My Bands Cover Of Limelight(GREAT VOCALS)

presto123

QUOTE (shaun3701 @ Apr 9 2009, 08:25 PM)
pretty good man... although to be honest the guy doing the vocals makes me cringe a little lol. Geddy's voice is not easy to emulate though, so props to him for trying.

Wow. You're the first person that didn't like the vocals. Posted this link on a couple other message boards and some were raving about the vox. Obviously nobody's gonna sound exactly like Ged. Thanks for watching.

You played on my birthday, 5-16! Awesome cover anyway, nailed vocals (although a little forced and unatural sounding at best, did a decent job of hitting the vocal keys) and everything! cool.gif

God man, those vocals are baaaadddddddd. He sounds like a leprechaun or something. There's nothing worse than when someone tries to actually sound like Geddy. It just never works. If you're going to sing Rush, do it in your natural singing voice.

Take a clue from Jacob Moon who did that Subdivisions cover, which is the best Rush cover ive ever seen. Check it on youtube if you havent seen it. THAT is how you sing Rush.

QUOTE (trenken @ Apr 10 2009, 01:56 PM)
God man, those vocals are baaaadddddddd. He sounds like a leprechaun or something. There's nothing worse than when someone tries to actually sound like Geddy. It just never works. If you're going to sing Rush, do it in your natural singing voice.

Take a clue from Jacob Moon who did that Subdivisions cover, which is the best Rush cover ive ever seen. Check it on youtube if you havent seen it. THAT is how you sing Rush.

He's got a good voice but it sounds nothing like Rush. Even I can sing Subdivisions singing it like that. And the thing that impresses me more is a WHOLE BAND nailing the parts. Not just a acoustic guitar thing. Still a nice version though. And like I said before I've never heard Anybody, not even the Rush tribute bands, nail Geddy perfectly. Don't think it can be done. Geddy should take that as a compliment. But it is kinda weird that some posters on other message boards thought Mark's vocals were awesome. I don't think they are spectacular but I think they are pretty good.

QUOTE (presto123 @ Apr 10 2009, 01:32 PM)
QUOTE (trenken @ Apr 10 2009, 01:56 PM)

But it is kinda weird that some posters on other message boards thought Mark's vocals were awesome. I don't think they are spectacular but I think they are pretty good.

Why is it "kinda weird"? You posted (GREAT VOCALS) in your thread title, and we are telling you what we think about that them. You wanted honest opinions, that is what you're getting.

Yeah you posted it on youtube. You must be curious to see what people think, so we're telling you. You cant really get mad at us. The band is decent, the singing is not. It's really weird sounding. He just doesnt sound like a skilled singer to me, and on top of it he is trying so hard to sound like Geddy which is a mistake. It's pretty awful actually.

Jacob Moon sounds fantastic because it's a fresh, modern take on an old song by a guy with a wonderful singing voice with a vibrato that is as smooth as butter. It just works. Huge difference from what your singer is trying to do. Just tell him to sing with a normal voice dude and you'll be fine. the leprechaun thing is not working, and also he is not able to hit any high notes well, so he needs to lower the key or something.

Wow...really brutal on the vocals dude. Yeah, as someone else mentioned if you're trying "too hard" to sound like Geddy, the end result could be a nightmare and in this case...it's a Freddy Krueger type nightmare....and it's one that will haunt me for a very long time

But you did a great job on Drums and I really liked the guitar playing too. But as far as Rush covers may just want to stick with YYZ, La Villa, etc.....know what I mean? Those "types" of songs...and give the singer some time to reflect a little on life

Honestly it's possible to sing like Geddy and do a good job, but you need an exceptional voice, and most just dont have it. A guy that could do it well is the singer from The Mars Volta. He can sing old Rush as good as Geddy ever did, but like I said most are not able to do that.

Sounded good except the vocals, although they weren't terrible...why not just sing it in his regular singing voice?

Mark(vocals) isn't actually in our band anymore. He is relocating to New Hampshire and had to quit. We have a female singer now plus the guitar player sings alot of lead. So obviously we aren't doing Limelight anymore. But we used to do YYZ. May have to bring that one back. Anybody ever seen a Rush tribute band where the vocals were real impressive?

Oh. And as far as the earlier comment just find it surprising that so far everybody on Rushtour Forum has liked the vocals or found them great and some on here call them" nightmarish". Doesn't that surprise YOU that there could be that far of a variance in opinion from hardcore Rush fans??

QUOTE (presto123 @ Apr 10 2009, 06:15 PM)
Mark(vocals) isn't actually in our band anymore. He is relocating to New Hampshire and had to quit. We have a female singer now plus the guitar player sings alot of lead. So obviously we aren't doing Limelight anymore. But we used to do YYZ. May have to bring that one back. Anybody ever seen a Rush tribute band where the vocals were real impressive?

Oh. And as far as the earlier comment just find it surprising that so far everybody on Rushtour Forum has liked the vocals or found them great and some on here call them" nightmarish". Doesn't that surprise YOU that there could be that far of a variance in opinion from hardcore Rush fans??

They're being kind man. We're just a heartless bunch here.

Just kidding. The guy isnt a great singer dude. I dont want to lie to you.

Yes. There are a couple of Rush tribute bands on YouTube that do very well.

