High Score documentary

Steevo

Looking forward to playing a few games sometime soon. Funspot in NH has all these games I like:

Elevator Action

Star Trek: Strategic Operations Simulator

Tron

Crazy Climber

Crystal Castles

Dragon's Lair

Space Ace

Eagle

Gorf

Frogger

Joust

Karate Champ

Major Havoc

Mario Bros.

Missile Command

Phoenix

Popeye

Punch-Out!

Q-Bert

Qix

Rampage

Robotron: 2084

Rolling Thunder

Spy Hunter

Star Wars

Super Pac-Man

Tag Team Wrestling

Tetris

Track & Field

Wizard of Wor

Xenophobe

I'm definitely looking forward to going to NH for a weekend (or more) and spending a few hundred dollars on a nostalgia trip!

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Damn! They have my old stonie game there from 1980! Wizard of Wor!!!

Me and a buddy used to get slammed and then go play WoW(that's right, the original WoW, and I'm not talking about World of Warcraft!)

Ah man, we had some great times playing that bastid. I'm definately gonna hit NH up one of these days for a trip down memory lane!

A YouTube vid I just found of the original Wiz. It had speech back then too, even if it was kinda funky sounding lol...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHwx-I-a2kI&NR=1

WoW world record holders(father and son)

Hey GeddyRulz, or anyone, what was the name of that futuristic football game that came out around '85 or so, that had like 7 or 8 robots on each team, and they were on track treads, like a tank almost, but they moved pretty fast on the football field? That was another one of my faves! Anyone? I want to say it's PowerBall or something like that, can't remember.

Edited by SiriusRushFan

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jun 10 2009, 03:07 AM)
Looking forward to playing a few games sometime soon.  Funspot in NH has all these games I like:

Tron
Dragon's Lair
Frogger
Mario Bros.
Phoenix
Star Wars
Super Pac-Man
Tetris

drool1.gif

I found the robot football game I was thinking about. It was called CYBERBALL! It had two versions, the original came out in 1988, and the CYBERBALL 2072 version came out in 1989. I played the 2072 version the most I think. Here's an Arcade Flyer of the two of them...

CYBERBALL

CYBERBALL 2072

And also on the Arcade Museum site with more pics n info, including the Tournament version, where 4 peeps could play together against each other or the computer...

CYBERBALL 2072

Tournament CYBERBALL 2072

Edited by SiriusRushFan

A friend of my former roommate had a Cyberball machine in his house. My former roomie and the guys she worked with were major league video game heads, far beyond me at my worst, and I thought I was bad!

I almost beat Karate Champ back in 1984. I was playing out of my mind that day and I was one fight away from beating the game, but I choked.

My score was 210,500.

QUOTE (Rendclaw @ Jun 10 2009, 07:00 PM)
A friend of my former roommate had a Cyberball machine in his house. My former roomie and the guys she worked with were major league video game heads, far beyond me at my worst, and I thought I was bad!

I almost beat Karate Champ back in 1984. I was playing out of my mind that day and I was one fight away from beating the game, but I choked.

My score was 210,500.

Karate Champ was a good game. I liked using some of the flashier moves, but often it was the simplest ones which worked. I found that walking straight at your opponent and immediately kicking forward - one of the simplest moves - worked almost everytime, for a 1/2 point.

Same with Tag Team Wrestling. There were a lot of involved moves, but the secret of the game was to keep applying the simplest - the "nutter" - over and over against your opponent. Then you'd beat him.

The arcades (Roller Dome in Hamden, CT and Chuckee Cheese (Waterbury, CT) I went to had games like

Centipede

Space Invaders

Defender (one of my faves)

Radar Scope http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PB0vnD605U

New York New York http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8RCc8Fa1ao

Asteroids

Space Invaders

Missile Command

Pheonix

Gorf

Moon Cresta

Vanguard

I never excelled at any game in particular

By the mid-80's games like:

Flying Tigers

Tempest

Gauntlet (FAVE!!!)

R-Type

And remember Dragons Lair it was like playing a cartoon!!!!

The list is endless.

I forgot to mention on Galaga I knew a cheat pattern where I could make the game stop firing at me...I'd play for hours and the game would never shoot back.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jun 11 2009, 05:05 AM)
QUOTE (Rendclaw @ Jun 10 2009, 07:00 PM)

My score was 210,500.

Karate Champ was a good game. I liked using some of the flashier moves, but often it was the simplest ones which worked. I found that walking straight at your opponent and immediately kicking forward - one of the simplest moves - worked almost everytime, for a 1/2 point.

