Your top 5 Beatles albums

Presto-digitation

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Sep 13 2011, 04:46 PM)
QUOTE (CygnusX-1Bk2 @ Sep 13 2011, 07:38 PM)
One of my favorite Beatle "albums" as a boy was an American compilation called "The Beatles Again" but also known as "Hey Jude" because of the song's inclusion.

Ah, the Hey Jude album! I wore that sucka out growing up. It's just a collection of songs, fantastic songs.

Indeed. Even at a tender age I really got into the heavy version of Revolution. Old Brown Shoe and Don't Let Me Down too. Had the classic green Apple label for side one with the obligatory cut open shot for side 2, for those of us who remember records.

Since no one really releases singles not featured from an album (well now they do with iTunes) I felt like including the Past Masters because there is a lot of material that is too good not to include.

QUOTE (CygnusX-1Bk2 @ Sep 13 2011, 08:30 PM)
One of my favorite Beatle "albums" as a boy was an American compilation called "The Beatles Again" but also known as "Hey Jude" because of the song's inclusion.

Ah, the Hey Jude album! I wore that sucka out growing up. It's just a collection of songs, fantastic songs.

Indeed. Even at a tender age I really got into the heavy version of Revolution. Old Brown Shoe and Don't Let Me Down too. Had the classic green Apple label for side one with the obligatory cut open shot for side 2, for those of us who remember records.

Since no one really releases singles not featured from an album (well now they do with iTunes) I felt like including the Past Masters because there is a lot of material that is too good not to include.

Back when I was a wee lad, my dad had purchased 4 track reel-to-reels of Hey Jude and Abbey Road, probably not long after they were released. Those two albums, er.. tapes- were my introduction to wonderful world of The Beatles. And rock & roll. Quite the introduction, I must say. My world was rocked.

He wasn't into rock, but he obviously knew what he liked. I still have those two reel-to-reels, and the player he built. trink38.gif Dad.

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii282/Lerxster/Heyjudealbum.jpg

QUOTE (Lerxster @ Sep 13 2011, 10:19 PM)
QUOTE (CygnusX-1Bk2 @ Sep 13 2011, 08:30 PM)

Back when I was a wee lad, my dad had purchased 4 track reel-to-reels of Hey Jude and Abbey Road, probably not long after they were released. Those two albums, er.. tapes- were my introduction to wonderful world of The Beatles. And rock & roll. Quite the introduction, I must say. My world was rocked.

He wasn't into rock, but he obviously knew what he liked. I still have those two reel-to-reels, and the player he built. trink38.gif Dad.

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii282/Lerxster/Heyjudealbum.jpg

"Can't Buy Me Love"

"I Should Have Known Better"

"Paperback Writer"

"Rain"

"Lady Madonna"

"Revolution"

"Hey Jude"

"Old Brown Shoe"

"Don't Let Me Down"

"The Ballad of John and Yoko"

I played the "hey Jude" Lp all the F'n time grow'n up.

It was probably my 2nd or 3rd favorite Beatles LP.

"Old Brown shoe" is a CLASSIC! GREAT song!

The album cover is really good too..one of their best.

I'll have to listen to it tonight.

The album cover is from their final official photo shoot. I think "Hey Jude" was released between Abbey Road and Let It Be.

All tracks except for the first two are on Past Masters, as you should know. smile.gif

So who has played Beatles Rock Band besides me? (Not trying to hijack)

QUOTE (Tony R @ Sep 13 2011, 03:50 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Sep 13 2011, 07:34 PM)
QUOTE (Tony R @ Sep 13 2011, 12:33 PM)
I've added some of The Beatles Remasters to my iPod based on recommendations here. I've not listened to any of those albums for the best part of 35 years (my dad was a fan) time for a re-appraisal.
Abbey Rd
The Beatles (White Album)
Magical Mystery Tour
Revolver
Rubber Soul
Sgt Peppers

Better be good...

Your dad?? Come off it you're the dad in question!! You probably bought all the Beatles albums when they came out as a twenty-something teddy boy throwback!! We all know the "R" in Tony R stands for Ringo!

laugh.gif

That's ageism young Sapling.

tongue.gif wink.gif

In no order:

1. Rubber Soul & Revolver: Truly sister records to me. This is the pinnacle of their songwriting mixed with the beginnings of their studio play, so it's a nice balance between their straight-forward pop days and the avant garde, with some folksy Dylanesque leanings starting to creep in. Really just the perfect pairing for me. If THIS had been the double studio album in their catalogue, I'd rejoice.

3. Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band: A sentimental favorite. It was my second Beatles album (...Live At The Hollywood Bowl...holla!!), but my first of their studio albums and I'm just captivated by the playful whimsy of many of the songs, from Kite to Good Morning. What a delight. It has its serious and lovely moments too: I'm thinking She's Leaving Home (which never fails to move me) and, of course, A Day In The Life. Almost TOO analyzed and discussed, but no less great because of it.

4. Abbey Road: Yeah, what's to be said here? The Beatles truly last effort. Geoff Emerick describes the album as rounded and organic....and it is indeed a very LUSH record. The recording is very warm and it is probably my favorite production job on any Beatles record. The songs largely speak for themselves. Side 2's medley is one for the ages, despite being disparate and otherwise disconnected tunes woven together. It works. It's mainly a McCartney feel, with Lennon literally being absent for bits of the album. They played nice on this one to a degree, although the contempt from The Beatles and Let It Be sessions was still under the surface. They really had to WORK at getting along. Wonderful ending. Love Ringo's simple insights when the name Everest was thrown around for the album title and taking pictures up in Tibet, which only Paul was angling for...and Starr threw out "Why don't we just f***ing go outside and just call it Abbey Road?"

5. Magical Mystery Tour: I get the above logic that it's not a true studio album in the purest sense, but it's hard to deny the album as a collection of songs. On just the song end alone it's probably better than Pepper, tune-for-tune. Lots of magic happening here, from Pepper's castaways Penny Lane and Stawberry Fields to Hello Goodbye, the title track, Fool On The Hill, and I Am The Walrus, all of which I love.

Runners up: Beatles For Sale (the first real swing away from pure mop top pop...I'm A Loser: brilliant) and The Beatles (white album), which is chaotic and spotty but unmistakable. Yes, I fall into the "should've been parsed down into one GREAT album" as George Martin also believes, but it's a big horse pill of wonderful and sometimes awful goodness that comes in one size, with one aroma, and you either eat the whole f***ing plate of it or none of it at all. That's the attitude of that album and I can accept that...

Edited by Presto-digitation