Kahme's Update

NobodysHeroine

As you ladies in the Geddy thread saw, I felt less than phenomenal yesterday, and now I know why. My parents took me to the hospital this morning, just to find out what was wrong with me. I thought initially that I may have had appendicitis, but the tests taken had normal results and I was missing most of the symptoms. Rather, it turns out that I have a ruptured ovarian cyst. ohmy.gif

http://www.emedicinehealth.com/ovarian_cysts/article_em.htm

It must have been my right ovary that had the cyst, because there was pain on my lower right abdomen during the ultrasound. When the cyst either leaks or breaks completely, the fluid inside the cyst is spilled into the lower abdominal region, irritating the abdominal tissues and causing all the discomfort I feel. I was prescribed Motrin 800 and anti-inflammatory stuff, and told to get plenty of rest and drink plenty of fluids. Over time, my body should just reabsorb the excess fluid and the pain should subside. All I have to do now is let it pass. I'm slowly improving; over the next few days, all should be good. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

My dad told me to trust my instincts, which let me know that what was happening wasn't normal. It was literally a gut feeling. laugh.gif

I've never had this before, so it was a very good thing that we sought professional opinion. For some women, it happens every once in a great while; for others, it happens all the time. There's no way to control it or prevent it. It's totally random. My body's going to do what it wants to, and there's not a thing I can do about it. I'll just have to stick it out. 1287.gif

But Mother Nature is still evil. rage.gif

Thank Ged for doctors. They're amazing. heart.gif

On the bright side, I get the Counterparts tour book soon, most likely today. I'll have beautiful pics of Geddy to take my mind off it all. I have a thing for Counterparts-era Geddy. wub.gif

hug2.gif Owch, poor Kahme... hug2.gif

About a year back, following a routine medical, my doctor thought I had an ovarian cyst, so I went to the hospital to have it checked out, and sure enough, I had not one but two, about the size of a pea. Following week, when I went back, a scan showed they'd gone.

I sympathize with you about the pain as it's not pleasant. You're right though, it is random, even though I don't even know how they occur.

As for Mother Nature... rage.gif : I understand completely.

Blimey!!

Never had one myself. Get well soon hon!!! Hope you have a speedy recovery ! hug2.gif

Beautiful pics of Ged? Lucky girl!! tongue.gif

That sucks. I think one of my friends had one of those. Get well soon. hug2.gif

And I'm sure the pics of Geddy will help (at least somewhat).

Thank you, Babycat, LyndseyG and teababe27. I'm feeling better already; hopefully my recovery is speedy. heart.gif :hug:

It must have been a good-sized cyst, since I have a lot of fluid and, subsequently, a lot of irritation. At least it broke on its own and I didn't need to have it surgically removed. Still, it was unexpected. And yes, it is not at all pleasant. It totally appeared out of nowhere. Late Monday night was the worst; I could barely move without a stabbing pain. ohmy.gif

Mother Nature, why must you torment us women? That's not good for business. dazed025.gif

Think of the children! laugh.gif

While I was there at the hospital, I was thinking: "Think about Geddy, Kahme. Happy thoughts." Geddy usually helps, and Rush. tongue.gif

Aw, what a bummer, and how scary that must have been! I've had them myself, up to the size of a grapefruit, but fortunately never had one rupture. They just tell me not to do anything strenuous when I have them (yeah, uh-huh).

Take it easy and take advantage of any TLC coming your way, and keep listening to Rush! Dr. Geddy (or Nurse Geddy? take your pick!) will be along shortly! hug2.gif

I hope that you feel better again soon, Kahme. hug2.gif hug2.gif I'm sure Geddy will be able to help as well. wink.gif

QUOTE (1 of the 7 @ Jun 1 2011, 07:12 PM)
Take it easy and take advantage of any TLC coming your way, and keep listening to Rush! Dr. Geddy (or Nurse Geddy? take your pick!) will be along shortly! hug2.gif

Hmmmm, I'll have Dr. Geddy; it sounds more epic. Not that Geddy's not epic already. And much more... tongue.gif wub.gif

I'm on the mend and mending well, but seeing Dr. Geddy definitely will help. Quite an attractive doctor, eh? wink.gif

Thank you, ForceTen. hug2.gif

I feel so loved. blush4.gif

QUOTE (Babycat @ Jun 1 2011, 04:44 PM)
hug2.gif Owch, poor Kahme... hug2.gif

About a year back, following a routine medical, my doctor thought I had an ovarian cyst, so I went to the hospital to have it checked out, and sure enough, I had not one but two, about the size of a pea. Following week, when I went back, a scan showed they'd gone.

I sympathize with you about the pain as it's not pleasant. You're right though, it is random, even though I don't even know how they occur.

As for Mother Nature... rage.gif : I understand completely.