Yeah, the voclas could use some work; however, the guitar is DEAD ON. The tone is just like as if it were Alex's Hughes & Kettner setup. The only flaw that I could hear is the opening chords when the band joins in. I noticed that he played a normal B, A, E progression, rather than the suspended B, A, E where the B note (G string, 4th fret) is fretted at all times. That's how Alex does it. He LOVES those open suspended chords.

he bass could use some distortion on it, but that's just me. I'm a HUGE fan distorted bass sounds. Other that that, he can play that song on the bass better than I can (of course, I hadn't really tried either).

Overall, awesome job. That's the best cover I've heard of Limelight.

QUOTE (trenken @ Apr 10 2009, 06:23 PM)

Actually he is a pretty good singer. Maybe not on Rush for you but he's stronger on the lower register stuff which he did alot of because we played such a wide variety. Pretty damn good keyboard player as well but you can't really show that in Limelight. I saw a Rush tribute band a long time ago that traveled the country and even he didn't sound like Geddy. Sounded more like Rik Emmett trying to do Geddy. Are there any youtube videos where the singer actually sounds alot like Geddy? I'll have to search around. Even on the Working Man tribute record that all the National artists did I didn't think anybody did a good job on vocals. Did you hear Mark Slaughter trying to do Geddy. That was pretty bad. smile.gif

QUOTE (presto123 @ Apr 10 2009, 06:32 PM)
QUOTE (trenken @ Apr 10 2009, 06:23 PM)

Actually he is a pretty good singer. Maybe not on Rush for you but he's stronger on the lower register stuff which he did alot of because we played such a wide variety. Pretty damn good keyboard player as well but you can't really show that in Limelight. I saw a Rush tribute band a long time ago that traveled the country and even he didn't sound like Geddy. Sounded more like Rik Emmett trying to do Geddy. Are there any youtube videos where the singer actually sounds alot like Geddy? I'll have to search around. Even on the Working Man tribute record that all the National artists did I didn't think anybody did a good job on vocals. Did you hear Mark Slaughter trying to do Geddy. That was pretty bad. smile.gif

That's the thing, it's okay to not sound like Geddy. It's better most of the time unless you just have a sick voice. Make it your own. When you try to sound just like them in every way it's just sort of lame, I think anyway.

I appreciate seeing Rush covers where people make it their own much more than someone trying to sound like Rush. Ive seen Rush live many times, and I have DVDs, and youtube to watch them, I dont need to see a band that is not Rush try to sound like Rush. Do something original with it and you'll get a lot more praise I think.

This is the reason why that Jacob Moon guy not only has 50,000 hits on his Rush cover, but received an email from Geddy himself. Even Geddy appreciated it, and it has everything to do with the fact that he did something new with it. I dont think Geddy is emailing any average Rush cover bands.

Just trying to help man. I dont want to lie to you and make you think it sounds good when it really doesnt.

Drums were amazing, very well done Presto. The guitar and bass were excellent too, perfect sound out of the guitar and the bass went along extremely well. I'm not doubting your vocalist's talent, but he simply doesn't sound good doing the song. Like most others have said before me, he should try to make the performance his own instead of trying to imitate Geddy, I'm sure he'd do great.

Even so, it was still a KICKASS performance! From EVERYONE!

QUOTE (Jp93 @ Apr 10 2009, 09:08 PM)
Drums were amazing, very well done Presto. The guitar and bass were excellent too, perfect sound out of the guitar and the bass went along extremely well. I'm not doubting your vocalist's talent, but he simply doesn't sound good doing the song. Like most others have said before me, he should try to make the performance his own instead of trying to imitate Geddy, I'm sure he'd do great.

Even so, it was still a KICKASS performance! From EVERYONE!

Thanks for the compliment. All I did around 1986 was study and play Rush covers all day long every album of theirs. So it's what I cut my teeth on. Some of my favs to play are LaVilla Strangiato(which I've recorded in a studio project) Natural Science, Tom Sawyer, Subdivisions, The Weapon, Distant Early Warning, Afterimage, Marathon, Time Stand Still, Chain Lightning. Will post a link to my Peart inspired live drum solo soon. Again thanks for watching.

Ultimately, vocals is where you take the most flak because it is the most easily identifiable aspect of your band's sound, and the one most used to compare with the original (if you do covers). Either your singer uses his own voice and you get comments because he doesn't sound like Geddy (no one does), or he does an imitation and gets criticized because he tries too hard. I find the best way is for the singer to go with his natural voice and focus on pitch, phrasing and inflection rather than try to change his timbre. This is even more important in a cover band where you have many vocal styles to contend with.

Musically, your band is very good and tight, and I love the guitar tone - one of the best I've heard. I bet your singer does an awesome job on Sabbath covers, for some reason his voice timbre reminds me of Ozzy.

I found the tribute band singer with the vocal timbre closest to Geddy is the vocalist from Limelight NY - he really nails the early stuff:

http://www.myspace.com/limelightatributetorush

QUOTE (Wilderness_of_Mirrors @ Apr 9 2009, 09:05 PM)

the singer sounds like hes on helium though

I have a hard time hearing ANYONE try to sing Geddy's parts.

I think you set yourself up putting "GREAT VOCALS" in the title.

QUOTE (ESO9 @ Apr 11 2009, 10:46 AM)
QUOTE (Wilderness_of_Mirrors @ Apr 9 2009, 09:05 PM)

the singer sounds like hes on helium though

I have a hard time hearing ANYONE try to sing Geddy's parts.

I think you set yourself up putting "GREAT VOCALS" in the title.

Well there have been quite a few posters on other sites that have replied "great vocals" as well with no prompting from me. Just sayin. Your word isn't necessarily the gospel.

Archived