2011 NHL Offseason

• Replies 586
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (KaoKun1990 @ Aug 15 2011, 05:35 PM)
QUOTE (invisibleairwaves @ Aug 15 2011, 09:33 PM)
Canucks enforcer Rick Rypien has been found dead of an apparent suicide ohmy.gif

sad.gif

waitwhat?! ohmy.gif

The news just broke on Twitter a few minutes ago...no details yet but apparently it's been confirmed by the local police.

He obviously had some personal demons to deal with last season, but it really seemed like he was getting them under control towards the end of the season. I really thought he was going to get off to a fresh start in Winnipeg...what a tragedy sad.gif

QUOTE (invisibleairwaves @ Aug 15 2011, 09:48 PM)
Canucks enforcer Rick Rypien has been found dead of an apparent suicide ohmy.gif

sad.gif

waitwhat?! ohmy.gif

The news just broke on Twitter a few minutes ago...no details yet but apparently it's been confirmed by the local police.

He obviously had some personal demons to deal with last season, but it really seemed like he was getting them under control towards the end of the season. I really thought he was going to get off to a fresh start in Winnipeg...what a tragedy sad.gif

Yeah, it's blown up my facebook already.

QUOTE (KaoKun1990 @ Aug 15 2011, 08:53 PM)

sad.gif

waitwhat?! ohmy.gif

All my hockey sites are still silent about this. Always hate to hear about one of our NHL family members leaving us... sad.gif

QUOTE (blackhawkrush @ Aug 15 2011, 10:03 PM)

sad.gif

waitwhat?! ohmy.gif

All my hockey sites are still silent about this. Always hate to hear about one of our NHL family members leaving us... sad.gif

And so soon since the last one...it's something you never want to see happen to a current player.

QUOTE (blackhawkrush @ Aug 15 2011, 08:03 PM)

sad.gif

waitwhat?! ohmy.gif

He was gonna be a forward on the new Winnipeg Jets and just signed a contract for $700K

sad.gif Sad rose.gif

QUOTE (invisibleairwaves @ Aug 18 2011, 02:58 PM)
So in the wake of Rypien's death, the debate on fighting in hockey is coming up again. Any thoughts?

Did I miss something?

How did fighting cause his death? unsure.gif

QUOTE (PhilCastro @ Aug 18 2011, 11:47 AM)
So in the wake of Rypien's death, the debate on fighting in hockey is coming up again. Any thoughts?

Did I miss something?

Well, Rypien was an enforcer and that means his death automatically has to be connected to fighting somehow. Yeah, I don't really understand it either. I'll wait until the news comes out about why he died before assuming a link, but for now the debate is going on and it's a worthwhile subject regardless.

QUOTE (invisibleairwaves @ Aug 18 2011, 04:00 PM)

Did I miss something?

Well, Rypien was an enforcer and that means his death automatically has to be connected to fighting somehow. Yeah, I don't really understand it either. I'll wait until the news comes out about why he died before assuming a link, but for now the debate is going on and it's a worthwhile subject regardless.

Why should fighting be taken out of the NHL? It's been a part of the game for decades. It helps to not only keep the games interesting, but gets the fans pumped up again. Hell, it's also been known to reinvigorate a team to victory. The men who are considered enforcers earned their reputations, and to my knowledge...not one NHL player has ever died from fighting.

Dumbasses are overreacting again, that's all.

Just picked up the first pre-season mag ( The hockey news- ultimate fantasy pool guide ) ...with the Sedins on the cover. eyesre4.gif How do they expect to make money in Chicago with those two mugs on display? confused13.gif

QUOTE (blackhawkrush @ Aug 18 2011, 06:02 PM)
Just picked up the first pre-season mag ( The hockey news- ultimate fantasy pool guide ) ...with the Sedins on the cover. eyesre4.gif How do they expect to make money in Chicago with those two mugs on display? confused13.gif

Yeah, why the hell would they have those nobodies on there? It's not like they won the last two league scoring titles or anything eyesre4.gif tongue.gif

If it makes you feel any better, I visited EA's Burnaby studios a little while ago, where they make all the sports games. They still had lots of huge posters everywhere featuring the cover of NHL '10. Bah.

