

Hello all, any other fan of this fantastic series of novels? Gotta admit that I am new to the series... after watching the first season of Game of Thrones, I wanted to read the novel it was based off of.... I finished the first book, and am currently 200 pages into "A Clash of Kings"

I am loving this series, it is really hard to put it down...

I've read the first four a couple of times, and recently read the fifth. My take:

A Game of Thrones 9/10

A Clash of Kings 8/10

A Storm of Swords 10/10

A Feast for Crows 7/10

A Dance with Dragons 6/10

The first three books are brilliant. A Storm of Swords is one of the best fantasy novels I've yet read - so much happens in it, major events in almost every chapter. Tyrion, Arya, Jon Snow, Jaime and Cersei, Joffrey, The Hound - all fantastic characters, and loads more besides them.

Unfortunately, the last two books have hit a downward trend, imo, and it's going to be years before the next one to see if it picks up at all. I found ADWD a real chore to read - so many pages with so little happening, I was losing the will to live by the end of it.

I hope you enjoy them, but I'd prepare yourself for much frustration if I was you wink.gif

I started this series soon after a game of thrones came out in paperback, I wish i had bought a first edition hardback, those things are worth a mint!

This series is for readers whom love to get lost in the world the author created. the tomes are heavy and detailed. But it is not a plod like Tolkien's The Silmarillion there are hundreds of characters and almost as many intrigues. I often see the same complaint of A Feast for Crows and A Dance with Dragons, which are really to be read as one book, of "nothing happening" in them. there must be some validity of it to many readers but I would staunchly disagree. It has a lot of smaller explosions and implosions, the younger characters are growing up, and the butterfly effect of the past generations now span across 2 continents. I would love to see this series go on for at least 2 or 3 more books. My only hope is that I do not die of old age ohmy.gif before Martin finishes.

I've read through a Storm of Swords.... Could possibly go down as the best novel I've ever read..... though I have to say.... after page 700 (paperback)

f**k YOU GEORGE R. R. MARTIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

QUOTE (The Owl @ Nov 18 2011, 01:08 AM)
I've read through a Storm of Swords.... Could possibly go down as the best novel I've ever read..... though I have to say.... after page 700  (paperback)

f**k YOU GEORGE R. R. MARTIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh yeah, I can guess which bit you mean laugh.gif Awesome, awesome book.

Have you read any Steven Erikson? If not, seriously, give his Malazan Book of the Fallen series a go. It rocks. It's as good as, if not better, than A Song of Ice & Fire - it's a helluva lot more imaginative - and it has the added advantage of being complete 1022.gif

I am really enjoying "A Feast for Crows".......yeah, there is alot less happening than in ASOS, but I am enjoying the plot...

I am getting a very strong GOT feel from this book, in the same way that the first novel basically acted as a prologue and set up books 2 and 3, I am getting the feeling that AFfC is setting the pawns into place what will be the remainder of the series.

QUOTE (burgeranacoke @ Sep 26 2011, 05:13 PM)
I started this series soon after a game of thrones came out in paperback, I wish i had bought a first edition hardback, those things are worth a mint!

This series is for readers whom love to get lost in the world the author created.  the tomes are heavy and detailed.  But it is not a plod like Tolkien's The Silmarillion   there are hundreds of characters and almost as many intrigues.  I often see the same complaint of  A Feast for Crows and  A Dance with Dragons, which are really to be read as one book, of "nothing happening" in them.  there must be some validity of it to many readers but I would staunchly disagree.  It has a lot of smaller explosions and implosions, the younger characters are growing up, and the butterfly effect of the past generations now span across 2 continents.  I would love to see this series go on for at least 2 or 3 more books.  My only hope is that I do not die of old age  ohmy.gif  before Martin finishes.

The Silmarillion a plod???

To each their own I suppose. I actually liked the Silmarillion more than The Lord of the Rings. I enjoyed The lord of the Rings but but it was a bit of a plod at times, esp. the 2nd half of The Two Towers.

I read the first book in this series and much as I agree that it was very well written I was not turned on by it for 3 reasons. They were:

1. The lack of heavy magic in the series. Give me the magic of Feist's Riftwar Saga or Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series. Magic light tends to turn me off.

2. A character I liked gets killed following the execution of another character (trying not to give away any spoilers - those who have read the book will know who I am referring to)

3. The events are based on real world events that just don't interest me. I understand that a lot of fantasy is that way and normally it does not bother me. The real world events just leave me cold. If I wanted to read more about them I would read about them and it would not be in a long series of books. Again, for those who have not read the books I am trying not to give away to much in the way of spoilers so I am not being very specific about the events the books appear to me to based on.

No problem with the detail however. Liked the concept of a world with seasons years long. Gives the world an "alien" feel which I always like in my fantasy.

