Uriah Heep

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Jul 28 2011, 10:55 PM)
The only album I have is Demons and Wizards, which is really good. I should check out some of their other stuff.

Demons and Wizards is really good. I'd recommend Very 'eavy...Very 'umble, Salisbury (the title song is incredible. gives me chills.), Look At Yourself, Firefly and Abominog.

I like most eras, I like the early days David Byron era, the late 70s John Lawton era, the early 80s Pete Goalby era, and the latter day Bernie Shaw era...

I'm not keen though on the John Sloman period

1022.gif trink38.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jul 28 2011, 11:00 PM)
I like most eras, I like the early days David Byron era, the late 70s John Lawton era, the early 80s Pete Goalby era, and the latter day Bernie Shaw era...

1022.gif trink38.gif

I agree with you completely...except I haven't been able to get into Bernie's stuff. His voice drives me nuts sad.gif But I do like that they can still make good music.

QUOTE (The_Necromancer_77 @ Jul 29 2011, 01:59 AM)
QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Jul 28 2011, 10:55 PM)
The only album I have is Demons and Wizards, which is really good. I should check out some of their other stuff.

Demons and Wizards is really good. I'd recommend Very 'eavy...Very 'umble, Salisbury (the title song is incredible. gives me chills.), Look At Yourself, Firefly and Abominog.

I'll have to look into those albums. They seem like a great band.

QUOTE (The_Necromancer_77 @ Jul 29 2011, 01:01 AM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Jul 28 2011, 11:00 PM)
I like most eras, I like the early days David Byron era, the late 70s John Lawton era,  the early 80s Pete Goalby era, and the latter day Bernie Shaw era...

1022.gif  trink38.gif

I agree with you completely...except I haven't been able to get into Bernie's stuff. His voice drives me nuts sad.gif But I do like that they can still make good music.

I really like Bernie's voice and I'm a big fan of Sea of Light, Sonic Origami, Wake the Sleeper and the new one into the Wild...all are excellent albums especially Wake the Sleeper!

1022.gif

QUOTE (tjtull @ Jul 29 2011, 07:30 AM)
Love The Heep!! The Magician's Birthday is also a very good album...along with those previously mentioned.

QUOTE (tjtull @ Jul 29 2011, 07:30 AM)
Love The Heep!!  The Magician's Birthday is also a very good album...along with those previously mentioned.

That one's good too. It's one of the few Heep albums I have on vinyl smile.gif (with some awesome art, might I add)

http://discotecaxaranga.com/images/URIAH%20HEEP-The%20Magicians%20Birthday.jpg

QUOTE (Wartypig @ Aug 2 2011, 12:06 AM)
Mick Box is one of the nicest blokes in music..A real gent .. Here's a shot from last years High Voltage Festival....

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g21/leemillward/uriah%20Heep%20HVF/DSC_0524.jpg

Awesome! Yeah I always got the feeling he was a nice guy.

David Byron would have been awesome to party with, haahah.

Demons And Wizards & The Magician's Birthday are absolute heavy rock classics. Gary Thain laid down some excellent bass guitar grooves on these two.

Look At Yourself is just a notch below but still damn good (albeit with a different rhythm section). Sweet Freedom I've only listened to a few times but it seemed decent enough. Uriah Heep Live is not a very good live album.

Still want to get their first two, Wonderwall and Abominog.

QUOTE (Silas Lang @ Aug 4 2011, 02:58 PM)
Demons And Wizards & The Magician's Birthday are absolute heavy rock classics. Gary Thain laid down some excellent bass guitar grooves on these two.

Look At Yourself is just a notch below but still damn good (albeit with a different rhythm section). Sweet Freedom I've only listened to a few times but it seemed decent enough. Uriah Heep Live is not a very good live album.

I have those and many more...

wink.gif 1022.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Aug 4 2011, 01:00 PM)

wink.gif 1022.gif

Agreed, Ducky. I have a few. They have two key components I like... a heavy, fuzzed out '70's sound, and an early tendency to epic grandness. Sweet Freedom was my first Heep album.

QUOTE (ozzy85 @ Aug 5 2011, 12:37 AM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Aug 4 2011, 01:00 PM)

wink.gif 1022.gif

Agreed, Ducky. I have a few. They have two key components I like... a heavy, fuzzed out '70's sound, and an early tendency to epic grandness. Sweet Freedom was my first Heep album.

The later albums with Bernie Shaw are good too, and the early 80s albums with Pete Goalby. I also like the late 70s John Lawton era.

1022.gif

QUOTE (Silas Lang @ Aug 4 2011, 08:58 PM)
Uriah Heep Live is not a very good live album.

Really?!? I love it...well...with the exception of the Rock 'n' Roll Medley, which gets a bit old.

• Like 2