Happy 325th Birthday Danbury, CT!

Tarkus406

I spent all of last evening/night walking around near where I work in downtown Danbury with some friends and had a pretty good time! There was a free concert on the city green by the Marshall Tucker band (what's left of them) and my buddy EJ's band opened for them. Then we were walking around Main Street and found a park right in the middle of the road I had never seen before. Had a cool fountain yes.gif

After that we headed over to a diner and had some food at like 1AM, then went home.

But yeah I never really realized how nice of a city Danbury is. The buildings downtown are very cool and historic, the parks are nice, and there's actually quite a bit of shopping around. While loaded with illegal immigrants and drug dealers, it's still a comfortable small metropolitan-like setting. Totally different from my town where you can't walk anywhere (great distance between everything and no sidewalks)

Anyway, Happy 325th Danbury!

My home town is 2000 years old...

tongue.gif

"The Brigantes were the major Celtic tribe in what is now Northern England; they had a stronghold in the locality at a sandstone outcrop on which Manchester Cathedral now stands, opposite the banks of the River Irwell. Their territory extended across the fertile lowland of what is now Salford and Stretford. Following the Roman conquest of Britain in the 1st century, General Agricola ordered the construction of a Roman fort named Mamucium in the year 79 to ensure that Roman interests in Deva Victrix (Chester) and Eboracum (York) were protected from the Brigantes. Central Manchester has been permanently settled since this time. A stabilised fragment of foundations of the final version of the Roman fort is visible in Castlefield. The Roman habitation of Manchester probably ended around the 3rd century; the vicus, or civilian settlement, appears to have been abandoned by the mid 3rd century, although the fort may have supported a small garrison until the late 3rd or early 4th century. By the time of the Norman Conquest in 1066, the focus of settlement had shifted to the confluence of the rivers Irwell and Irk. Much of the wider area was laid waste in the subsequent Harrying of the North."

wink.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Sep 12 2010, 05:04 PM)

tongue.gif

"The Brigantes were the major Celtic tribe in what is now Northern England; they had a stronghold in the locality at a sandstone outcrop on which Manchester Cathedral now stands, opposite the banks of the River Irwell. Their territory extended across the fertile lowland of what is now Salford and Stretford. Following the Roman conquest of Britain in the 1st century, General Agricola ordered the construction of a Roman fort named Mamucium in the year 79 to ensure that Roman interests in Deva Victrix (Chester) and Eboracum (York) were protected from the Brigantes. Central Manchester has been permanently settled since this time. A stabilised fragment of foundations of the final version of the Roman fort is visible in Castlefield. The Roman habitation of Manchester probably ended around the 3rd century; the vicus, or civilian settlement, appears to have been abandoned by the mid 3rd century, although the fort may have supported a small garrison until the late 3rd or early 4th century. By the time of the Norman Conquest in 1066, the focus of settlement had shifted to the confluence of the rivers Irwell and Irk. Much of the wider area was laid waste in the subsequent Harrying of the North."

wink.gif

Well you know my country's still a baby tongue.gif

Matter of fact we have our own Manchester in Connecticut based off of yours laugh.gif

QUOTE (Tarkus406 @ Sep 12 2010, 05:56 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Sep 12 2010, 05:04 PM)

tongue.gif

"The Brigantes were the major Celtic tribe in what is now Northern England; they had a stronghold in the locality at a sandstone outcrop on which Manchester Cathedral now stands, opposite the banks of the River Irwell. Their territory extended across the fertile lowland of what is now Salford and Stretford. Following the Roman conquest of Britain in the 1st century, General Agricola ordered the construction of a Roman fort named Mamucium in the year 79 to ensure that Roman interests in Deva Victrix (Chester) and Eboracum (York) were protected from the Brigantes. Central Manchester has been permanently settled since this time. A stabilised fragment of foundations of the final version of the Roman fort is visible in Castlefield. The Roman habitation of Manchester probably ended around the 3rd century; the vicus, or civilian settlement, appears to have been abandoned by the mid 3rd century, although the fort may have supported a small garrison until the late 3rd or early 4th century. By the time of the Norman Conquest in 1066, the focus of settlement had shifted to the confluence of the rivers Irwell and Irk.  Much of the wider area was laid waste in the subsequent Harrying of the North."

wink.gif

Well you know my country's still a baby tongue.gif

Matter of fact we have our own Manchester in Connecticut based off of yours laugh.gif

And in New Hampshire...

trink38.gif

...Well, in my town we have Washington State's supposedly oldest brick buiding. Built in 1858... unsure.gif It's in a dilapidated part of town full of vagrants.

Happy 325th!

By any chance is this the home of the Danbury Mint?

QUOTE (Boots @ Sep 13 2010, 07:42 PM)
Happy 325th Birthday smile.gif
You don't look a day over 100

You haven't seen Danbury lately have you? laugh.gif

QUOTE (Mara @ Sep 13 2010, 11:41 PM)
Happy 325th!

By any chance is this the home of the Danbury Mint?

Ironically, no laugh.gif The Danbury Mint (I'm assuming you're talking about that jewelry/collectibles company), is actually located in Norwalk, Conn. Just 40 minutes south of Danbury confused13.gif

Archived