Geddy Is Hot: Mk.II

Jaye

I don't think I made myself clear.

I am not talking about his voice. I am talking about his face when he sings. Neil and Alex display emotion on their faces; I haven't seen the same on Geddy.

Funny that you say Neil displays emotion when he plays... out of the three of them, I'd certainly say he shows the least! He has a reputation for being 'stone-faced' and 'impassive', with keeping a look of such concentration that he doesn't alter from it, but given the hugely daunting job he has to do, I can understand it. Which is why it's nice to see him break out and smile now and then, or react to his bandmates' antics. A smiling Neil during a concert is a nice thing indeed! As for Geddy: I agree that he has a lot going on, with playing astounding bass, keyboards, pedals and triggers, and what I'd consider the most difficult instrument, singing. I would imagine this takes a toll on his concentration, where he must have to practice doing everything at once so that he can get it down pat, kind of like practicing patting his head whlie rubbing his belly kind of thing. I can't imagine how he's able to do this all, and pretty flawlessly, too. So, he likely doesn't have much room for being spontaneous with emotion - all his energies are directed towards providing a stellar performance with the many things he has to juggle. And there are some moments where he does show emotion, such as when he sings 'Resist' acoustically. And there are moments when he's been captured in photos showing emotion, not at the same time as singing, but you can see that he's really feeling the music. I'll see if I can find some photos later to support this. So, I do not fault Geddy for any lack of emotion - I'm sure he feels what he's singing, and his vocals do tend to reflect this, at least in the songs he's most moved by, like 'Resist', 'The Pass', 'The Garden', 'Faithless' - songs he's described as being "his faves". Now, Alex, on the other hand, is more an open book, emotionally. He's been known to make some terribly funny faces whilst feeling out his guitar notes! And, sorry this is all a big jumble. Stupid lack of paragraph separation.

Now this is funny, because out of all of them, I see the most emotion on Neil's face. But remember, the only DVD of a concert I have is Rio. All I see on Neil's face is pain. Watch him in the out takes of The Pass in The Boys in Brazil. Watch his face during Bravado and Free Will. Especially watch his face when Geddy sings "Christ what have you done" and how he slams back down on his drums.

As for Alex, he is like other lead guitarists - he becomes the notes and they become him. Pure emotion. Personally, I'd love to be able to experience that myself.

And I thought too about Geddy - maybe if the lyrics were his, he'd feel them more, but he wasn't the one that wrote them. He did, however, write the music.

Bottom line here - I am not as expert as you and the other wonderful women are here - but I am working hard at becoming so. I am especially working hard on adding to my Rush collection of DVDs. That's what I want the most. I don't want to just listen to them on CDs, I want to watch them.

Watching Geddy play his bass is the best. I could watch him for hours. :geddy: :wub:

• Like 3

Here is Geddy showing emotion at the gig in Saratoga Springs two weeks ago:

http://youtu.be/AiSZUDOkifM

See the girl in the bright blue in front of Geddy? She's showing emotion, too ;)

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2861/9247391049_9c3ebf2290_c.jpg

• Like 4

No, I'm serious. On very few songs from the concert DVD that I have do I see any lyrics that might mean a lot to him.

Maybe I don't know him as well as you do. I'm not being glib; I mean that.

Ah ok I see what you mean.

Well, in my experience seeing them live, as soon as they come out and Geddy is really, really focused. Alex is a little more animated and interacts with the crowd. Neil is super stony-faced focused. I remember my husband getting all excited because he thought he saw Neil crack a smile during one of the shows.

Geddy does show emotion when he's just out on stage with his bass, but that's when I've noticed it the most. When he's singing and playing it's hard to break his focus.

Thank you for posting these pictures, GeddysMullet!

I've been feeling blah, sick, whatever all day and these helped me feel better. :cool:

Cheers,

frippy

• Like 2

Frippy, Geddy is the remedy for many things, isn't he? Hope tomorrow is a better day for you.

Thanks, Lorraine!

I felt awful today- headache, stomach ache...just general yuckiness. My hubby took good care of me, made dinner and we watched movies. Simba was my hot water bottle- she cuddled with me too!

I'm sure I will feel better tomorrow.

Cheers,

frippy

• Like 1

GM, you sure know how to capture him - how do you keep your wits about you to do so?

I'd like to pretend it's because I'm some kind of great photographer, but they are lucky shots, all. I didn't spend much time taking pictures because I was too excited and the time I was going to spend there was too short and precious to waste looking through a lens when I could look at the real thing :drool: Besides, when the guys looked in my direction I wanted them to see me into the music and having fun, not fussing with some device. So during a couple of songs in the first set -- I'll admit to not actually remembering which ones they were! -- I was just holding the camera up and sort of roughly trying to guess by quick glances when to click the button. I have a really good camera with a fast reset, so I was able to fire off many shots very quickly. Close up, that approach guarantees that most will be worthless but at least a few will be good. I absolutely love those first two but they need colour correction, and I'm super-lame at that kind of thing. I think I got a few other good ones, but I've been saving finding them among the blown-out and out-of-focus for moments when I really need the pick-me-up.

Pretty sure he's singing Bravado in that one picture, that's a song during which I know I took some.

• Like 2

I love Bravado. It's such a sad song.

Well, whatever it is that you do with the camera, you do it well. Who took the picture of the "lady in blue"?

For myself, if I ever got the golden opportunity to see them in concert, not to mention getting a choice seat like you did (I meant to ask how you managed to get a seat directly in front of you-know-who :wub: ), I wouldn't take any pictures. How can you enjoy a concert when you are always futzing around with a camera? Of course, if it was my 20th Rush concert, I would probably think differently, but not at my first!

Hamilton, Ontario, July 6, 2013

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z33/bfwgjma/Rush%20Hamilton%20ONT%20%206%20July%202013/IMG_3850_zpsf088f1ea.jpg

• Like 3

Yeah.......just looking at him makes you realize he must have EXCELLENT taste in a lot of things!!!!!!!!! :drool: :drool: :heart: ;) :ebert: :P :wub:
  • Like 2

The only thing that I can think of to say is the Geddy Lee is a man with exceedingly good taste in women!

Oops!!!! :o :huh: I meant to apply the comment I made above, to this comment made by Lorraine. :doh: Anyway.....I think we all agree that we NEVER get tired of looking at him.....lol!!!!!!! :wub: :ebert: :P :drool: :joker:

• Like 3

Have you got that straight, Lorraine? I gotta stay focused.

http://cygnus-x1.net/links/rush/images/concerts/rush-milwaukee-07.04.2013/16.jpg

OMG.......Geddy looks supremely GORGEOUS in this pic.......I love it!!!!!!!!!! :drool: :heart: :ebert: :cheerleader: :banana: :fury: :wub:

• Like 2

http://cygnus-x1.net/links/rush/images/concerts/rush-milwaukee-07.04.2013/16.jpg

OMG.......Geddy looks supremely GORGEOUS in this pic.......I love it!!!!!!!!!! :drool: :heart: :ebert: :cheerleader: :banana: :fury: :wub:

Yep, he is a cutie! :drool: :drool: :drool:

• Like 2

Supremely Gorgeous, that is a good way to describe him!

• Like 2

Geddy "Supremely Gorgeous" Lee! :wub:

Geddy "Flipping Perfekt" Lee :D

• Like 1

Look what I found girls ....

http://www4.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Geddy+Lee+Arrivals+Rock+Roll+Hall+Fame+Induction+FC8f8-O7fN4l.jpg

:wub:

ERHMERGERD I love those glasses more than I can possibly say.

• Like 1