kind of silly...

liddybuck01

You're implying that they owe us something. They owe us nothing, not even a meet and greet. These types of fans annoy me to a great extent. Acting like the band really just owes us something when they don't have an obligation to give us anything. I like Lady Gaga, and I find it nice that she meets with her fans like this; but if you're going to say that Rush isn't good to their fans and imply that they owe us something on the whole, it isn't worth the time.

wow, overreact much?

my point was that I thought it was cool that she even noticed that the guy went to all those shows. she didn't have to invite him bakstage, just a thank you is enough.

and you're right, I'm sure in a few years she might not think about it, but for being one of the biggest acts in the country right now, I thought it was sweet that she would take time to do that.

I don't think liddybuck was saying not good, she was saying "that" good.

It's got nothing to do with Rush owing us anything. But it's nice that some artists appreciate their fans and do the "extra" stuff. Some artists like to acknowledge those that support their careers.

^exactly.

Im not saying give us all m&g passes or free merch, but maybe make passes easier to obtain, and not charge $80 for a sweater.

No, they dont owe us anything. It was just about showing appreciation.

Rush shows enough appreciation to their fans by playing a three hour show every tour. How many other arena rock bands do that? Bruce Spingsteen is the only other one that comes to mind right away. That makes Rush pretty special band if you ask me.

They owe the fans nothing more than to record good music and perform it for them live better than anyone else can. Honestly, I have no interest in meeting anyone from Rush or any other band I like. I love them for their music and couldn't care less what any of them are like as a person.

when someone lacks creative originality she better be good to her fans

Rush shows their appreciation by performing for their fans. In this case, Lady Gaga does the same thing plus a little extra.

Some people have no problem going the extra mile.

Some waiters and waitresses go the extra mile for service, they get a bigger tip from me.

Also if you think about it how many Lady Gaga fans go to 20 or more shows compared to Rush fans. There's literally hundreds that go to 20 or more Rush shows,

I Thinks its easier for Lady Gaga to meet the one as nice as that is and props to Lady Gaga then for Rush with the 100's

Maybe Im wrong on this prospective

QUOTE (RUSHFREAK101 @ Apr 21 2011, 11:52 AM)
Also if you think about it how many Lady Gaga fans go to 20 or more shows compared to Rush fans. There's literally hundreds that go to 20 or more Rush shows,

I Thinks its easier for Lady Gaga to meet the one as nice as that is and props to Lady Gaga then for Rush with the 100's

Maybe Im wrong on this prospective

valid point

Just wanted to add my thoughts here......

I don't think a band owes its fans anything other than their music and a good show. Rush has done that for many, many, many years. People complain that they are just going for the big cash grab making gobs of cash by touring and not finishing CA. Why shouldn't they get paid for their jobs? Would you work for free? Touring is hard work, not a vacation that everyone seems to think it is. They have sacrificed a lot by being away from home from family etc for years and years to tour and keep fans happy. And now they finally are getting more mainstream recognition and people are bitching about selling out or being just about the money??? I think those fans are just pissed that Rush is not "their band" anymore and they are getting some well deserved recognition from the masses. So lighten up everyone... if you don't want to see the same kickass tour as last year then DON'T!! Don't like the setlist cause it is too 'mainstream' for you and not cool enough? Don't go.

I do think going on about what is or is not OWED to fans is a bit beside the point.

There are bands that seem to regard their fans with near contempt. Suggesting that of Rush did not appear to be the point of the thread.

I do think comparing Lady Gaga's action does not hold the same weight at this point in her career as Rush's. (Even though it is refreshing to see that she reaches out to fans)

However, this is not far from how Rush was in the early days (sans Neil, of course). I've heard stories of cool things they've done for their fans on an individual basis. There just wasn't a lot of publicity about it back then. (Could be too because they weren't uber-popular, but that's not the point either) A lot of bands actually hang out with fans sometimes. (Flogging Molly, for instance).

Secondly, while this is purely conjecture, who says they still don't sometimes. Maybe they just don't make a big deal about it. Does Perez Hilton follow Rush?

Just food for thought, in a semi-rant format.

I wouldn't say that Rush doesn't appreciate their fans. I'm saying that other bands appreciate their fans much more.

once again, I guess my point was, for her being one of the most famous/known performers out right now, I thought it was cool.

I've not been a Rush fan since the 70's or anything, so idk how they're interacted with fans in the past. I'm just going by what I know now.

and I agree with whoever said about how some bands go out of their way to be cool with fans. for example, my husband and I have followed the band the black dahlia murder since their first album, when they played crappy bars and stuff. from going to shows for so long and meeting them and talking to them at each show, now when we go they come up to us and say hi and hug me and all that, and now they're quite famous in the metal scene. i also know the girls in kittie, and a lot of my friends have been to their homes and text them and they wish me happy bday or post funny pics on my facebook, and my friends and myself all started out as fans. like you said tho, not all bands do the same, but when they do, it makes you like the band even more.

Archived