Introducing someone to prog

All right guys, please help me score sad.gif as a rush fan you know how hard this is unsure.gif

Okay, just messing. So my friend comes up to me and says that my friend showed her a porcupine tree song. She liked it. I showed her Firth of Fifth. She liked it. She is very open-minded and listens to a lot of different type of music, but never goes that deep into the musical world or explores certain bands careers. She likes all the hits from practically every genre, from classical to rap to jazz to classic rock to metal to country.

So I'm compiling a list of ten bands (some of which ARE NOT prog, but have A FEW similarities; this will make her more comfortable in listening to the music) and four songs each. Three songs and an epic from each band. Here is my list but I know it is missing crucial stuff, so can you all help? (No matter what though, I am leaving those aforementioned NOT prog bands, three of them) I am also including songs from PROG bands that were not from their PROG era, just to make it easier for her. There are modern and old bands.

Rush-prime mover, bravado, armor and sword, la villa strangiato

Van der Graaf Generator-house with no door, my room, snake oil, a plague of lighthouse keepers

Genesis-dancing with the moonlit knight, follow you follow me, the lamia, supper's ready

Yes-changes, roundabout, and you and I, close to the edge

Tool (and A Perfect Circle)-3 Libras, Weak And Powerless, The Patient, lateralus

Porcupine Tree-trains, the start of something beautiful, pure narcotic, anesthetize

Jethro Tull-aqualung, dot com, living in the past, thick as a brick

Queen-my fairy king, teo torriate, don't try suicide, march of the black queen

Pink Floyd-wish you were here, time, comfortably numb, echoes

Dire Straits-sultans of swing, it never rains, tunnel of love, telegraph road

Would that get somebody to want to explore, you think?

QUOTE (In A Tidewater Surge @ May 26 2011, 06:43 PM)
I'd suggest some Captain Beefheart

I want to keep it at ten but I might remove Tool, Yes or Jethro Tull. What four songs would you suggest?

And she loves Barry White biggrin.gif

I think unsure.gif she supposedly loves every type of music wacko.gif so hopefully she will really like this, because nothing actually stays with her.

QUOTE (In A Tidewater Surge @ May 26 2011, 06:50 PM)
For Beefheart I'd say... Electricity, The Blimp (Mousetrapreplica), The Host, the Ghost, the Most Holy-O, and Ice Cream for Crow

Electricity is strangely psychedelic, i like it applaudit.gif

I guess I need to explore captain beef heart more myself as I only know that song and a few others. But i will remove tool wink.gif and put captain beef heart.

QUOTE (In A Tidewater Surge @ May 26 2011, 06:53 PM)
Sweet! I've only listened to 3 of his albums so far, but Trout Mask Replica is my #1 album unsure.gif

I don't think I can ever say that because i have to explore the entire discography or at least most of it...what if you're missing out on something better? unsure.gif

QUOTE (Good,bad,andrush @ May 26 2011, 07:36 PM)

062802puke_prv.gif You don't want to scare her away from Rush! tongue.gif If you are going for accessible songs, try The Pass. confused13.gif Or anything but Armor and Sword.

QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ May 26 2011, 08:02 PM)
QUOTE (Good @ bad,andrush,May 26 2011, 07:36 PM)

062802puke_prv.gif You don't want to scare her away from Rush! tongue.gif If you are going for accessible songs, try The Pass. confused13.gif Or anything but Armor and Sword.

A&S is one of rush's best songs in a while IMO. I think it's a good song to introduce to a new fan. The Pass is a good choice too.

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ May 26 2011, 08:08 PM)

A&S is one of rush's best songs in a while IMO. I think it's a good song to introduce to a new fan. The Pass is a good choice too.

Sorry for posting so negatively. I just dislike Armor and Sword. A lot.

QUOTE (Tony R @ May 26 2011, 08:14 PM)
For Rush just go with Spirit of Radio, Tom Sawyer and Limelight. Or Closer To The Heart and The Trees.

Or just knock her socks off with Xanadu...

goodpost.gif

QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ May 26 2011, 08:09 PM)

No need to apologize. Everyones tastes are different.

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ May 26 2011, 08:30 PM)

Thank you far not having a huge ego, like many members here. (not naming names wink.gif )

But yes, to each his own. I can see why one would like AaS, I just personally don't.

Edited by Tommy Sawyer

QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ May 26 2011, 05:34 PM)

Thank you far not having a huge ego, like many members here. (not naming names wink.gif )

But yes, to each his own. I can see why one would like AaS, I just personally don't.

Can't help but feel this is aimed at me... ph34r.gif

QUOTE (In A Tidewater Surge @ May 26 2011, 08:36 PM)
QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ May 26 2011, 05:34 PM)

Can't help but feel this is aimed at me... ph34r.gif

Like I said, not naming names. wink.gif

QUOTE (Good,bad,andrush @ May 26 2011, 06:46 PM)
QUOTE (In A Tidewater Surge @ May 26 2011, 06:43 PM)
I'd suggest some Captain Beefheart

I want to keep it at ten but I might remove Tool, Yes or Jethro Tull. What four songs would you suggest?

And she loves Barry White biggrin.gif

I think unsure.gif she supposedly loves every type of music wacko.gif so hopefully she will really like this, because nothing actually stays with her.

Captain Beffheart is too wicked, men. It probably will scare she, instead of attracting her. No ofence, but i think its a bad idea.