Camera Policy for the Time Machine Tour

robertjames1971

Just wondering what the camera policy on the Time Machine Tour is.

I have been staying far away from TRF since opening night in hopes of not having any of the surprises ruined for me. I've been... sort of successful, I guess.

Anyway, in '08 they started loosening up the camera policy and I was just wondering if that's continued on this tour.

Thanks everyone!

TD Garden in Boston tomorrow night!

2.gif

2.gif

2.gif

Edited by robertjames1971

How do you prevent cameras at a concert when 90% of the cell phones are camera phones? I saw a ton of the smaller digital cameras at the show.

At the MN State Fair, it was pretty much a free for all... The only thing they were checking for at the gates were plastic bottles... no outside beverages. (though I snuck a flask in, no problem.)

If it's anything like it was for me, you can sneak in with whatever you want.

Verizon Wireless / Riverport Amphitheater in STL needs to update their information from the band then; they had huge signs all over stating NO CAMERAS. Of course I saw loads of the damn things and was lamenting that I did not have one. It helped that our seats weren't all that great - the pictures wouldn't have been all that good.

QUOTE (Supersyl @ Sep 13 2010, 09:44 PM)
This is the answer I got from a Rush Crew member when I asked him in person in Toronto:

Point & Shoots are fine, SLR's are OK without a zoom lens. All detachable lenses above 75mm(I think--it may be 55--mine is a 55) are not allowed.
trink39.gif

I'm not sure what "crew member" would have told you that SLR's are OK, but if the venue allows it (read your ticket), then point & shoots are OK.

I know that it seems kind of ridiculous to not take a camera when so many do and have cams on their phones, but IMO, this is about respect for the venue, Geddy, Alex, & Neil. So ultimately, the decision is up to you...

Something to consider though, is if you're further than 20 rows from the stage, your pictures won't be that great. If you're within 20 rows of the stage, then the band is going to see you taking pictures in a venue that specifically states that cameras are not allowed. So again, there's the whole respect factor to think about.

Edited by FOH Lights

QUOTE (FOH Lights @ Sep 14 2010, 08:40 AM)
This is the answer I got from a Rush Crew member when I asked him in person in Toronto:

Point & Shoots are fine, SLR's are OK without a zoom lens. All detachable lenses above 75mm(I think--it may be 55--mine is a 55) are not allowed.
trink39.gif

I'm not sure what "crew member" would have told you that SLR's are OK, but if the venue allows it (read your ticket), then point & shoots are OK.

I know that it seems kind of ridiculous to not take a camera when so many do and have cams on their phones, but IMO, this is about respect for the venue, Geddy, Alex, & Neil. So ultimately, the decision is up to you...

Something to consider though, is if you're further than 20 rows from the stage, your pictures won't be that great. If you're within 20 rows of the stage, then the band is going to see you taking pictures in a venue that specifically states that cameras are not allowed. So again, there's the whole respect factor to think about.

i doubt that while on stage any of the performers give a flying rats ass on who is taking pictures and what type of camera they have...rediculous.

i think they have other things on their minds.

The decision to allow or disallow cameras does not come from the venue, it comes from the promoter. Last tour at the first couple of shows I attended they were checking for cameras in security, but by the later shows they had stopped. There was talk of them throwing in the towel on the camera front.

The TD Garden in Boston does have a blanket ban on cameras with removable lenses, but for anything smaller than that it's the promoter who makes the call.

I was at SPAC in '08 in the very last row of seats with a point and shoot that's about the size of a credit card, and I got some very good (not excellent, but very good) shots. Don't underestimate the power of a small camera in the 21st century.

QUOTE (FOH Lights @ Sep 14 2010, 09:40 AM)

trink39.gif

DUDE.. I was told Point & Shoots are always OK AND SLR's WITHOUT zoom lenses. I spent 5 minutes with the guy in the afternoon before the show, he phoned "The guy in charge" with me asking him about specific camera models to make sure (Because I wanted to know once and for all). He suggested I bring one over the other, just to be safe (Both SLR's without zoom) after asking his boss. At show time, I went in with my camera around my neck in full view, the security guy at the entrance asked me (Very politely) to check it, and he said "55mm?? Go right in sir and have a nice evening". So it was approved by both the venue AND members of the Rush crew. At Paul McCartney in Montreal, I spent 5 minutes talking with a security lady, and asked her a bunch of questions about cameras at the shows. She answered basically the same thing.

I photograph bands "For a living" (That is: Bands ask me to photograph them), I've never met a musician in my life who doesn't want to be photographed. Some of the bands I've photographed have even become friends and everyone has always enjoyed my photos. If Geddy spends his time worrying about some guy with a cell phone taking his pic, he must seriously reconsider his line of work. I don't care if you're really some secret Rush crew member wasting time posting on a board, but don't tell me what was said in a real conversation face to face with a REAL Rush crew member who was on the phone with his "Real" boss.

Cheers! trink39.gif

2.gif

Edited by Supersyl

QUOTE (hughes&kettner @ Sep 14 2010, 12:12 PM)
QUOTE (FOH Lights @ Sep 14 2010, 08:40 AM)

trink39.gif

i doubt that while on stage any of the performers give a flying rats ass on who is taking pictures and what type of camera they have...rediculous.

i think they have other things on their minds.

+1

Artists used to care about people photographing their shows because they used to be able to count on hiring a professional shooter and selling the resulting photos to magazines and other media outlets. They knew that they wouldn't have to worry about those goofy expressions ending up in circulation (for the most part).

That dried up years ago with the advent of digital cameras. There are still pros out there, but the widespread use of small, affordable, high-quality consumer cameras has made all but the most idiotic performers lay off the "NO CAMERAS OF ANY KIND UNDER PENALTY OF DEATH!!!!!" policies.

I don't care who you are, if you're a performer, you should expect to be photographed while performing. Cameras were invented so long ago they used to have a latin name. The first permanent photograph was taken in 1826. They're not new. Get over it.

QUOTE (Supersyl @ Sep 14 2010, 12:56 PM)
but don't tell me what was said in a real conversation face to face with a REAL Rush crew member who was on the phone with his "Real" boss.

hehehe, my bad, I guess. You obviously know more than I do...

Enjoy the show, my friend. smile.gif

QUOTE (FOH Lights @ Sep 14 2010, 04:32 PM)
QUOTE (Supersyl @ Sep 14 2010, 12:56 PM)
but don't tell me what was said in a real conversation face to face with a REAL Rush crew member who was on the phone with his "Real" boss.

hehehe, my bad, I guess. You obviously know more than I do...

Enjoy the show, my friend. smile.gif

Sorry, didn't mean to get mad..

Have a nice day FOH Lights bekloppt.gif trink39.gif