Which album should I buy?

Tommy Sawyer

Of those three, I'd say the "can't go wrong" album is Brain Salad Surgery. Tales is amazing...but it's a love it or hate it kind of thing. Can't comment on the DT album, I only own their first two records.

For DT...I'd go with "Images and Words" for your first. Based on where you are musically...from what I've gathered in a post at least...this will get you started in the right direction.

ELP..."Tarkus."

Yes..."Relayer."

That's what I think. Especially in the case of DT. That's a sure thing.

"Images & Words" was the first DT album that I bought as at the time it seemed to be their highest rated and to be honest I was very disappointed with it. To me it sounded like a very average Queenryche album (I guess that comment will get me flamed). I stayed away from them until someone sent me a compilation CD which contained the title track from "Octavarium" and I was blown away by it.

Whatever you end up buying Tommy, enjoy your adventures in Prog. Have you tried anything by Phideaux? I've just bought "Snowtorch" and I'm loving it.

QUOTE (Imaginos @ May 13 2011, 01:19 PM)
"Images & Words" was the first DT album that I bought as at the time it seemed to be their highest rated and to be honest I was very disappointed with it. To me it sounded like a very average Queenryche album (I guess that comment will get me flamed). I stayed away from them until someone sent me a compilation CD which contained the title track from "Octavarium" and I was blown away by it.

Whatever you end up buying Tommy, enjoy your adventures in Prog. Have you tried anything by Phideaux? I've just bought "Snowtorch" and I'm loving it.

Flamed...nah. "I&W" is not exactly my favorite DT record. I'm a "Six Degrees" guy...and I'd say many would choose "Scenes From a Memory." The reason I'd start there is that it is an easily digestible starter record. It's not overly complicated or cluttered. Same reason if he asked about Radiohead...I'd say "The Bends," or PT I'd say "In Absentia."

I don't think any 2 DT fans agree at all on the ranking of the catalog. My list would surely differ from anyone else's. So...anywho, I'd bet at least a few people would agree with your view on "I&W."

For me it's third or fourth...

Archived