ADVENTURELAND

Presto-digitation

Probably the best comedy since Sarah Marshall. Really....don't miss it. Much stronger comedy than I Love You, Man, despite the more limited Rush references....(this film does have one, however). Edited by Presto-digitation

FWIW, this movie did very badly at the box office this past week-end (though reviews have been overwhelmingly positive), so it might not be around for very long.

We were going to see it this past week-end but ended up changing our minds - definitely this next week-end though! yes.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Apr 7 2009, 12:03 PM)
FWIW, this movie did very badly at the box office this past week-end (though reviews have been overwhelmingly positive), so it might not be around for very long.

We were going to see it this past week-end but ended up changing our minds - definitely this next week-end though! yes.gif

Good. Well worth it. Doesn't have a big name like "Seth Rogen" or "Jason Segal." But don't let the bad turn out get ya down. wink.gif MUCH better than I Love You, Man....IMO.

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Apr 7 2009, 04:30 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Apr 7 2009, 12:03 PM)

Good. Well worth it. Doesn't have a big name like "Seth Rogen" or "Jason Segal." But don't let the bad turn out get ya down. wink.gif MUCH better than I Love You, Man....IMO.

Ok, I finally saw this movie. Some observations:

1. A highly enjoyable movie.

2. Not as good as I Love You, Man IMHO, but still great.

3. Not at all what I expected. This was first a coming of age drama, and only secondarily a comedy. The fact that it was directed by the director of Superbad, I expected it to have jokes thrown at me a mile a minute like in Superbad. Instead, it was more of a sweet story that had a lot of funny bits in it, but nowhere near the level of humor in Superbad, Forgetting Sarah Marshall, Knocked Up, The 40 Year Old Virgin, etc. I was extremely surprised.

4. A truly excellent Rush reference.

Edited by rushgoober

What I liked with Adventureland over I Love You, Man was in both the writing and the characters. It was simply a better-penned story and had characters I gravitated toward because they were fleshed out, even if they were younger than most of us are now. Man was much more of a typical, cookie-cutter comedy. Adventureland had both humor and heart, much like the Freaks and Geeks TV show of 1999....not to mention some spot on late 80s references across the board. I graduated high school in '87 and it really captured the discontent of getting that shitty-but-inevitable summer job.

Quite frankly I figured Adventureland would be a LOT dumber than it was. Its heart and subtlety surprised me.

Edited by Presto-digitation

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Apr 13 2009, 04:59 AM)
What I liked with Adventureland over I Love You, Man was in both the writing and the characters. It was simply a better-penned story and had characters I gravitated toward because they were fleshed out, even if they were younger than most of us are now. Man was much more of a typical, cookie-cutter comedy. Adventureland had both humor and heart, much like the Freaks and Geeks TV show of 1999....not to mention some spot on late 80s references across the board. I graduated high school in '87 and it really captured the discontent of getting that shitty-but-inevitable summer job.

Quite frankly I figured Adventureland would be a LOT dumber than it was. Its heart and subtlety surprised me.

I thought both movies were great, but for very different reasons - I Love You, Man was just flat out hilarious with a very enjoyable storyline to boot. Adventureland was perhaps the better story, but dramas tend to have more fleshed out realistic characters than comedies anyway. I don't think it's better than I Love You, Man because of it, it's just different.

And I really think Adventureland was more of a drama - it had some hilarious bits in it that were every bit as funny as I Love You, Man and others of that ilk, but that wasn't it's primary focus at all.

I guess I enjoyed I Love You, Man more since I was just so wildly entertained all the way through and the Rush stuff just sent it over the top for me making it a borderline religious experience.

Also, I think I went into Adventureland expecting an all-out comedy, so I was taken aback and had to adjust to a completely different kind of movie.

I know I'll be revisiting both many times in the years to come...

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Apr 13 2009, 08:30 AM)
QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Apr 13 2009, 04:59 AM)
What I liked with Adventureland over I Love You, Man was in both the writing and the characters.  It was simply a better-penned story and had characters I gravitated toward because they were fleshed out, even if they were younger than most of us are now.  Man was much more of a typical, cookie-cutter comedy.  Adventureland had both humor and heart, much like the Freaks and Geeks TV show of 1999....not to mention some spot on late 80s references across the board.  I graduated high school in '87 and it really captured the discontent of getting that shitty-but-inevitable summer job.

Quite frankly I figured Adventureland would be a LOT dumber than it was.  Its heart and subtlety surprised me.

I thought both movies were great, but for very different reasons - I Love You, Man was just flat out hilarious with a very enjoyable storyline to boot. Adventureland was perhaps the better story, but dramas tend to have more fleshed out realistic characters than comedies anyway. I don't think it's better than I Love You, Man because of it, it's just different.

And I really think Adventureland was more of a drama - it had some hilarious bits in it that were every bit as funny as I Love You, Man and others of that ilk, but that wasn't it's primary focus at all.

I guess I enjoyed I Love You, Man more since I was just so wildly entertained all the way through and the Rush stuff just sent it over the top for me making it a borderline religious experience.

Also, I think I went into Adventureland expecting an all-out comedy, so I was taken aback and had to adjust to a completely different kind of movie.

I know I'll be revisiting both many times in the years to come...

Here-here..! trink39.gif

Finally saw this via rental.

I was expecting a no-holds-barred comedy and it really was more of a coming of age drama with some comic moments thrown in. Kristin Stewart (I tihnk that's her name) stole the show.