Feedback Vs. Pin Ups

The Owl

Which cover album is better?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Which cover album is better?

• Rush - Feedback
    • David Bowie- Pin Ups

I can say I like both these albums... as self indulgent as they may be... there are some good covers in both these albums.

Both are EPs... both are fully covers....

I gotta give the nod to Pinups... I like who he covered better than the bands that Rush covered....

The "See Emily Play" cover on Pin Ups is very well done.

I'm not familiar with the Bowie album, so I won't vote.

However, I will say that Feedback was a good album. It was a good idea to get something new out, and get them out to do the R30 tour.

With that said, where I think the boys really dropped the ball was in their song selection.

Heart Full of Soul, The Seeker, and Crossroads were all excellent choices, and they all sounded great. I just wish they had tried a little harder to pick some more interesting tracks to go along with these. All IMO, of course! biggrin.gif

As blasphemous as it might sound, Pin Ups by a mile.

I think Feedback is very enjoyable, it's just the idea of Rush doing cover tunes. With such an original band and sound, it just seems not them somehow to do covers. Also, part of it is the timing. Rush was covering songs 35-40 years old - the times are so different that a modern reworking of some of those songs just sounds a little stilted to me somehow. As much as I love 60's hippie music, Rush doing 60's hippie music just doesn't seem like Rush.

Bowie was covering songs that were only a few years old, and the times hadn't changed as much. I think the arrangements and performances on Pin Ups are generally pretty excellent, even though some songs definitely shine brighter than others.

It just feels more natural to me somehow Bowie covering these tunes than Rush covering the ones on Feedback. I understand how connected Rush are to those songs and that era they grew up with, but it feels more like nostalgia. With Bowie, it feels a bit more passionate.

Just my opinion...

Feedback is cool when you're rockin' out. I like getting just the right amount of feedback while playing guitar.

Pin-ups are cool, too. I mean, they're hot! But they don't improve your sound. unsure.gif

So it really is apples to oranges.

I voted for pin-ups for the sole reason that Feedback was such a massive, unnecessary disappointment. Worse, we were burdened by two crappy covers on a 30th anniversary tour that should have consisted of solely Rush classics.

Archived