114 Rush songs ranked and reviewed by Kenneth

Mr. Not

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Good,bad,andrush @ Feb 17 2011, 10:44 AM)
trink36.gif

Ha, right, where was I before that unnecessary interruption...

27 - Anagram

"There is no safe seat at the feast, take your best stab at the beast"

Beautiful song and the lyrics are creative, inspirational, and just amazing.. How does Neil manage to play with words and make them actually mean something? Fantastic smile.gif 10/10

26 - Red Sector A

Mainly for the instrumental work, love the guitar solo.. 10/10

25 - Red Barchetta

Rush's take on a stereotypical rock song, the riffage at the beginning is something you will only here by them.. 10/10

QUOTE (Kenneth @ Feb 20 2011, 06:59 PM)
27 - Anagram
Beautiful song and the lyrics are creative, inspirational, and just amazing.. How does Neil manage to play with words and make them actually mean something? Fantastic smile.gif 10/10

I wouldn't put Anagram this high, but its a good song. I thought I was the only one who liked it.

24 - Middletown Dream

Great song, I especially like the synth line during the "Middle-aged Madonna" part, and the guitar playing in the prior verse.. 10/10

23 - Prime Mover

It's especially the lyrics I like about this song. smile.gif 10/10

22 - The Enemy Withing

Fast paced and Geddy plays some impressive bass lines.. 10/10

21 - Xanadu

I often think of this and Hemispheres overrated songs one this board, but it's still great. Have to love their introduction to the Synth.. 10/10

20 - Bastille Day

The trio's musicianship shines through this song, and the melodies are really sweet (as in, a melody so sweet).. Great introduction to the great Caress of Steel album. 10/10

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Feb 20 2011, 05:05 PM)
QUOTE (Kenneth @ Feb 20 2011, 06:59 PM)
27 - Anagram

I wouldn't put Anagram this high, but its a good song. I thought I was the only one who liked it.

Not at all. I've grown quite fond of it. The lyrics are fun (I'm a word puzzle enthusiast so I may be biased) and the piano & synth part are perfect. It's a great example of how Alex plays in service to the song rather than adding things just because he can. It's the right length - any longer and it would be overkill. It's really an underrated gem, IMO.

19. Force Ten

At one point, this was my absolute favorite.. Great lyrics, keys, and Alex is everywhere on the guitar! Really like his playing! 10/10

18. Kid Gloves

One of Alex's best solos.. Good cheeseball symphonic chorus too.. Heh.. 10/10

17. Countdown

Synth! 10/10

16. Afterimage

Though I've never related to the lyrics, this song has always gotten to me.. So much to say about this song, it's one of their most unique.. 10/10

15. Between the Wheels

A really energetic closer.. 10/10

QUOTE (IChoseFreeWill @ Feb 28 2011, 07:39 AM)
What? Xanadu is only 21? It is my 3rd fave after Freewill and Limelight.

Xanadu SHOULD be higher than 21, come on... comp26.gif

QUOTE (kooma @ Mar 18 2011, 02:31 AM)
QUOTE (IChoseFreeWill @ Feb 28 2011, 07:39 AM)
What? Xanadu is only 21? It is my 3rd fave after Freewill and Limelight.

Xanadu SHOULD be higher than 21, come on... comp26.gif

It would be if I didn't like songs 1-20 better. cool.gif

14. 2112

Good epic, not their best but Good.. It flows well and has a decent story, but oustanding playing and vocal performance 10/10

13. Subdivisions

Love the lyrics - high school life here.. The keys are really active in this song, it makes me thing that Geddy was actually attempting to become a keyboardist laugh.gif

They keyboard solo / guitar solo in this song is fantastic and unique.. My favorite Alex solo

10/10

12. Natural Science

Yeah, good song cool.gif 10/10

11. YYZ

Good, energetic instrumental.. One of a kind 10/10

10. By-Tor & the Snow Dog

Wow how the solo section in the middle of this song grown on me.. Great, fast paced song 10/10

