Rush in San Diego (Spoilers)

The wife and I made a weekend of it and stayed in Downtown San Diego for the weekend and we just got back.

So Saturday night, We left our hotel in Downtown San Diego about 5:30PM anticipating the usual nightmare traffic issues wit Cricket in Chula Vista and there were but we ended up in the venue about 645PM. A 75 minute drive for about 15 miles rofl3.gif But it was all good because it was the first time I've ever been there so early. So we walked around a bit, got some beers, and went to our seats about 7:20PM. Half the place was empty at the time and I told her there's no way Rush is starting on time due to the usual traffic issues...and they did not...but they came on about 7:50 PM with a lot of people still going to their seats.

We had great seats in front of Alex...4th row above the orchestra. As usual, the crowd had a blast with EVERYONE in my section standing for the whole show.

Sound was very good but I did see Alex complaining about something during the first song, either an audience member or his sound.

Older crowd than usual, as I'm in my late 30's and wife and I felt we were definitely on the young side. The last few times I've seen them in Irvine and Las Vegas and it's a younger crowd there

Didn't care it was the exact same show I saw twice last year....it's always such a blast. My "take a piss" song was Faithless and it was the only song I missed despite driking nicely throughout the night trink38.gif

The boyz continue to show absolutely amazing chops and are just playing at such a high level, but I WILL say that this is really the 1st show where I thought it was very noticeable how strained Geddy's voice sounds. I don't know if it's been the whole tour or it was just this night more.

Eveything else about the show was perfect! Thanks Rush!

Next and final stop...Wednesday night in Los Angeles!

QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ Jun 19 2011, 04:32 PM)
The wife and I made a weekend of it and stayed in Downtown San Diego for the weekend and we just got back.

So Saturday night, We left our hotel in Downtown San Diego about 5:30PM anticipating the usual nightmare traffic issues wit Cricket in Chula Vista and there were but we ended up in the venue about 645PM. A 75 minute drive for about 15 miles rofl3.gif But it was all good because it was the first time I've ever been there so early. So we walked around a bit, got some beers, and went to our seats about 7:20PM. Half the place was empty at the time and I told her there's no way Rush is starting on time due to the usual traffic issues...and they did not...but they came on about 7:50 PM with a lot of people still going to their seats.

We had great seats in front of Alex...4th row above the orchestra. As usual, the crowd had a blast with EVERYONE in my section standing for the whole show.

Sound was very good but I did see Alex complaining about something during the first song, either an audience member or his sound.

Older crowd than usual, as I'm in my late 30's and wife and I felt we were definitely on the young side. The last few times I've seen them in Irvine and Las Vegas and it's a younger crowd there

Didn't care it was the exact same show I saw twice last year....it's always such a blast. My "take a piss" song was Faithless and it was the only song I missed despite driking nicely throughout the night trink38.gif

The boyz continue to show absolutely amazing chops and are just playing at such a high level, but I WILL say that this is really the 1st show where I thought it was very noticeable how strained Geddy's voice sounds. I don't know if it's been the whole tour or it was just this night more.

Eveything else about the show was perfect! Thanks Rush!

Next and final stop...Wednesday night in Los Angeles!

I was in the front row far left side in the Orch. pit - Alex was not pissed at his crew or sound he was pissed that one of the press Photographers inside the barrier right under the stage was either shooting video or was shooting flash couldn't really tell - Alex yelled at his crew to get him out and kick him out they did - Rightly so - Yes i appreciate they gave people a chance to get to the venue - Crickets traffic sucks big time - I got there at 5:30 screw the traffic - I'm sure it was a nice change of pace for the band to play outside instead of one stuffy arena after another - Alex had his jacket on all night and didn't even break a sweat - As far as Geddy's voice it may have been the cool air of playing outside at night - I know i lost my voice around 30 minutes in biggrin.gif

The only pisser of the night was having to pay $12.00 a pop for good beer wtf.gif talk about price gouging -

Edited by alphseeker

We got there about 6. No traffic to speak of and we stayed to the very end and getting out was a breeze. Been to a few events and never experienced the nightmare situation for traffic. Knock on wood I guess. confused13.gif Great show as always. I thought I heard Alex flub a bit in La Villa. Came in a early on a section but maybe I was just hearing things. Any one else hear that. Not nit picking just trying to determine if they're human or not they're always so precise. biggrin.gif

crappy camera phone pics

Exceptional playing. Very tight except for a few loose parts during La Villa that could have been improvs. They pull-off 2112 and La Villa now with such ease that its hard to tell.

