The Cars - Move Like This

The Cat 3

I just got home from the Bay Area.

It was really fun to see these guys again. I'm glad I went and I'm glad we were part of it.

If it matters to anyone, be warned...SPOILERS AHEAD!

As for the show itself, it had positives and negatives. Being only the third show , there are still some kinks to work out. In the beginning the sound was kind of muddled. Not nearly as crisp and clear as The Cars normally are. That got it fixed about a third of the way through, and they sounded better and tighter as the night went on.

Except...when they tried to introduce a new song to the setlist they hadn't played the first two nights: Touch and Go. Man, they botched that pretty badly! They were so out of sync Ocasek didn't even sing the first section. They caught up to each other and straightened it out, and at the end of the song Ocasek turned to Elliott Easton and said sarcastically "Yeah, we've got that one down all right...."

laugh.gif

Lastly, the show was very short. Even though they played 18 songs, it just under 90 minutes.

Now for the positives: the new songs sounded great, especially Free and Sad Song. And some of the old stuff was just so great to hear. Best Friend's Girl sounded fantastic, and Easton was right on the solo. He is a monster, and I don't care what anyone else says. He and Greg Hawkes have such great charisma and talent, it makes up for Ocasek's statue-like delivery. Ocasek's vocals sounded perfect, and he carried off Ben's songs quite nicely.

There were a couple of interesting choices that actually worked (I'm in Touch With Your World, I'm Not the One) a couple of deep cuts (Up and Down, Heartbeat City) that were really spectacular, and a smattering of the big hits (Let's Go, You Might Think).

A nice moment came when Greg Hawkes picked up a bass that belonged to Benjamin Orr to play on a couple of songs, and he said "A tip of the hat to our friend Ben." It was a very nice moment. The bass stayed onstage the whole time.

Overall, a very fun night. We had a great time.

The complete setlist was:

Good Times Roll

Blue Tip

Since You're Gone

Up and Down

My Best Friend's Girl

Hits Me

Touch and Go

I'm in Touch With Your World

Keep On Knocking

You Might Think

Drag On Forever

Free

I'm Not the One

Sad Song

Heartbeat City

Let's Go

Encore

Moving In Stereo

Just What I Needed

I am watching the HD video of the Oaklnd show that up on the Dime and I must say they are as dull as ever. schla03.gif . Come on guys rip off an awesome gutiar solo, give a half-ass drum roll , spit blood or something yer killin' me. eh.gif

Ric Ocasek looks like Roy Orbison now. rofl3.gif

QUOTE (nappy2112 @ May 18 2011, 03:11 PM)
I am watching the HD video of the Oaklnd show that up on the Dime and I must say they are as dull as ever. schla03.gif . Come on guys rip off an awesome gutiar solo, give a half-ass drum roll , spit blood or something yer killin' me. eh.gif

Ric Ocasek looks like Roy Orbison now. rofl3.gif

I love The Cars' first 2 albums, a lot.....but they are awful live. Always have been. Definately a studio band.

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ May 18 2011, 05:22 PM)
QUOTE (nappy2112 @ May 18 2011, 03:11 PM)
I am watching the HD video of the Oaklnd show that up on the Dime and I must say they are as dull as ever.  schla03.gif . Come on guys rip off an awesome gutiar solo, give a half-ass drum roll , spit blood or something yer killin' me.  eh.gif

Ric Ocasek looks like Roy Orbison now.  rofl3.gif

I love The Cars' first 2 albums, a lot.....but they are awful live. Always have been. Definately a studio band.

I agree they're not the most dynamic band, but their sound is near perfect. They are definitely talented musicians. Like I said earlier, I think Hawkes and Easton have great stage presence. It's just Ocasek who is stiff. I'm not sure what his deal is. Too cool, I guess...

cool.gif

QUOTE (GeddyLeeRoth @ May 20 2011, 10:15 PM)
Maybe someone should tell The Cars that no one listens to cassettes anymore so they'll be sure to release the album on those silver thingies.

laugh.gif

But I just dusted off my tape recorder!!

Actually, I downloaded it from iTunes.

tongue.gif