9. La Villa Strangiato

The Lerxst solo is the most discussed part among this song.. Why? The whole thing is amazing and every minute deserves equal discussion yes.gif 10/10

8. The Analog Kid

Even more than subdivisions, I love these lyrics.. I always get vivid imagery in my head when hearing them, and the magical synth pre-chorus.. Wow wub.gif 10/10

7. Hemispheres

Probably would move this one down (into the 20's) now.. When I made this list (in a notebook doc, 2 months + back), I had just truly gotten into this song.. But now I'm back to my initial opinion about it: it's really repetitive.. They could have kept this one under 12 minutes. 9/10

6. Cygnus X-1

The intro's the best next to this part:

"I set a course just east of Lyra

And northwest of Pegasus

Flew into the light of Deneb

Sailed across the Milky Way

On my ship, the 'Rocinante'

Wheeling through the galaxies

Headed for the heart of Cygnus

Headlong into mystery"

Outstanding. 10/10

Are you all at the edge of your seats? Come on, it's the top five! Exciting stuff!

5 - The Trees

This song is great from front to back, and in so many ways.. The lyrics are perfect and tell a nice society-based story.. Then there's the keybaord solo, leading to a bass / drum jam into Alex's interesting solo.. Yeah, got to love this song, I won't hesitate to deem it my favorite song from Hemispheres. 10/10

4 - Different Strings

Discovered the greatness of this song a few months back.. Nice melody, lyrics, and lovely guitar playing.. Sometimes it's as if the song has converted 4 minutes of my time into a lifetime's worth. 10/10

3 - A Farewell to Kings

The song is structured perfectly..

Just thinking about the song makes me want to listen to it right now.. Beautiful acoustic intro, and then when the electric instruments come in.. Wow.

And I love the lyrics too! "Path of least resistance. Cities full of hatred, fear, and lies" 10/10

2 - The Camera Eye

Another powerful song. 10/10

Number one...

1 - The Fountain of Lamneth

This song represents life. There's hope (I), hopelessness (III), love (IV), depression (V), and achievement (VI) all within these 20 minutes. The song, all parts together, is perfection as far as I'm concerned. Great song with great lyrics, and nice guitar playing.. I guess this top 114 list has brought back the idea to me that Alex is an underrated guitarist, and overlooked member of Rush.. I've been saying that since the first day I joined this forum, really. 10/10

And the full list, with a slight edit giving Hemispheres a lower rank:

114 - twilight zone

113 - the weapon

112 - nobody's hero

111 - limbo

110 - I think I'm going bald

109 - faithless

108 - everyday glory

107 - entre nous

106 - second nature

105 - the necromancer

104 - resist

103 - dog years

102 - good news first

101 - dreamline

100 - roll the bones

099 - presto

098 - virtuality

097 - hope

096 - bravest face

095 - animate

094 - spindrift

093 - totem

092 - the stars look down

091 - manhattan project

090 - avaliable light

089 - open secrets

088 - closer to the heart

087 - red tide

086 - best i can

085 - witch hunt

084 - rivendell

083 - time stand still

082 - the big money

081 - grand designs

080 - one little victory

079 - leave that thing alone

078 - working them angels

077 - something for nothing

076 - lessons

075 - armor and sword

074 - the big wheel

073 - superconductor

072 - chain lightning

071 - a passage to bangkok

070 - double agent

069 - between sun & moon

068 - cut to the chase

067 - the pass

066 - emotion detector

065 - mission

064 - madrigal

063 - anthem

062 - show don't tell

061 - the spirit of radio

060 - ghost of a chance

059 - losing it

058 - driven

057 - peacable kingdom

056 - new world man

055 - territories

054 - secret touch

053 - fly by night

052 - vapor trails

051 - red lenses

050 - freeze

049 - the color of right

048 - chemistry

047 - stick it out

046 - lakeside park

045 - tom sawyer

044 - how it is

043 - the body electric

042 - bravado

041 - cinderella man

040 - the way the wind blows

039 - beneath, between & behind

038 - circumstances

037 - turn the page

036 - limelight

035 - hand over fist

034 - jacob's ladder

033 - digital man

032 - marathon

031 - far cry

030 - freewill

029 - distant early warning

028 - lock and key

027 - hemispheres

026 - anagram (for mongo)

