Different sides of Prog

IMO, many Prog bands can be considered different sides or forms of Prog. Like, there's no one defining Prog sound, but many different aspects.

For example-

Rush - hard rock side

Genesis- pop side

ELP - classical side

King Crimson - jazz side

What do you guys think?

Can you come up with any more?

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jul 5 2011, 03:05 AM)
Pink Floyd the boring side!

tongue.gif

X2 cool10.gif

Anglagard-the holy hell this is mesmerizing good shit side ohmy.gif

Oh and calling genesis the pop side is a mistake. They became pop of course but they're prog side is definitely purely symphonic and theatrical, so they are definitely the theatrical side of pop. The pop side would be stuff like supertramp, possibly queen, and Peter gabriel's solo career.

Edited by Good,bad,andrush

Umphrey's Mcgee - Improg

I've been talking about this band a lot lately and think they do some really cool stuff.

From Wikipedia:

Umphrey's McGee is an American progressive rock jam band whose music is often referred to as "progressive improvisation", or "improg". Although the band is part of the jam band scene, like Phish and the Grateful Dead, they are much more influenced musically by progressive rock bands such as King Crimson, Yes, Pink Floyd, Dream Theater, Frank Zappa, and early Genesis, as well as heavy metal bands such as Iron Maiden. The band also identifies The Police, The Beatles, and Led Zeppelin as primary influences.[1]

Check 'em out.

Edited by Invisible To Telescopic Eye

QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Jul 4 2011, 11:58 PM)
IMO, many Prog bands can be considered different sides or forms of Prog. Like, there's no one defining Prog sound, but many different aspects.
For example-

Rush - hard rock side
Genesis- pop side
ELP - classical side
King Crimson - jazz side

What do you guys think?
Can you come up with any more?

Go here immediately:

Link

Depending on which Genesis you're speaking of. But I'd say that 1970s Genesis was a goth side.

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jul 5 2011, 11:36 PM)
QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Jul 5 2011, 07:40 AM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Jul 5 2011, 04:05 AM)

tongue.gif

no.gif wtf.gif

yes.gif They're boring...

1287.gif

I guess they're just not as fast paced as metal. confused13.gif

wink.gif

Edited by Tommy Sawyer

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Jul 5 2011, 09:32 AM)
Depending on which Genesis you're speaking of. But I'd say that 1970s Genesis was a goth side.

This. I fukking love genesis. They've been taking up all my time. Such a shame I can't bring myself to listen to anything outside of the consecutive amazing streak from nursey cryme to TLLDoB. Occasionally I'll play other albums but meh. Although i love the piano version of one for the vine and I love entangled.

Edited by Good,bad,andrush

QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Jul 5 2011, 11:45 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Jul 5 2011, 11:36 PM)
QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Jul 5 2011, 07:40 AM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Jul 5 2011, 04:05 AM)

tongue.gif

no.gif wtf.gif

yes.gif They're boring...

1287.gif

I guess they're just not as fast paced as metal. confused13.gif

wink.gif

It's not about tempo or metal, it's about a bunch of guys with somber, sonorous singing voices, with plodding tunes, that are not strong on melody or even complexity.

I do like Gilmour's guitar playing though, great tone, taste, blues sensibilites and note selection.

cool.gif

QUOTE (Good @ bad,andrush,Jul 6 2011, 01:03 AM)

This. I fukking love genesis. They've been taking up all my time. Such a shame I can't bring myself to listen to anything outside of the consecutive amazing streak from nursey cryme to TLLDoB. Occasionally I'll play other albums but meh. Although i love the piano version of one for the vine and I love entangled.

I'm talking 1974-present. That would be most of their career so I think it is okay to generalize them as 'pop prog'.

And yes, I am including The Lamb Lies Down. I mean, come on, listen to The Lamb Lies... or Counting Out Time and tell me that's not pop prog. confused13.gif

That said, The Lamb Lies Down is a killer album. Easily in my top 10. 1022.gif

Edited by Tommy Sawyer

QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Jul 6 2011, 04:17 PM)
QUOTE (Good @ bad,andrush,Jul 6 2011, 01:03 AM)

I'm talking 1974-present. That would be most of their career so I think it is okay to generalize them as 'pop prog'.

And yes, I am including The Lamb Lies Down. I mean, come on, listen to The Lamb Lies... or Counting Out Time and tell me that's not pop prog. confused13.gif

That said, The Lamb Lies Down is a killer album. Easily in my top 10. 1022.gif

Well you never specified that you were talking 1974 and onward, not in your OP laugh.gif

And surely the Lamb sounds poppy in parts but it is still theatrical and somewhat gothic. I think about it as a 94 minute song, and no way in hell is that pop laugh.gif

Van der Graaf Generator is the be careful you're entering a world of utter darkness side.