Smoke on the stage

MMCXII

crazy Deep Purple video I found of Ritchie Blackmore going nuts... amps bursts into flames at one point.. crazy!

Ritchie "solo"

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Sep 14 2010, 04:02 PM)
Was Pete the first guitarist to smash a guitar?

Hendrix?

On the Who's Next Tour in 72 I think, the Boy trashed every thing, Pete went WILD!!! yes.gif

I think Pete was the first to bust up his stuff and Jimi was the first to set fire to his Ax. firedevil.gif

In an interview Townshend said the first guitar he broke on stage was an accident. After leaping in the air, the neck of the guitar hit the ceiling of the club they were playing in. So once the neck was broken, he just decided to go ahead and smash the rest of it. Of course, not wanting to be upstaged, Keith Moon smashed up his drum kit. After the word got out and people started asking if they were the group that smashed up their instruments, it was something that he felt the audience wanted and expected so it just snowballed from there. That's the story I heard anyway.

QUOTE (TullSkull @ Sep 14 2010, 05:54 PM)
QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Sep 14 2010, 04:02 PM)
Was Pete the first guitarist to smash a guitar?

Hendrix?

On the Who's Next Tour in 72 I think, the Boy trashed every thing, Pete went WILD!!! yes.gif

I think Pete was the first to bust up his stuff and Jimi was the first to set fire to his Ax. firedevil.gif

Nice Tull!! Figured it was the great Pete Townshend!

Hey on a side note, sorry we didn't have that beer at Red Rocks!

Next Rush Tour!

Earl

QUOTE (Silas Lang @ Sep 14 2010, 08:05 PM)
In an interview Townshend said the first guitar he broke on stage was an accident. After leaping in the air, the neck of the guitar hit the ceiling of the club they were playing in. So once the neck was broken, he just decided to go ahead and smash the rest of it. Of course, not wanting to be upstaged, Keith Moon smashed up his drum kit. After the word got out and people started asking if they were the group that smashed up their instruments, it was something that he felt the audience wanted and expected so it just snowballed from there. That's the story I heard anyway.

I think you are correct. I have heard this as well. It happened sometimes around '64 or 65'

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Sep 14 2010, 04:01 PM)
Fukking awesome!! Hey at least Blackmore can smash a guitar better than Malmsteen. However my favorite six string smasher is PETE TOWNSHEND!!!!!

goodpost.gif

I heard he got a wammy bar through the hand once with that windmill move! the guy's badass! 1022.gif

Archived