025 - red sector a

024 - red barchetta

023 - middletown dreams

022 - prime mover

021 - the enemy within

020 - xanadu

019 - bastille day

018 - force ten

017 - kid gloves

016 - countdown

015 - afterimage

014 - between the wheels

013 - 2112

012 - subdivisions

011 - natural science

010 - yyz

009 - by-tor & the snow dog

008 - la villa strangiato

007 - the analog kid

006 - cygnus x-1

005 - the trees

004 - different strings

003 - a farewell to kings

002 - the camera eye

001 - the fountain of lamneth

The End bekloppt.gif

QUOTE (HigherWater @ Mar 29 2011, 04:39 PM)
Kenneth,

This has been a great read. Thank you for your efforts. You assessments and opinions are honest and well thought out.... Even if you are totally INSANE. Seriously, great work.

HW

Hey thanks! For the most part I tried to keep it short and not go on and on about songs unless I really had something unique to say - this is kind of apparent.. And I'm not insane, I just let the less sane part of me show on this forum tongue.gif

Thanks CMW & GBR... And you're right GBR, TFoL is underrated and I don't get Hemispheres entirely (and probably never will) wink.gif

Also.. Thanks to everyone else who posted throughout my ratings.. I didn't reply to most of you because I wanted to keep just content in here until I was done so it would be more convenient for readers (they wouldn't have to jump post to post).. One poster got to me a few posts back making a little clog, which was exactly what I didn't wanted (sorry about that little disruption wink.gif )..

QUOTE (Kenneth @ Mar 29 2011, 08:32 PM)
And you're right GBR, TFoL is underrated and I don't get Hemispheres entirely (and probably never will) wink.gif

Yeah, TFoL is a lyrical masterpiece, but Hemi is better wink.gif

Musically it's more consistent and---

hey, wait for my review of it! Is it number one...or number two? confused13.gif

I just love that you put The Fountain of Lamneth as your #1 song! Although I dont agree, this winter I revisted Caress of Steel and it really grew on me. It used to be my second least favorite album (after VT), but now its right up there with some of my favorites. Sadly, I dont think VT will ever gain ground. Just a horrible record in my opinion. Every song from VT would be at the bottom of any list I would make.

applaudit.gif applaudit.gif applaudit.gif

Of course I have major disagreements with a lot of your rankings but I'm with you as far as preferring Fountain and 2112 over Hemispheres. I'm tempted to give this a shot myself but don't know if I could be bothered to comment on every song.

QUOTE (Silas Lang @ Mar 29 2011, 10:40 PM)
applaudit.gif applaudit.gif applaudit.gif

Of course I have major disagreements with a lot of your rankings but I'm with you as far as preferring Fountain and 2112 over Hemispheres. I'm tempted to give this a shot myself but don't know if I could be bothered to comment on every song.

Hey, it took me three months to do this tongue.gif

It was a fun little long-term project.. Maybe even just a top 25 reviewed would be fulfilling really.. Do whatever you'd like though, even if that means nothing at all biggrin.gif

QUOTE (ak2112 @ Mar 29 2011, 07:15 PM)
I just love that you put The Fountain of Lamneth as your #1 song! Although I dont agree, this winter I revisted Caress of Steel and it really grew on me. It used to be my second least favorite album (after VT), but now its right up there with some of my favorites. Sadly, I dont think VT will ever gain ground. Just a horrible record in my opinion. Every song from VT would be at the bottom of any list I would make.

VT is unique and an album of theirs that's really out there, so not liking it at all is understood by me. CoS on!