Michael Bay to produce a remake of 'The Hitcher'

Jack Aubrey

More remake madness. Why mess with a classic?

From Movie Web:

According to Variety, looking to scare up another horror remake hit, Platinum Dunes has made a deal with Focus Features to redo 1986 pic The Hitcher. The film will be released through Focus' genre label, Rogue Pictures.

The deal marks the third remake for Platinum Dunes since it was formed by Michael Bay, Andrew Form and Brad Fuller to hatch low-cost genre fare. Shingle began with The Texas Chainsaw Massacre and continued with The Amityville Horror, both of which outgrossed their negative costs in their opening weekends. Amityville Horror, which cost $19 million, finished its opening frame at $23.3 million.

Originally directed by Robert Harmon, The Hitcher starred C. Thomas Howell as an ordinary teen who picks up the hitchhiker from hell, a role originated by Rutger Hauer. The serial killer torments the youth by implicating him in each of his crimes. Bay said saga fits the company template in that its premise offers a scare potential just as high with the current crop of teen moviegoers as it was when the original opened.

"Someone mentioned the title and I said, 'That's the one we should do,' " Bay said. "I loved it as a kid, and we can add some cool twists and turn it into a rocking film." One possibility, he suggested, is to make the protagonist female.

It's not you. Even if there are a few original ideas, in general so many things have been remakes. I think it started about 10 or so years ago when the classics like An Affair to Remember were remade. It's just steadily working up the list of decades. I'm still a little miffed about hearing how Howard Stern was producing a remake of Porky's.

Sometimes a remake can be good to either modernise a piece or pay homage. Peter Jackson's King Kong should fall into both categories.

But at this rate, in two years we will see a remake of Red Planet, and it will still suck.

Frankly, "The Hitcher" was one of the best thrillers I have ever seen. Hauer was completely insane in that movie, and Ponyboy did a fantastic job as the protagonist. To think that this remake will be directed by the quintessential hollywood "commercial" director makes me want to defecate.

QUOTE (pedro2112 @ Apr 18 2005, 05:07 PM)
Frankly, "The Hitcher" was one of the best thrillers I have ever seen. Hauer was completely insane in that movie, and Ponyboy did a fantastic job as the protagonist. To think that this remake will be directed by the quintessential hollywood "commercial" director makes me want to defecate.

I agree Pedro..peeps should check out the original for sure...Hauer was perfect for this role...his best IMO

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Apr 18 2005, 05:10 PM)
QUOTE (pedro2112 @ Apr 18 2005, 05:07 PM)

I agree Pedro..peeps should check out the original for sure...Hauer was perfect for this role...his best IMO

Ditto to that new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

But his part in Blade Runner was awesome also. It's almost hard to choose. Baty's final speach is another one for the tear-jerker thread.

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Apr 18 2005, 03:35 PM)
Not only remakes but endless, useless sequels which usually suck and taints the original movie.

Here, here!!! Barring Spiderman, though. I think 2 was better than the first.

QUOTE (sullysue @ Apr 19 2005, 10:13 AM)
Not only remakes but endless, useless sequels which usually suck and taints the original movie.

Empire Strikes Back was better than A New Hope.

Terminator II was better than Terminator

Debbie Does Dallas II was also better than the original.

QUOTE (pedro2112 @ Apr 19 2005, 12:55 PM)
QUOTE (sullysue @ Apr 19 2005, 10:13 AM)

Empire Strikes Back was better than A New Hope.

Terminator II was better than Terminator

Debbie Does Dallas II was also better than the original.

Yea, thanks for that last one. I'll have to check it out. sarcasm.gif