Stoned Jesus

southernjim

I recently downloaded their newest album, Seven Thunders Roar. It's pretty cool. Listening to Electric Mistress now.. that's a real Sabbath influenced song. A lot of nice stuff on this album, and the mp3 is currently only $2.99 on amazon. More than a fair price for this talented young Ukrainian metal band's second offering. :haz:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51WNShLoYDL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

http://www.amazon.co...n thunders roar

I just found out about this band a week ago.

Not really my cup of tea...I'm into metal, not so much Stoner Metal however but the doom aspects I can appreciate.

Not really my cup of tea...I'm into metal, not so much Stoner Metal however but the doom aspects I can appreciate.

One amazon reviewer said: "Weedian but melodic, somewhere between High on Fire and Agalloch." Now, I have no idea what that means, but you can tell from the band's name it's music to listen to :smoke:. This album makes me think of early Sabbath, so was early Sabbath considered stoner metal? Just sounds pretty much like heavy metal to me, but again, I'm not familiar with stoner metal genre. There's also a prog element present in the 16 minute I'm The Mountain. Bass player is good.

One amazon reviewer said: "Weedian but melodic, somewhere between High on Fire and Agalloch." Now, I have no idea what that means, but you can tell from the band's name it's music to listen to :smoke:. This album makes me think of early Sabbath, so was early Sabbath considered stoner metal? Just sounds pretty much like heavy metal to me, but again, I'm not familiar with stoner metal genre. There's also a prog element present in the 16 minute I'm The Mountain. Bass player is good.

IMO, it sounds nothing like Agalloch...and I LOVE Agalloch.

Here's an official vid. Obviously edited since 4 mins are missing. Can you tell this is my new band of the moment? And a power trio- figures. I'm a sucker for a powerful trio.

I think the "stoner" aspect of stoner metal's got to do with the slow to mid tempo of the songs, and to some extent, the vocal style. I'm not all that familiar with stoner metal myself (High on Fire's the only band I listen to that's classified under the stoner metal genre), but from what I do know, they do share a lot in common with sludge metal...bands like the Melvins, Neurosis, early Mastodon, etc. This is the first time I've ever heard of Stoned Jesus, but after listening to only one song of their's, I think these guys are great. Definitely will have to check out more of their stuff.