Keylogging/Bandwidth Freeloading

Fred Star

O.k learned ones.. got me a P.C (Windows 98 Pro') via an ADSL connection with the U.K's leading national provider.. gotta feeling others are browsing my browser.. i'm currently using ISP's upgraded security package, so, tell me wise ones.. is this possible, am i being paranoid or are my suspicions founded..?

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Sep 25 2011, 10:59 PM)
What is your evidence that this is happening?

When people you've just met of a social group you've recently joined and are a bit more clued-up with P.C's, enquire about your e-mail address in general conversation.. arouses suspicions and the alarm bells start to ring.

QUOTE (Fred Star @ Sep 25 2011, 05:07 PM)

When people you've just met of a social group you've recently joined and are a bit more clued-up with P.C's, enquire about your e-mail address in general conversation.. arouses suspicions and the alarm bells start to ring.

They can't anything with just your email address man....

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Sep 25 2011, 07:24 PM)

yeah, you would have to receive an e-mail from them that contains something dangerous that you open. If they were already in your system they would know your e-mail address. Do you use antivirus and spyware detection software?

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Sep 25 2011, 08:23 PM)
Windows 98, damn, man. Honestly, do yourself a favor, that machine can *probably* handle Windows XP if it can run 98. It won't be the lastest and greatest, but XP blows 98 out of the water.

Or at least upgrade it to Millennium.....hehe....

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Sep 25 2011, 08:23 PM)
Windows 98, damn, man. Honestly, do yourself a favor, that machine can *probably* handle Windows XP if it can run 98. It won't be the lastest and greatest, but XP blows 98 out of the water.

Chances are if its running 98, he needs a new computer.......

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Sep 26 2011, 03:23 AM)

Errm.. sorry folk's but the P.C is running XP Pro' not '98.. doh.gif doh.gif 'n' doh.gif again.

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Sep 26 2011, 01:09 AM)

yeah, you would have to receive an e-mail from them that contains something dangerous that you open. If they were already in your system they would know your e-mail address. Do you use antivirus and spyware detection software?

AntiVirus = MacAfee

QUOTE (Fred Star @ Sep 26 2011, 07:34 AM)
AntiVirus = avast!

Fix'd

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Sep 25 2011, 10:23 PM)

Windows 98 hooked up directly to a broadband modem can be hacked by just about anyone.

I certainly hope you are behind a router and have some kind of firewall installed.

You really need to upgrade to something more current. It will be almost impossible to secure a system that old now.

QUOTE (Fred Star @ Sep 26 2011, 08:34 AM)
QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Sep 26 2011, 01:09 AM)

AntiVirus = MacAfee

everyone has their favorite antivirus.

I use Eset, malwarebytes, and super antispyware and firefox as my browser.