Jerry Kramer makes idiot out of himself

Earthshine

QUOTE (Earthshine @ Jul 15 2011, 04:59 AM)
Who is this guy? What an idiot!

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcsouth/post/_/id...rips-drew-brees

Another jealous nobody. Brees is king!

Who is Jerry Kramer?

A five time NFL champion.

A member of the NFL's 50th anniversary All Time Team

#1 on NFL Network's list of players not in the Hall of Fame

A guy who overcame many injuries to become an NFL great. From his Wiki page, "During his career, Kramer was often injured. Among these were surgery to remove sizable wood fragments embedded in his abdomen from a teenage accident, and a badly injured ankle suffered in 1961. In all, Kramer played in 129 regular season games; he also had 22 surgeries in 11 seasons, including a colostomy, which he described as "a horror movie that hasn't been made yet."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerry_Kramer

I think he's earned the right to speak out. I don't totally agree with Kramer on this issue (nor do I totally side with Brees), but to say Kramer is a jealous nobody is ridiculous. The man was an all time great.

QUOTE (laughedatbytime @ Jul 15 2011, 07:52 AM)

Who is Jerry Kramer?

A guy who overcame many injuries to become an NFL great. From his Wiki page, "During his career, Kramer was often injured. Among these were surgery to remove sizable wood fragments embedded in his abdomen from a teenage accident, and a badly injured ankle suffered in 1961. In all, Kramer played in 129 regular season games; he also had 22 surgeries in 11 seasons, including a colostomy, which he described as "a horror movie that hasn't been made yet."

I think he's earned the right to speak out. I don't totally agree with Kramer on this issue (nor do I totally side with Brees), but to say Kramer is a jealous nobody is ridiculous. The man was an all time great.

I read both reports and Kramer is ignorant of Brees' past if he is going to say that none of the bad things in life have affected him yet. Brees did not attack a specific retiree but Kramer made the response personal against Brees instead of addressing Brees comments with facts disputing them. Something we are seeing more and more often these days.

I don't care what Kramer has done or accomplished or how many injuries he has had. He has done nothing like Brees has for so many people and society. He has made himself look like the lowlife that he is. To say anything bad about such a great guy as Drew Brees only makes himself look like an idiot. A baffoon.

i respect both men,but to be honest none of us know what is behind what either said! it's none of our business,but i will always respect jerry kramer and drew brees,as players and men,because both are good men and legendary football players.

QUOTE (laughedatbytime @ Jul 15 2011, 04:52 AM)

Who is Jerry Kramer?

Not very diplomatically stated, Jerry, but a substantially valid point of view, I think. Jerry played ball in an era we can't even imagine these days and is tougher than any 10 modern players combined! The amount of money he earned as a player is so astronomically lower than current salaries, I think he's got every right to ask for some help from the current players to insure his physical body is as well cared for as possible as he grows older. An NFL player in the '60s was lucky to earn a wage equal to other hard working Americans...many held seasonal jobs, out of financial necessity, when they were not playing professional football.

Historical NFL player salaries

NFL Salary History

By an eHow Contributor

The average NFL salary is close to $2 million, but players were not always so well compensated. In fact, for much of football's history, players often worked secondary jobs in steel mills, on ranches or as salesmen to make ends meet. The only time a player takes a "second" job now is on TV in the hopes of getting a career once he has hung up his cleats. The high salaries were won through decades of battles with owners as well as due to football's ascension to the status of America's favorite sport.

Red Grange:

http://i.ehow.com/images/a04/oo/k1/nfl-salary-history-1.1-800x800.jpg

While paid players predate the formation of the NFL in 1920 by several decades, most players were paid on a per-game basis. In 1926, Red Grange changed that when he signed a 19-game deal with the Chicago Bears that earned him roughly $100,000. That was the first large NFL contract.

Changing Times

During the next few decades, player salaries depended on their star quality and the teams they played for. Some teams were stingy with money, while others paid in other ways--in the late 1950s, Baltimore Colts often got free beer after games. Starting around the late 1950s, players demanded a league minimum, but that fell on deaf ears. The average player at the time was getting less than $6,000 per season.

The Financial Breakthrough

The Players Association finally won recognition in 1970, and the owners agreed to a $9,000 minimum salary for rookies and $10,000 for veterans. The minimum salary crept higher through the 1970s.

Salary Wars

Rival leagues often helped escalate salaries. In the 1960s, it was the AFL, followed by the WFL in the 1970s and the USFL in the 1980s. Salaries jumped due to bidding, including the famous John Brodie case where he was offered close to $750,000 to go to the AFL. He had been making $35,000 in the NFL.

The Big Money

The NFL strikes in 1982 and 1987 led to an explosion in salaries because the players won the rights to get more team revenues as well as the ability to bargain collectively. That helped average salaries go from $198,000 in 1986 to almost $800,000 by the start of the 1993 season.

Read more: NFL Salary History | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/facts_5005953_nfl-sala...l#ixzz1SD1Q4hv6

Current players are, as a rule, spoiled and wealthy beyond anything reasonable for the "work" they do. I respect the skill, talent and effort it takes to achieve this level of competitive success, and I realize that their windows for earning at this level can be very short. BUT, given the amount of money they take home, there is no excuse for them to be demanding anything more than the owners are willing to give. It is, after all, the owners' game to set the rules and scales of pay for their employees (which are, imho, VERY reasonable). I'm no fan of billionaires acting selfishly but it IS their game and I agree that it should be run by their rules. If a modern player ever runs out of money or lands on financial hard times, there is NO excuse and nobody to blame but themselves! To start with a minimum salary of $295,000, even for one playing season should be enough, if managed properly to see anybody through tough times until a new job can be found after their playing days are done. A guy like Jerry Kramer was probably lucky to have earned $10,000 in any one year...a low wage for any worker and immensely disproportionate compared to today's ridiculous NFL salaries.

So, Jerry spouted off and ripped into the one guy who was commenting on poor money management by guys who might have made in their entire careers what he makes in one game, one quarter, one series of downs or even on SNAP of the football! Good for you Jerry! Guys like him are the few I think should get to ask for a little more help from their modern brothers in arms and their former employers. Modern players can all rot on the sidelines all year, and for many years to come, for all I freakin' care!!! (Except Aaron Rodgers...I'd miss watching him play...)

If you haven't already done so, read this book:

Instant Replay - The Green Bay Diary of Jerry Kramer

These guys were tougher than you can imagine and made so little money doing what they loved, not one of you reading this would work for so little money and sacrifice your body the way they did.

As an aside, and one of my very favorite old-time NFL stories, read about Jim Ringo...oh, that this could have set the standard for the treatment of players and their agents for the duration...

The details of Ringo's trade have been the subject of speculation. For years it was said that following the 1963 season, Ringo showed up in Lombardi's office, with an agent in tow, looking to negotiate a raise. Lombardi, according to this account, was so angered that he excused himself for five minutes only to return and announce that he had traded Ringo to the Eagles. Over the years it has been suggested that that story is more fiction than fact. In reality, Lombardi had probably been negotiating a trade for some time.

The game would be so much better if agents had never been allowed to participate...they've ruined the spirit of the game forever, I think...

Edited by Huge Ackman

The current players owe the older players nothing. When i retire the people working at my company will not care about my money, will not negotiate to get me money and I will also not be allowed to have a seat at the table since I will have no standing as a non-employee. Sorry, this is ridiculous.