Thought Geddy's voice was fine although he was struggling with a crosswind that was constantly pushing his hair into his mouth.

Before the break Alex also had an issue with one of the lights. His playing was outstanding. Neil's playing continues to get more fluid and smooth, which makes the music all that much better.

My T.A.P. song, as it's been for 20+ years, is Closer to the Heart. I deal with it on the Trailer Park Boys - and I've seen that episode 5-6 times.

San Diego audience was pretty well behaved. Traffic in was tolerable, traffic out was awful. I was seated, I mean standing, behind the guy with the glowing drumsticks who shadowed Neil all night. There's a video of him here:

Gee, sorry they didn't enforce the "No one born before their first album came out can attend" rule for you, leavemythingalone. May I suggest Justin Bieber next time instead? You'll feel better about yourself. By the way, I'll be there Wednesday as well. But you'd better avoid me being old and all. I'll be easy to spot-I'll be wearing the "RUSH-The B.C. to A.D. Tour" shirt.

QUOTE (jjgittes @ Jun 20 2011, 02:39 PM)

Gee, sorry they didn't enforce the "No one born before their first album came out can attend" rule for you, leavemythingalone. May I suggest Justin Bieber next time instead? You'll feel better about yourself. By the way, I'll be there Wednesday as well. But you'd better avoid me being old and all. I'll be easy to spot-I'll be wearing the "RUSH-The B.C. to A.D. Tour" shirt.

Wow.

First off, my apologies to anyone of any age that may have been offended by my remarks.

I guess it was meant to be more of an obervation, but maybe it was a pointless one...

I feel fine with myself and couldn't care less about the age of the crowd around me.

Moving on...

San Diego . . . . . AHHH

Memories of the 1995 TFE tour, I road tripped to SanDiego & Then followed them to Vegas !

QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ Jun 19 2011, 04:32 PM)

wtf.gif

yes.gif , I actually noticed that @ the Phoenix show too....

Even more so when my Life long buddy "Brian" showed up @ my house. driven thier by his grown son, who promptly told me that it was odd, the reversal role, Instead of Dad driving his kid to the rock concert, kid driving dad to the concert, So true.

Also,

Brian, who I haven't seen in person in over 2 years, probably due to distance & now we both have 2nd jobs,

But, I was in shock, he still has most his hair, but it's gray, OMG I couldn't belive it !

He's 46, I'm 49, he look's much older than me at the moment. doh.gif

At the show, before the show, at the gathering hole, I couldn't help but notice the

majority of men with thinning hair or gray like my buddy, who was blending in nicely.

wtf.gif

QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ Jun 20 2011, 03:13 PM)
QUOTE (jjgittes @ Jun 20 2011, 02:39 PM)

Wow.

First off, my apologies to anyone of any age that may have been offended by my remarks.

I guess it was meant to be more of an obervation, but maybe it was a pointless one...

I feel fine with myself and couldn't care less about the age of the crowd around me.

Moving on...

I'm in the 'Barely Over 40' crowd and I LOVE seeing younger people at the shows for many reasons. First and foremost-- they are often much better behaved! Get a couple of baby-boomers together with a pint of whiskey and a couple of sticks o' weed and all hell breaks loose! It's a little embarrassing sometimes. trink38.gif

... There's a little more chop-busting for ya!

HW

The show was very good and I thoroughly enjoyed it. In some ways there performance was better than the L.A. show last night. They are great either way. I know for a fact that Neil's playing was in top form at S.D. In L.A. on the first night Neil was struggling a bit, but still made it SUPER memorable. Good Shows!

Get a couple of baby-boomers together with a pint of whiskey and a couple of sticks o' weed and all hell breaks loose! It's a little embarrassing sometimes.

No way, if I did that, I'd be asleep by "Subdivisions." Of course, the snoring could be embarrassing. biggrin.gif