Mother Nature is a skank-ho gutter slut. Totally agree, and I feel for you. I don't have ovarian issues (other than that the stupid things continue to spit out eggs every month despite my repeatedly telling them "it's FUTILE! YOU ARE NOT GETTING A BABY!" over the past 20+ years), but my uterus is the biggest nuisance in the world. If there were some medical use for the damn thing - hell, any use besides the original one - I'd happily donate the stupid organ.

Feel better soon!

QUOTE (Mara @ Jun 2 2011, 11:37 AM)
Mother Nature is a skank-ho gutter slut. Totally agree, and I feel for you. I don't have ovarian issues (other than that the stupid things continue to spit out eggs every month despite my repeatedly telling them "it's FUTILE! YOU ARE NOT GETTING A BABY!" over the past 20+ years), but my uterus is the biggest nuisance in the world. If there were some medical use for the damn thing - hell, any use besides the original one - I'd happily donate the stupid organ.

Feel better soon!

Whoa, I've never heard it put that way before. But I concur. laugh.gif

Oh, yeah, I'd donate my uterus, too. It puts me through all kinds of inconveniences every month, including what I currently have. I don't care if I never use it -- that's the point. I want it to stay that way. angry.gif

Speaking of, my elder brother's boss heard of my condition and is under the impression that I can't have babies. Chances are that's probably not true, but if so, then good! That's no loss to me. no.gif

One of the first things the nurse asked me in the hospital was if I was pregnant. I was like, "No, not at all; nor do I plan to be. Besides, I'm seventeen. What business would I have being pregnant?" I don't see that ever happening. Dude, I've got a pesky ovarian cyst -- I've got enough problems already. ohmy.gif

Okay, rantoff.gif. And thank you. I'll try. tongue.gif

QUOTE (Mara @ Jun 2 2011, 04:37 PM)
QUOTE (Babycat @ Jun 1 2011, 04:44 PM)
hug2.gif  Owch, poor Kahme...  hug2.gif 

As for Mother Nature...  rage.gif : I understand completely.

Feel better soon!

If I thought I could donate both my ovaries and uterus to science I would...

rage.gif Darn you, Mother Nature, for making me cranky every month, for releasing eggs that's not needed, for making me shed the claret for about five months at a time..! rage.gif @%!*

QUOTE (1 of the 7 @ Jun 2 2011, 08:25 PM)
Whenever I have female issues, I joke, "I'm gonna dress up as a dog and get in line at the spay/neuter clinic. Think it'll work"? tongue.gif

I've had my tubes tied - had it done when I was 26; I knew all my life that I didn't want to have kids.

I frequently tell people I've been "spayed"! And it cost me something like $20 out of pocket - the insurance company was THRILLED that I would no longer be a potential cost to them for pregnancy/maternity.

QUOTE (Mara @ Jun 2 2011, 07:36 PM)
QUOTE (1 of the 7 @ Jun 2 2011, 08:25 PM)
Whenever I have female issues, I joke, "I'm gonna dress up as a dog and get in line at the spay/neuter clinic. Think it'll work"? tongue.gif

I've had my tubes tied - had it done when I was 26; I knew all my life that I didn't want to have kids.

I frequently tell people I've been "spayed"! And it cost me something like $20 out of pocket - the insurance company was THRILLED that I would no longer be a potential cost to them for pregnancy/maternity.

That's cool, especially with the insurance. I can't belive mine would pay for that much, but I've never really looked into it. I wouldn't mind having the whole mess out, though! I think hormonal issues are behind almost all my health challenges.

See, this is why when I hear a guy say, "I wish I was a woman" I slap them silly (metaphorically).

It's a nasty thing to have to deal with, Kahme. I've been there. Keep an eye out for any unexplained pain in an extremity.... it doesn't happen much but a clot from the exploded ovary can sometimes travel around. I ended up with one in my leg. Of course, I am a LOT older than you and that is probably a consideration. Just be aware, though.

Yeah, Mama can be a total bitch sometimes. She does it just to let us know who runs the show, I think.

hug2.gif Hope you're feeling up to Geddy-jumping very soon! wink.gif

QUOTE (LyndseyG @ Jun 11 2011, 12:21 PM)
How ya doing now hun?

I am much better now. The discomfort is pretty much gone by this point. tongue.gif

We just need to watch for other cysts in the future. I wasn't expecting this one at all, but as I said, it's random. ohmy.gif

QUOTE (NobodysHeroine @ Jun 11 2011, 01:06 PM)
QUOTE (LyndseyG @ Jun 11 2011, 12:21 PM)
How ya doing now hun?

I am much better now. The discomfort is pretty much gone by this point. tongue.gif

We just need to watch for other cysts in the future. I wasn't expecting this one at all, but as I said, it's random. ohmy.gif

Glad to hear you're better! new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif