Guitar newbie here

Rush Cocky

Hey everyone:

I'm new to the guitar realm, just learning to play. I've been diddling on other people's guitars, and realized it's time for me to get my own. smile.gif

I want to buy an acoustic guitar, but really have no idea what I am looking for. I don't need anything professional (as I am very far from that) but I would like something decent.

Thing is, I don't have a concept of what "decent" is in the guitar arena. Any recommendations of what to look for? I am thinking of maybe getting a deal on a used guitar at a local pawn shop, but I need some instruction on what to look for, and also what to avoid. I am on a budget too, by the way.

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

I would try to avoid pawn shops if you don't know what to look for. The best advice is to take someone who knows with you. The two major things i would suggest are: 1) research "action" on the internet and check the guitar for proper action. Basically you want the strings close enough to the fretboard to play comfortably but not so close that they are touching frets. 2) Fret notes all over the guitar and make sure their is no "buzzing" sound. (caused by strings being too close to frets not being fingered. Good luck.

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Sep 7 2011, 03:28 PM)
I would try to avoid pawn shops if you don't know what to look for. The best advice is to take someone who knows with you. The two major things i would suggest are: 1) research "action" on the internet and check the guitar for proper action. Basically you want the strings close enough to the fretboard to play comfortably but not so close that they are touching frets. 2) Fret notes all over the guitar and make sure their is no "buzzing" sound. (caused by strings being too close to frets not being fingered. Good luck.

goodpost.gif

Make sure you take it to a luthier and get it set right for you. I can tell you from experience that trying to learn on a guitar with poor action is frustrating as hell.

I have a "cheap" flattop, it is a Kona brand, has a pickup too. Surpise me that it plays well for the cost. Sound nice too. I dont have an acoustic

amp so i can say how well the pick up sounds through one. Its ok in the Vox I have. Just goto the music store and play a few in your price range, take a friend whom knows guitars and have fun. Sigma,Martins cheap guitars are not bad for the $$. Hard to get a bad guitar today most are very playible with a little setup work.

QUOTE (ridertoo98 @ Sep 13 2011, 12:39 PM)
I have a "cheap" flattop, it is a Kona brand, has a pickup too. Surpise me that it plays well for the cost. Sound nice too. I dont have an acoustic
amp so i can say how well the pick up sounds through one. Its ok in the Vox I have. Just goto the music store and play a few in your price range, take a friend whom knows guitars and have fun. Sigma,Martins cheap guitars are not bad for the $$. Hard to get a bad guitar today most are very playible with a little setup work.

goodpost.gif

Thanks for the input. I'm taking all of this in!

Any more?

keep in mind that if you get a guitar with an accessible truss rod, the action can be adjusted. There are quite a few good, inexpensive acoustic guitars out there. You can get an Epiphone (Gibson is the parent company) acoustic through Musicians Friend (Guitar Center) for around $90. Always go to the shop and try out a few. You'll know it when you play it if it's the right one for you. I recommend getting a slightly higher gauge set of strings, like 10's (they have a little more give to them), to take it easy on your hand as you're learning chords. Always check the action, like Ancient Ways said, make sure you have no fret buzzing. A lower action will help you out as well as you're learning chords.