Cakewalk Sonar 8 Producer

Tarkus406

Anyone who uses Cakewalk Sonar,

Okay so I've started using Cakewalk Sonar 8 Producer Edition and I need help. I'm using the program's audio metronome to keep in beat while recording. But when I'm done recording, I notice that the audio track becomes increasingly out of sync as the length of the track increases. This isn't me, I tested it by hitting a piano note on every beat, but when I was done, the end of the track was off the beat. The audio is fast by 1/8 beat for every 8 bars, I think. Here are a couple of screenshots to show you.

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk264/Tarkus406/sonar1.jpg

As you can see in the beginning of the track, the piano notes still line up with the beat.

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk264/Tarkus406/sonar2.jpg

And here's the end of the track, whereas you can see that the piano notes no longer line up with the metronome.

If there's anybody here who uses Cakewalk Sonar and knows what this problem could be, I would appreciate any help! Thanks folks. I'm posting this in Reverse Polarity and Making Modern Music, since I think it applies to both.

Thanks,

Tarky

Weird, I don't use Sonar, but something that could cause this would be discrepancies in your sample rates. If somehow the tracks you're recording are being recorded at a different sample rate than the rate Sonar is set to, then that would cause timing issues.

Check the sample rate on the files, and see what your Sonar settings are, if they're the same then I have no idea laugh.gif

What sound card do you have? Are the latest drivers installed and have you tried switching to the ASIO drivers in CW? This is just off the top of my head as I had similar issues with the sound card built into the motherboard, but as soon as I got the Line6 Toneport UX2 all the trouble went away. trink39.gif

QUOTE (hunter @ Apr 12 2009, 03:43 PM)
What sound card do you have? Are the latest drivers installed and have you tried switching to the ASIO drivers in CW?

Could you go a little more in-depth about those ASIO drivers? I was having a latency problem with Adobe Audition and someone had mentioned those drivers.

YES! 653.gif

Okay, its all set. The ASIO driver did a world of good. yes.gif

My sound card for recording right now is a Lexicon Lambda, which comes with its own ASIO driver but for some reason I tried not to use it eyesre4.gif (shows how much I know, eh?) laugh.gif

Anyway, I set Sonar to use Lambda's ASIO driver, set the Record Latency Adjustment setting to go with whatever the Lambda suggested, and tweaked the Audio Buffering setting in the ASIO control. That did it yes.gif

Now all my test tracks are lining up with no problem that I can see/hear... biggrin.gif

This also solved another problem I was having with the Lambda where the playback was coming out as white noise. This was actually the reason I was trying to avoid using ASIO at first because I wanted to record in through the Lambda but have the playback come out through my SigmaTel sound card doh.gif

Now I can have everything go I/O through the Lambda and everything's clear smile.gif

Yeah, I'm a recording n00b, big deal tongue.gif

Thanks for the advice, Hunter trink39.gif

I dont usually use that many emoticons unsure.gif oop theres another one

Edited by Tarkus406

Glad it helped. biggrin.gif

Hmm... more in depth. I'm afraid I'm at the shallow end of the pool here, but it's my understanding that Steinberg developed the ASIO as a high performance, low latency driver that works especially well with USB devices. You need to be sure both your hardware and software support it.

Here

is a good explanation. Hope it helps. trink39.gif