Same with Tag Team Wrestling. There were a lot of involved moves, but the secret of the game was to keep applying the simplest - the "nutter" - over and over against your opponent. Then you'd beat him.

I went the other way with Tag Team Wrestling. You always went with the most damaging moves that you could get away with. With the big guy you set him up with the drop kick or body slam so that you were between him and his partner, then did rabbit kicks on him until he went for the tag, then do one more then pin him.

The masked guy was even easier. one clothesline, then piledrive him into oblivion.

QUOTE (Steevo @ Jun 14 2009, 10:20 PM)
Im bidding on Namco Museum 50th and Taito Legends for PS2.  Anyone have these versions?

LOL, I guess not. Anyways I have Taito but Namco Im holding off. Its PS2 and I think Im the only one on the planet that still plays this console laugh.gif

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jun 9 2009, 10:07 AM)
Looking forward to playing a few games sometime soon. Funspot in NH has all these games I like:

Elevator Action
Star Trek: Strategic Operations Simulator
Tron
Crazy Climber
Crystal Castles
Dragon's Lair
Space Ace
Eagle
Gorf
Frogger
Joust
Karate Champ
Major Havoc
Mario Bros.
Missile Command
Phoenix
Popeye
Punch-Out!
Q-Bert
Qix
Rampage
Robotron: 2084
Rolling Thunder
Spy Hunter
Star Wars
Super Pac-Man
Tag Team Wrestling
Tetris
Track & Field
Wizard of Wor
Xenophobe

I'm definitely looking forward to going to NH for a weekend (or more) and spending a few hundred dollars on a nostalgia trip!

My pilgramage to the classic arcade Mecca has been planned!

I'm going to Funspot in New Hampshire on Monday and Tuesday.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jul 7 2009, 09:37 AM)

MAN, TALK ABOUT GOING BACK IN TIME.....it's been 33 years since I've been to Funspot.

I'm surprised it's still in operation.

I spent way too much time in front of video games and wasted way too much money...but I loved every minute of it. These days there isn't much time for that but when I get a break, PC gaming does the trick. It's usually games like Civ3, Rise of Nations, or Age of Empires. I'm getting a bit sick of them and need a new one.

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Jul 7 2009, 08:45 AM)

MAN, TALK ABOUT GOING BACK IN TIME.....it's been 33 years since I've been to Funspot.

AND.... they still have almost all those old games from back then!

That's why I'm going: the nostalgia trip; getting to play the classic arcade games I grew up with in the 80s, during the "Golden Age" of video games.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jul 7 2009, 09:47 AM)

That's why I'm going: the nostalgia trip; getting to play the classic arcade games I grew up with in the 80s, during the "Golden Age" of video games.

Have fun on your trip! smile.gif

QUOTE (SiriusRushFan @ Jul 7 2009, 03:28 PM)
Definately have to snap some if you somehow manage to go back into your 80's zone while playing and get a high score on one of the machines.

In order for that to happen, I may need them to play New Wave music over the speakers - A Flock of Seagulls, ABC, the Thompson Twins, the Human League, etc. - to make my trip back into the 80s complete and get me into The Zone. laugh.gif

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jul 7 2009, 09:47 AM)

Sounds like a blast GR! Wish I was going with you. Have a great time trink39.gif

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jul 7 2009, 04:41 PM)
Definately have to snap some if you somehow manage to go back into your 80's zone while playing and get a high score on one of the machines.

In order for that to happen, I may need them to play New Wave music over the speakers - A Flock of Seagulls, ABC, the Thompson Twins, the Human League, etc. - to make my trip back into the 80s complete and get me into The Zone. laugh.gif

I have a vivid memory of playing Time Pilot and hearing She Blinded Me w/ Science.

QUOTE (Prince Sphinc-Tor @ Jul 7 2009, 07:02 PM)
QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jul 7 2009, 04:41 PM)

I have a vivid memory of playing Time Pilot and hearing She Blinded Me w/ Science.

For me it was playing Targ and listening to Tom Sawyer.

Here is the game incase you don't know which one I mean.

http://www.klov.com/game_detail.php?game_id=10034

Monday morning. I'm off to Funspot, at Weirs Beach on Lake Winnipesaukee in Laconia, New Hampshire.

"Classic" videogame heaven. Should be great!

Two days.

A lot of driving.

A lot of videogame-playing.

About 10-11 hours total of staring at screens, pushing buttons, moving joysticks.

137 tokens spent, which actually only cost me a paltry $28. I thought I'd be spending $100.

I'm home. I'm tired. Pictures and details tomorrow (Wednesday).