Help me with red wine

Janie

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Oct 8 2010, 04:12 PM)
In my somewhat limited and humble opinion...

A good place to start is a Pinot Noir. It's light-bodied and fruity for a red wine, not as heavy as a Merlot or Cabernet or Chianti. If you like the Pinot Noir and feel you want to try something a little heavier, I'd try a Shiraz next. After that, a Cabernet Sauvignon.

I have to agree here. 47 lb Rooster makes a fantastic Pinot Noir for the money (8 to 9 bucks). I would also suggest a Shiraz. This is a medium red that is not to sweet and not to dry-for me anyway. McGuigan (Australia) makes a good one. I especially liked the batch they produced in 2000.

Any red wine from Chile will be good, imo tongue.gif I lived there for 6 months and fell in love with the wine!

I'm new on the forum & I'm more of a single malt person, but I can say Sterling is very tasty & moderately priced...I prefer a dry red

If this is on the wine list, unless I'm feeling adventuresome, this is my choice

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Jan 3 2011, 08:45 AM)
i don't know what it is with australian wines but they don't taste good to me.

Three of years ago, my sister-in-law gave me a bottle of Australia's 'The Little Penguin' Pinot Noir. I thought how cute the name and label and immediately thought that the wine must be mediocre if not downright inferior. I put the bottle on my wine rack and forgot about it.

A couple of months ago, I pulled the cork and was very pleasantly surprised at the quality of the wine. I savored that bottle of Pinot Noir and want to buy another bottle soon. I'll also try the other varieties since the Pinot Noir was so good.

This is one of the things I love about wine... a good bottle of wine doesn't have to cost a lot nor have a fancy name/label to guarantee a quality wine-savoring experience.

http://www.thelittlepenguin.com/wines