I Cracked...and I'm Glad I Did

bigalfan

After reading some of the negative comments about the setlist...I cracked. I figured, "Well, if it sucks that bad - I guess I need to find out and gear myself up for it." To tell the truth, I'm glad I did. It's not THAT bad! Yes, Presto is a WHAT? and Overture/Temples...AGAIN!!!??? But, it could be MUCH worse and, as an Alex fan - I get three of his best solos (Freewill, LVS, WM) in one gig...I'm diggin' that!

I've never heard Marathon live (and of the synth stuff, that's one of the better ones, imo) - looking forward to Camera Eye and glad they kept Stick it Out in! Also looking forward to Faithless live and think it falls in a great spot in the list (thank you it wasn't, Larger Bowl). SO, all-in-all - and along with the amazing set/show...I'm really looking forward to tomorrow night! I DO wish JL would've been left in the setlist. I was really looking forward to hearing, "The clouds prepare for battle..." in the open air...but, oh well...

HEY - it's 2.gif !!!

trink39.gif

I'm really looking forward to this.

We missed R30 and TFE, so I have not heard Red Barchetta in many years. Haven't seen Marathon or TSS since the early 90s.

The only tune I'm really missing is Xanadu, but again, we missed the R30 tour...

Bring it on!!!! 2.gif

I thought both Presto and Faithless came across exceptionally well live. I remember wondering why they didn't play Presto on the Presto tour, and after last night, I'm even more perplexed.

QUOTE (Merely Space @ Jun 30 2010, 12:13 PM)
I thought both Presto and Faithless came across exceptionally well live.  I remember wondering why they didn't play Presto on the Presto tour, and after last night, I'm even more perplexed.

Thanks MS for your reviews today! I'm curious, had you seen 'the boys' outside before last night? S&A in KC was my first time to see them in the 'great wide open' and as much as I thought that might be a hinderence...I think I now might like the outdoors experience better than the indoor one. I know it's odd to say with a band that places such an emphasis on 'show', but there is something 'other' - something special about it for me that I hadn't expected.

Oh, and did you notice a 'peculiar' organic-smelling cloud that formed around your venue...especially after the 2nd set started? cool10.gif biggrin.gif We sure did in KC last year and I'm thinking tomorrow night won't be any different. You don't get that indoors nearly as much as outdoors it seems.

QUOTE (Merely Space @ Jun 30 2010, 12:48 PM)
Did catch the occasional whiff of fun, but it was breezy, so that my have cut down on its noticeability.  After one good whiff, the very sweet (and exceptionally attractive) lady dancing next to me said something along the lines of "Dang!  Now I want to hear A Passage To Bangkok!"

Have a blast tomorrow night!  I wish I could see it all over again!

laugh.gif

trink39.gif THANKS! I/we will!!

My only nitpicks on the setlist (my shows are Tampa and W. Palm, of course I cracked tongue.gif )

1. Only 25 tracks... 2 less than S&A. Maybe 2 more "vault" songs would have quieted some of the more strident whiners.

2. As I feared, NatSci got bumped. TCE is OK, but for me it's no NatSci.

3. They dropped Armor And Sword, The Way The Wind Blows, and TMMB and brought in Faithless? confused13.gif

And not a criticism, just something that amused me:

Faithless, BU2B, and Freewill back to back... subtle, Neil tongue.gif

I'm glad to see something from Presto and Cp (both of which were skipped last time) that I haven't seen before, and as my first tour was VT, I haven't seen CTTH live either.

Not doing cartwheels over Time Stand Still, but given the tour title, it was automatic.

Edited by Pause Rewind Replay

I love Presto so i'm good. I really like the set list. I mean, honestly, if they played every song I wanted to hear live they would have 3 set lists instead of 2 smile.gif

Can't wait for sept. 25th!!!!!

QUOTE (Pause Rewind Replay @ Jun 30 2010, 01:00 PM)
Not doing cartwheels over Time Stand Still, but given the tour title, it was automatic.

biggrin.gif Yeah, me neither. In fact, I've been playing it a lot today...trying to listen for 'nuggets'. (me) "Okay, I could look forward to hearing that bit there" ....."This part over here isn't sooo bad!" wink.gif

To tell you the truth, I think it's mainly the chorus in that song that kills me. Is that Sarah Brightman? Seriously...good grief! But, I have NO doubt - as Merely Space has posted - that when heard LIVE....I will like it fine. cool.gif

It's the 2112 thing that bums me more than anything...REALLY? NO Finale...AGAIN!? Nothing past Temples...AGAIN!? Seriously?? Oh, well.

QUOTE (bigalfan @ Jun 30 2010, 10:42 AM)
Yes, Presto is a WHAT?

Don't know why so many people are having this type of reaction to Presto being played. Even if you're not crazy about the (underrated and excellent) album, the title track is one of the best songs from the album and should definitely have been played 20 years ago. Glad it's back although I wish it were being played in the second set when it's dark out. Would give it a more mystical vibe and they could have had some cool imagery for it - starry nights, constellations, winter gardens, cold, frosty, cool.

It's easily my favorite song from the 1989 to 1996 period.

