Alex's Solo

losingit2k

I found a version on You Tube...

Oh, so it is a 12-stringed guitar solo.

In my opinion it really doesn't do anything for me.

I don't hate it but it really doesn't go anywhere and then all of the sudden he breaks into CTTH.

I agree with an earlier entry in the topic; I wish he would do Broon's Bane again.

Do it on the 12-String though.

It is a little tougher on the 12-String than the nylon string but it works.

Instead of ending Broon's Bane on the A chord, he could end Broon's Bane on the B flat 7 chord. Instead of resolving on the A chord; like BB does on ESL, he could go right into the opening figure for CTTH which is in A.

For those guitar players out there; who know how to play both tunes, give it a try it works great.

Also; the classical guitar intro to A Farewell To Kings would be a cool; and more fitting, intro to Closer To The Heart. It works just as good; almost, as an intro to CTTH as Broon's Bane does.

In my opinion Broon's Bane or the intro to A Farewell To Kings would be more fitting on a tour called The Time Machine.

Sorry, a guy can dream can't he?

smile.gif

Edited by entmoot

QUOTE (entmoot @ Aug 1 2010, 01:21 AM)
I don't hate it but it really doesn't go anywhere and then all of the sudden he breaks into CTTH.

I agree with an earlier entry in the topic; I wish he would do Broon's Bane again.

Like I said earlier......

It's called "Vamping for time before Closer to the Heart".

And why not do a little bit of Broons Bane and the idea of playing the intro to A Farewell to Kings, to me, is brilliant.

Alex could do a few of his acoustic things that he has done from somewhere in the 'time machine' and make it a real cool solo. That way, they can have some of those song titles in the set and still not have to worry about Geddy not being able to do justice to the vocals in AFTK and a few other things, save some time and still please the fans by at least giving a taste of some of that stuff.

Neil gets a long solo, so why not Alex playing some old stuff that they used to do as an acoustic medley?

QUOTE (Mr. Krinkle @ Aug 1 2010, 10:15 PM)

And why not do a little bit of Broons Bane and the idea of playing the intro to A Farewell to Kings, to me, is brilliant.

Alex could do a few of his acoustic things that he has done from somewhere in the 'time machine' and make it a real cool solo. That way, they can have some of those song titles in the set and still not have to worry about Geddy not being able to do justice to the vocals in AFTK and a few other things, save some time and still please the fans by at least giving a taste of some of that stuff.

Neil gets a long solo, so why not Alex playing some old stuff that they used to do as an acoustic medley?

Now if only Alex Lifeson were to read this post and get nostalgic !!

To quote Don and Phil Everly:

"Dreeeaaammm, Dream, Dream, Dreeaamm, Dreeeaaammm, Dream, Dream, Dreeaamm......"

smile.gif

PS: Mr Krinkle....nice Rick

Edited by entmoot

If this would happen and then go into Closer to the heart! Fans would just get pissed. If you here the beggining AFTK, Believe me you're going to want to here the rest! Anything else woulkd be a let down!

cool.gif

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Aug 2 2010, 08:24 AM)

If this would happen and then go into Closer to the heart! Fans would just get pissed. If you here the beggining AFTK, Believe me you're going to want to here the rest! Anything else woulkd be a let down!

cool.gif

I wouldn't be pissed.

Heck, I came up with this idea, err, dream.

Look. Steve Howe has done similar things with some Yes songs in his solos. He plays sections of Topographic Oceans and To Be Over amongst other songs. Just snippets. It's better than nothing at all and Yes fans understand it. At least most do.

Sure, some Rush fans would be pissed off, but I would guess that most of them would be fans that haven't seen them play the full versions. Oh well, time marches on.

Instead of never hearing AFTK again, ever, wouldn't it be cool to at least hear Alex play that opening piece while Neil is taking a break?

Oh, and I'm not bitching about the setlist or anything at all. I'm perfectly happy with the setlist.

I'm just throwing out an idea. Thats all.

I bet if we went through the entire Rush catalog we could find PLENTY of things Alex has done on acoustic that could be made into a five to seven minute medley. If he did that, I honestly couldn't see how that many fans would be disappointed. Except maybe the younger ones that refuse to accept that Rush aren't in their twenties anymore and will not do a four hour show either.

Edited by Mr. Krinkle

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Aug 2 2010, 08:24 AM)

cool.gif

Heck, Rush has been teasing us with medley's for years and not playing entire songs.

Leaving us fans dreaming/wishing they would.

There are MANY examples of them doing that already so why not Alex during his acoustic solo.

One "teaser" that pops to mind is; I think it was on the Roll The Bones tour, where they played the "Cygnux-X1: Book One - The Voyage" lick but not completing the song!

Personally I am not fond of the band doing medley's but Alex doing it in his solo wouldn't "hurt" as much to me.

QUOTE (Mr. Krinkle @ Aug 2 2010, 10:25 AM)
QUOTE (entmoot @ Aug 1 2010, 11:34 PM)

Thank you. trink39.gif

Hello Mr. Krinkle, how are you today?

The new solo is called "Sacramento Turtlenecks".

Believe it.

QUOTE (Andrew1 @ Aug 2 2010, 11:54 PM)

Thank you. trink39.gif

Believe it.

Sounds about right!

sarcasm.gif

Thank you. trink39.gif

Believe it.

...tell me why.

QUOTE (Mr. Krinkle @ Aug 3 2010, 09:43 AM)

Thank you. trink39.gif

Believe it.

...tell me why.

I have no idea, dude.