Best Prog "Supergroup"

The Owl

Which of these would you consider the best Prog "Supergroup"?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these would you consider the best Prog "Supergroup"?

• Asia
    • Transatlantic
    • The Tangent
    • Kino
    • Frost*
    • Liquid Tension/Trio Experiment
    • Ayeron
    • GTR
    • U.K
    • Other (Specify)

As it is accoustomed with Progressive Rock... the membeers of Bands that would define themselves as such exist as a somewhat of a community..

As in while each member of a Progressive Band has a "main focus" band.... they will be simatinously running a number of other side projects with members of other prog outfits.....

So which of these Prog "Super Groups" or "Side Projects" do you think is the best....

These are some that I could immeditly list... Hit the "Other" button if there is another and feel free to mention them.

I don't know if "Ayeron" should be included...........but I did anyway...

Ayeron is basically 1 guy's project and he brings on guest musicians and singers for each album....

I haven't even heard of half of them, and I haven't heard much of the others. The only one I have anything by is GTR, so I'll pick it but not vote.

QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ Jul 21 2009, 06:59 PM)
I haven't even heard of half of them, and I haven't heard much of the others. The only one I have anything by is GTR, so I'll pick it but not vote.

Help me out! Vote GTR

I took Ancient Ways' suggestion and voted for GTR.

QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ Jul 23 2009, 01:53 AM)

I took Ancient Ways' suggestion and voted for GTR.

Alright! I had the good fortune of seeing them around 87/88 with Kansas. Awesome night.

I'm going against the grain here, but I am a huge fan of Frost*. Kino gets the second nod.

As far as Kino reforming, not likely, but the last release from It Bites contains material that might as well be Kino. John Mitchell has joined the band for it. Check out the song "This is England".

Asia and GTR are nothing more that POP ROCK groups, populated by musicians from former Prog Rock outfits...ASIA is as mainstream as a Rock band might be.

The real competition here is between TRANSATLANTIC and U.K.

I just heard both U.K. titles the other day and I'm truly astonished by what this band was able to accomplish, one day with an awesome, accomplished guitar player, the next day without him in the lineup...The band saw an unparalleled drummer come and go, and the band didn't miss a single beat with either of these lineup changes. The second outing is actually better than the first.

But, the latest Transatlantic release was one of the most impressive things I've ever heard out of the realm of Progressive Rock...

I went for Transatlantic merely because that band has three releases, whereas U.K. only had two...Otherwise, I enjoy them both pretty equally.

Aren't there other Prog Rock supergroups?

Crap...didn't vote for Kino on accident.

Archived