QUOTE (KaoKun1990 @ Aug 18 2011, 03:35 PM)
QUOTE (invisibleairwaves @ Aug 18 2011, 04:00 PM)

Did I miss something?

Why should fighting be taken out of the NHL? It's been a part of the game for decades. It helps to not only keep the games interesting, but gets the fans pumped up again. Hell, it's also been known to reinvigorate a team to victory. The men who are considered enforcers earned their reputations, and to my knowledge...not one NHL player has ever died from fighting.

Dumbasses are overreacting again, that's all.

Nobody's died as a direct result of an NHL fight, but it's not hard to suggest a link between frequent fighting and painkiller abuse, which led to Boogard's death. And we're only just starting to learn about the kinds of brain damage that enforcers have received over years of fighting.

I'm not in favour of any rule change to ban fighting, but I think it's time GMs did away with the concept of enforcers. The idea of the pure enforcer, a guy who's pretty much useless beyond his fighting skills, is a relatively new one; it simply didn't exist before 1980. It wouldn't really be a fundamental change to the game to take out those kinds of players while continuing to allow heat-of-the-moment fights between other players. There's nothing about the game that really requires them; for all the talk about "protecting the star players", they're almost never on the ice at the same time as the skill guys, because they'd get scored on in a heartbeat. They're only there to fight the other team's enforcer. It's a pointless vicious cycle, and one that may be taking a greater toll on lives than we previously thought. Should teammates stick up for each other on the ice? Absolutely. Should a couple of talentless goons get involved in staged fights as retribution for a wrongdoing that neither of them committed? I'm not sold on that one.

It's worth noting that Rick Rypien was a fairly skilled player that could have found a bottom-six spot on a lot of teams even if he didn't take on the role of "enforcer". He might have gone on to do just that in Winnipeg.

Edited by invisibleairwaves

QUOTE (invisibleairwaves @ Aug 18 2011, 10:29 PM)
QUOTE (blackhawkrush @ Aug 18 2011, 06:02 PM)
Just picked up the first pre-season mag ( The hockey news- ultimate fantasy pool guide ) ...with the Sedins on the cover.  eyesre4.gif  How do they expect to make money in Chicago with those two mugs on display?  confused13.gif

Yeah, why the hell would they have those nobodies on there? It's not like they won the last two league scoring titles or anything eyesre4.gif tongue.gif

If it makes you feel any better, I visited EA's Burnaby studios a little while ago, where they make all the sports games. They still had lots of huge posters everywhere featuring the cover of NHL '10. Bah.

NHL 10 and 11 both had Hawks on them...

Bull shit I tell ya!

I was just watching the last game of the Finals. I saw William Shatner in the stands, rooting for the Canucks. I'll never look at Star Trek the same way. tongue.gif P.S. I wonder if Leonard Nimoy was pulling for the Bruins. After all, he was born in Boston. AlienSmiley.gif

First Niagara banks bought out all the HSBC Banks in western New York...

Looks like the Sabres will be playing at 'First Niagara Arena' now.

I know... not very exciting. but this thread needed to be bumped laugh.gif

QUOTE (PhilCastro @ Aug 25 2011, 11:41 AM)

"Welcome to the F-N Arena. How may I help you this evening?"

F-N Awesome! XD rofl3.gif

QUOTE (KaoKun1990 @ Aug 25 2011, 02:10 PM)

Officially called the First Niagara Center now laugh.gif

The F'N Center yes.gif

QUOTE (PhilCastro @ Aug 25 2011, 02:50 PM)
QUOTE (KaoKun1990 @ Aug 25 2011, 02:10 PM)

Officially called the First Niagara Center now laugh.gif

The F'N Center yes.gif

It's still just as funny. laugh.gif