Just finished "A Dance with Dragons" a day or two ago... great book, much better than "Feast", my only complaint was the Daenerys chapters, stretched out waaaaay too long, and while I love her character, I couldn't care less about the people of Mareen.

and oh yeah... (SPOILER to those who haven't read aDWD)

..... I refuse to believe Jon Snow is dead.

SOS is probably one of my favourite books of all time. I haven't read ADWD yet, but I found FFC hard to get through and I had to put it down for a few months after plowing through the first three books in a couple of weeks. Petyr remains my favourite character. ohmy.gif

Tyrion Lannister...definitely my favorite character.

Just finished ADWD a couple days ago. Took me a loooong time to read (roughly 2 1/2 weeks) and that's just because there were long chapters w/ characters I just didn't care about (most of the Iron Islanders) and I didn't care much about Mereen either so I'd put the book down for longer than I would the previous ones, which were riveting. Just kept wishing Daenerys would gather up her armies and get out of there w/ her dragons. I didn't like the queen she was in Mereen. Her character went downhill there, became rather a simp. But she's back now. So cool.

Hope it doesn't take as long for the next in the series The Winds of Winter I think its called.

The downside in all this is I read the last three books in a row. I felt immersed in the world. Now that I'm done I don't know what to do w/ myself. I just can't seem to get into another book easily. Oh well, guess I could start over w/ bk. 1 of this series again. tongue.gif

QUOTE (Alien Girl @ Mar 4 2012, 03:32 PM)
The downside in all this is I read the last three books in a row. I felt immersed in the world. Now that I'm done I don't know what to do w/ myself. I just can't seem to get into another book easily. Oh well, guess I could start over w/ bk. 1 of this series again. tongue.gif

Have you tried The Wheel of Time series?

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Mar 4 2012, 05:20 PM)
QUOTE (Alien Girl @ Mar 4 2012, 03:32 PM)
The downside in all this is I read the last three books in a row.  I felt immersed in the world.  Now that I'm done I don't know what to do w/ myself.  I just can't seem to get into another book easily.  Oh well, guess I could start over w/ bk. 1 of this series again. tongue.gif

Have you tried The Wheel of Time series?

No, I take it it's similar to this series?

One thing I really liked about this one (and someone in one of the comments above voiced just the opposite opinion) is that for a fantasy series it wasn't over the top. There was just enough magic and fantasy elements to seem believable but not so much as to be annoying and cliche. I like the genre, just not to the point where the elements in a story make me roll my eyes.

A Song of Ice and Fire was just well written and entertaining. For the most part I liked how the chapters were broken down by characters...made it an easy breaking point for when I actually had to put the book down tongue.gif .

I liked how seemingly villanous characters developed a sympathetic side over time and became more multi-faceted..characters like Jaime Lannister, and Sandhor Cleghan (The Hound).

The character developement itself is amazing...so many, so unique, so in depth.

Arya, Tyrion, Jaime and Davos are my favourite characters smile.gif

I know I mentioned it upthread, but Erikson's Malazan Book of the Fallen is my favourite fantasy series out there, much as I like A Song of Ice and Fire and Wheel of Time. It's just more inventive and original. It's a challenging read but hugely rewarding. And it's complete, which is a distinct advantage.

QUOTE (willowroolz @ Mar 5 2012, 08:20 AM)
Arya, Tyrion, Jaime and Davos are my favourite characters smile.gif

I know I mentioned it upthread, but Erikson's Malazan Book of the Fallen is my favourite fantasy series out there, much as I like A Song of Ice and Fire and Wheel of Time. It's just more inventive and original. It's a challenging read but hugely rewarding. And it's complete, which is a distinct advantage.

Meh. I've read Malazan and wasn't blown away. I found the prose to be average and the characters are much less developed than Martin's. Martin also has much better separation in his voices.

Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

I'm just now reading A Storm of Swords

I only started reading them after the HBO series. I wanted to find out what the characters were thinking. Stuff you couldn't put in the show. I've basically been books are better, but I couldn't have chosen these actors better. Now reading the books, I can't picture anyone else in their place.

But my favorite was Ned Stark.... Arya, she's a good one too... feisty

Cannot wait to see HBO's interpretation of the Red Viper... one of my favorite tertiary characters...

"YOU RAPED HER, YOU MURDERED HER, YOU KILLED HER CHILDREN"

...that fight will be amazing to see on the show, but as Strom is being split into two seasons, I doubt well see this or Oberyn Martell until season 4.

From what I gather the first part of "Winds of Winter" will tie up all the cliffhangers leftover from "Dance" and have both the battles that "Dance" was leading up to..

The battle in Mareen, and the Battle in The North (Stannis vs Ramsay)

HURRY THE HELL UP MARTIN!!

I am reading that " The Red Wedding" has been shot for the TV show....

The show only viewers that lost their shit when Ned died are gonna have a collective aneurysm when this scene hits...