setlist ideas

daveyt

i'm trying to come up with a great 3 song setlist for my band to play so i can suprise the hell out of the audience and delight them, as well yes.gif !

i have been jamming on all kinds of stuff at home and it has been alot of fun yes.gif

lately i've been exploring new ideas (purchaced the full LIVE AT LEEDS show as you might know and having much fun learning pete townshend (and his influence on alex lifeson).

alex is so canadien: he like forgot one of his major influences :er:

ok so i'm getting stumped for the ideal setlist. HELP!

SUMMERTIME BLUES yes.gif

NEED SOME LOVE no.gif

If you are thinking of playing Rush...Then I feel this would do the trick...

The Spirit of Radio

New World Man

Tom Sawyer

That should give the audience a "Howdy-Doody!!"

Depends on the audience. If you are going for the high school crowd, which you probably are, 3 rap songs would probably get the best reaction 062802puke_prv.gif But if you wanna play all Rush songs, I would do...

Tom Sawyer

Freewill

Countdown

If you wanna do other artists, The Who, Led Zep, Alice Cooper (School's Out) might be a good idea.

Guest Quigley_Moog
I would throw in some really accesible lesser-known Rush songs like Cygnus X-1 and Analog Kid.

Anthem

By-Tor And the snowdog

Fly By Night

or

2112 overture

but u should rly pick, its your band do the songs u like. When i play, i could care less if ppl like the songs im playing, i play for me.

i think i'm going with the rush medley with some adjustments

FINDING MY WAY (in part w/lyrics)

ANTHEM (in part with lyrics)

A PASSAGE TO BANGKOK (full)

SUMMERTIME BLUES

this one student i want to audition is SO TALENTED! she accepted my audition request and even said "i liked it!" -referring to NEED SOME LOVE and S BLUES. that was key! yes.gif

my drummer is the science teacher mr van der fluit from holland who is the coolest cat and is a rush nut, my bassist is mr ramirez, the big, funny, intelligent quiet man, and me: the most popular teacher

i have been dreaming about this for the past few years and when vandeer fluit came to me and asked me if i played an instrument ! i was in disbelief when he said he plays drums. i already knew ramirez played the bass and he was into the idea.

we will do this outside in the lunch area and be boxed in by the usual 300 students whenever something is going on. these kids are the best audience ever. they interact with entertainment AS A WHOLE. very vocal, kind of like the marine "whoop!" it's great! everything i'm dreaming up is really feeding my ego and if i can pull off what i think i can pull off, it will be memorable event. you can imagine the collective AWWW! as one tune will be introduced as a rush song. they love rush references HAHAHAAH.

i'm sure you will all see it all here on TRF in a couple monthes yes.gif

QUOTE (Moonraker @ Apr 5 2005, 03:34 PM)
If you are going for the high school crowd 3 rap songs would probably get the best reaction 062802puke_prv.gif

yep! laugh.gif when i switch schools and go to the new one, there will be more African-American students there (which i am really looking foward to!) and i will groom that talent!

COUTDOWN has some cool parts worth checking out, as i play the song in my head. thanks mr!

laugh.gif

well, so far i have practiced with my drummer at work about 4 times now. i'm ready to go so it's a matter of just getting him rust-free. we are making great progress. in fact, we are tighter than rush in a few places trink36.gif . FINDING MY WAY is sounding very very nice and ANTHEM is just going to kick some ass. BASTILLE DAY is the most fun to play for me and we'll get going on A PASSAGE TO BANGKOK in a couple weeks along with SUMMERTIME BLUES.

our singer has yet to practice with us and we had a funny moment when i asked her if she was worried about her voice (i finally heard her during a school promo and she has a very clean voice so we'll have to modify it a tad and perhaps make it more bluesy to compensate for the geddy lee shrill). i have a student who will attempt the bass but he's really excited to tackle this. probably because he knows about 250 girls will be in the audience at lunchtime. yes.gif

oh yeah, i just bought another cabinet on EBAY: a MARSHALL AVTa 4X12 so now i can crank it in stereo with my RANDALL CAB. should be nice!!! any thoughts on the AVT?

STAY TUNED

Edited by daveyt

OMG the AVT kicks ass!!!!!

i just bought ANOTHER one on ebay. should be here on friday. i crancked the AVT this morning and jammed out in the auditorium on some RUSH. i can only imagine what it will sound like in stereo!!!

time to hear our singer tomorrow sing some geddy lee.

well 'ere we are again mates!

in about 3.5 weeks we are playing out in the crowded lunch area and things are moving along very nicely. we still need to work with our bass player and i think i found the kid:

he was playing at the battle of the bands show and he has these dreadlock he likes to whirl around while he plays (imagine that along with some geddy lee basslines yes.gif) i offered him $50 to play this gig for the high school. and then there's CRYSTAL...

i recruited her for the singer's role and i tell you she is AMAZING! she's like 4"11", hispanic, and is on the drama team. she is not shy at all when it comes to singing or acting. we rehearsed 2x already and i swear; when she sings the chorus to BASTILLE DAY it is so amazing it will bring tears to your eyes. she sings with so much passion, wearing everything on her sleeve. her voice is very powerful and so beautiful, too! i can't get over how good she sounds singing GEDDY LEE's melodies yes.gif

so: i don't know about you but i love the "behind the scenes" type stuff when it comes to recording albums. i will film her during our next session and you guys can get a taste of what we are working on the show. maybe i can host it on our school's website.

STAY TUNED