RushTour Forum is gone!

Nim2

QUOTE (Tony R @ Mar 31 2011, 06:45 PM)
QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Mar 31 2011, 11:26 PM)
QUOTE (Tony R @ Mar 31 2011, 05:54 PM)
QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Mar 31 2011, 10:13 PM)
QUOTE (Boyd @ Mar 31 2011, 04:57 PM)
QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Mar 30 2011, 11:39 AM)
Facebook robbed us of some good members too. I am really starting to dislike the Face!

Is that why you haven't integrated Facebook with TRF? Not that I'm complaining, of course.

I can't see ever doing that. Facebook likes having its arrogant nose in everything -- they like you to think you can't survive life on the interwebz without it. This community has done okay so far without being umbilically joined to Facebook, and I can't think of a good reason to change that.

Facebook seems like a love it/hate it kind of thing. I pretty much hate it on principle -- I think it's an incredibly intrusive website.

Absolutely! When the Webmaster at Progarchives threw himself and the site "wholeheartedly" into Facebook, I started to feel a disconnection. I understand why he did it but it doesn't stop me from hating it.

I closed my own Facebook account because of the intrusion and the ubiquity. I don't want to be part of that.

Aside from your feelings about it, what effect did the FB integration have on the ProgArchives site itself?

Seemed to attract people who wanted to contribute to single topics, or topics just about certain bands. We also got an increase in unsuitable bands (ie non-Prog) being suggested for inclusion on the database. On the whole I guess it was mainly a win for the Webmaster in terms of hits for the site.

We also seem to get more spam. Then again we don't "approve" new registrations...

Sounds about right. And the spam issue is precisely why we manually approve new registrations here. Don't need Facebook's help in making that problem worse.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Mar 31 2011, 01:13 PM)
I can't see ever doing that. Facebook likes having its arrogant nose in everything -- they like you to think you can't survive life on the interwebz without it. This community has done okay so far without being umbilically joined to Facebook, and I can't think of a good reason to change that.

Facebook seems like a love it/hate it kind of thing. I pretty much hate it on principle -- I think it's an incredibly intrusive website.

I'm glad you see Facebook for what it truly is. It's a refreshing opinion, especially when most webmasters are wiring it into their sites as if it was required by law.

Hi. Another refugee from RTF here. You may remember me as Gornicevo.

Like everyone else, I was shocked that RTF went under. I heard about this site, so I thought I would poke around a bit. I need my Rush fix!

QUOTE (P-Tor @ Apr 1 2011, 02:09 AM)
Hi.  Another refugee from RTF here.  You may remember me as Gornicevo.

Like everyone else, I was shocked that RTF went under.  I heard about this site, so I thought I would poke around a bit.  I need my Rush fix!

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif 1022.gif

bekloppt.gif P-Tor - welcome to TRF, your new home! bekloppt.gif

1022.gif 2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

QUOTE (pedro2112 @ Apr 1 2011, 12:47 AM)
We lost members to FB? How?

My theory is, FB appeals more to the person who's into "Here's what I'm doing right now," as opposed to a message board which is more like, "What are you guys doing right now?" Not that there's anything wrong with that.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Mar 31 2011, 06:26 PM)
QUOTE (Tony R @ Mar 31 2011, 05:54 PM)
QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Mar 31 2011, 10:13 PM)
QUOTE (Boyd @ Mar 31 2011, 04:57 PM)
QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Mar 30 2011, 11:39 AM)
Facebook robbed us of some good members too. I am really starting to dislike the Face!

Is that why you haven't integrated Facebook with TRF? Not that I'm complaining, of course.

Absolutely! When the Webmaster at Progarchives threw himself and the site "wholeheartedly" into Facebook, I started to feel a disconnection. I understand why he did it but it doesn't stop me from hating it.

I closed my own Facebook account because of the intrusion and the ubiquity. I don't want to be part of that.

Aside from your feelings about it, what effect did the FB integration have on the ProgArchives site itself?

Why would a fan board need Facebook anyhow? It seems pointless?

Facebook is the devil anyhow. Never make a deal with the devil.

Archived