QUOTE (bigalfan @ Jun 30 2010, 01:40 PM)
QUOTE (Pause Rewind Replay @ Jun 30 2010, 01:00 PM)

biggrin.gif Yeah, me neither. In fact, I've been playing it a lot today...trying to listen for 'nuggets'. (me) "Okay, I could look forward to hearing that bit there" ....."This part over here isn't sooo bad!" wink.gif

To tell you the truth, I think it's mainly the chorus in that song that kills me. Is that Sarah Brightman? Seriously...good grief! But, I have NO doubt - as Merely Space has posted - that when heard LIVE....I will like it fine. cool.gif

It's the 2112 thing that bums me more than anything...REALLY? NO Finale...AGAIN!? Nothing past Temples...AGAIN!? Seriously?? Oh, well.

I don't dislike Time Stand Still, it's just that if I ranked what I'd want to hear off of HYF:

1. Lock And Key

2. Mission (so what if it was on S&A)

3. Prime Mover

4. High Water

5. Turn The Page

6. TSS

7. Second Nature

8. Force Ten

9. Open Secrets

10 Tai Shan

Oh, and although it didn't "bug" me, yes i'd also have loved it if they had tacked on the Grand Finale to 2112/Syrinx 1022.gif

QUOTE (savagegrace26 @ Jun 30 2010, 02:13 PM)
Yes, Presto is a WHAT?

Don't know why so many people are having this type of reaction to Presto being played. Even if you're not crazy about the (underrated and excellent) album, the title track is one of the best songs from the album and should definitely have been played 20 years ago.

Presto was my first 2.gif album... underrated is right. Presto the song would be about my 6th choice off of it, but it's still very good and I'm thrilled they're playing anything from that album 653.gif

I was disappointed in the number of tracks. Anyone know why thet are playing a shorter show this time?

I've been saying all along that all they needed was 1-2 more tracks and all of the whining would stop. JL and one more, even something like Analog Kid or Kid Gloves would do the trick.

Yes, Presto is a WHAT?

Don't know why so many people are having this type of reaction to Presto being played. Even if you're not crazy about the (underrated and excellent) album, the title track is one of the best songs from the album and should definitely have been played 20 years ago. Glad it's back although I wish it were being played in the second set when it's dark out. Would give it a more mystical vibe and they could have had some cool imagery for it - starry nights, constellations, winter gardens, cold, frosty, cool.

That's what I think when people say they aren't fond of Stick it Out. I can't figure that one out... but we're all different and Rush has such a variety to their music, that's why they have so many fans. I can think of worse than Presto, but would've like to have heard maybe something like Show Don't Tell instead.

QUOTE (bigalfan @ Jun 30 2010, 02:37 PM)
Yes, Presto is a WHAT?

That's what I think when people say they aren't fond of Stick it Out. I can't figure that one out... but we're all different and Rush has such a variety to their music, that's why they have so many fans. I can think of worse than Presto, but would've like to have heard maybe something like Show Don't Tell instead.

Stick It Out has been played before. Presto hasn't. If Stick It Out had never been played I doubt people would be complaining about it. It was last played in 1997, which is pretty recent in the Rush tour world.

And why choose Show Don't Tell, something that has already been played and is available on a live recording over a song that has never been played live before? I don't get that at all.

I'd take Tai Shan over Freewill at this point.

QUOTE (savagegrace26 @ Jun 30 2010, 02:39 PM)
If Stick It Out had never been played I doubt people would be complaining about it.

okie-dokie...

QUOTE (amish_ashaman @ Jun 30 2010, 02:34 PM)
I was disappointed in the number of tracks. Anyone know why thet are playing a shorter show this time?

Geddy and Alex age 57, overweight 58-year-old carcinogen-lunged drummer ... tongue.gif

bolt.gif

I agree that 2 more "vault" songs to get back up to a S&A length 27 songs would likely have shut up a lot of people.

QUOTE (savagegrace26 @ Jun 30 2010, 02:42 PM)
I'd take Tai Shan over Freewill at this point.

Good. I'm happy for you! trink38.gif

Actually, Tai Shan was one song I was really hoping they'd play when I first went to see them live. It has this nice atmospheric vibe to it that would probably sound great live. Add some beautiful video of China and a nice soothing warm light show and it could potentially have the audience in tears. Edited by savagegrace26

Tai Shan would be overwhelming live - much like the effect that "Mystic Rhythms" has.

Tai Shan is without a doubt in my mind the MOST UNDERRATED RUSH SONG.

It is glorious. I approached the song the same way I did Mystic Rhythms and Natural Science - first I really didn't get them in the least bit, but then I heard them live, and it's like there's a whole world in those songs now.

Tai Shan teems and wrenches with emotion, and I'm not just saying that for the sake of disagreeing with the masses.

Edited by Steel Rat

QUOTE (Pause Rewind Replay @ Jun 30 2010, 03:45 PM)
QUOTE (amish_ashaman @ Jun 30 2010, 02:34 PM)

Geddy and Alex age 57, overweight 58-year-old carcinogen-lunged drummer ... tongue.gif

bolt.gif

I agree that 2 more "vault" songs to get back up to a S&A length 27 songs would likely have shut up a lot of people.

Okay think, people...there are two less songs than on the Snakes tour...

They did almost the entire Camera Eye...that's about 10 minutes right there. And of course La Villa is close to 10 minutes. I think I even heard something about a weird extension in Marathon? Not only that but they've probably added little chunks into songs here and there, like I heard on youtube that they repeated a verse in Presto before the guitar solo, which was pretty cool biggrin.gif

I'm sure the show adds up to about the same time. It was definately close to 3 hours like always.