VH1's That Metal Show

naturalsciences101

This is a show with unlimited, untapped potential. But it will inevitably be cancelled before the middle of the year. Mark my words. Trunk's got a healthy amount of knowledge on the history of Metal, and probably a decent degree of knowledge on the current scene. But, the show is real rudimentarly, surface-level stuff. I actually predicted the Sabbath vs. Zeppelin and Maiden v.s Priest throwdowns which were used already. Way too predictable. I don't think any of the three hosts possess any substantial in-depth knowledge about Heavy Metal. If they did, they'd be able to speak in detail about a whole slate of recent releases and have the power to send viewers out to pick up some noteworthy acquisitions.

Not a word spoken about recent titles by Testament, Onlsaught, Iced Earth, Megadeth, Dio, Maiden, Priest, Exodus, Candlemass, etc., etc., etc. There should be a 'Reviewer's Section', where all three hosts are assigned a couple of the same titles to listen to that week, and then be asked to speak about them in some detail. This would go a far distance in garnering support for new and re-emerging bands. There's a ton of great material out there as of late. I truly feel that the last five or so years has been the overall strongest in Metal's 35 year history.

The comedy angle of the show is refreshing and this lends credence to Trunk's two sidekicks, who otherwise wouldn't have any business being up there at all. I think that Don Jamieson's extent of Metal knowledge begins and ends with Anvil and UFO. lol. If I had any kind of motivation whatsoever, I'd write to these guys and give 'em a ton of contructive criticism on the program. If this thing is mishandled as it is at present, I see a cancellation in their near future. But, the guests have been pretty solid thus far. And, since Eddie's in good with Dio and Iommi, I would expect to see those guys when the new album is ready for consumption. ..What do you guys feel about this show, and how it can be improved?

I like the show, but I agree it could potentially be a lot better.

To me the whole show seems hurried and abbreviated.

The main thing I think is that 30 minutes goes by real fast, and the artist interviews suffer the most from it in order to fit all their segments in. They are much too short and only scratch the surface of anything. They simply don't have time to go beyond the "real rudimentarly, surface-level stuff. "

(and in that format it would seem that they could really get the artists to have fun and talk a little more freely, perhaps)

If the show was extended to an hour they could fit in the out-on-the-street bits, Stump The Trunk, throwdowns, etc., have more time for a decent interview, and then have time to do things like cover the newer metal scene(s) and whatnot.

Yes, less bits and more Q&A with the artists would work a lot better... and whoever is doing the editing is doing a terrible job. Half the reason why it looks rushed through is because its being edited that way. One hour would solve a lot of problems, but that's not the cure-all.

Take the recent episode with Geddy and Alex. There were times were I thought they were just window dressing through the episode. I know Eddie did an in depth interview with them in 2006 I believe, but hey, ask them questions and lay off on the bits...

there is a thread on this somewhere . 2 or 3 pages

1022.gif

oh yeah, eddie trunk is an ass hat

QUOTE (Storm Shadow @ Feb 23 2009, 09:41 AM)
That show Talking Metal that was on Fuse was awesome. It owned the hell out of That Metal Show for sure. I liked the sort of supergroup jams at the end:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3QCSjlJPFs

yes.gif great show . those guys know their shit. trunk is a fraud that talks way to much on his radio show

1022.gif

QUOTE (naturalsciences101 @ Feb 24 2009, 02:44 PM)
More Metal please, less lollygagging, scalawaggery and horseplay.

and less of the two complete unfunny jackass's

1022.gif

What was the show that Fuse had with Miss Julia? She would hang with a band all day and they'd just keep showing her interviewing them and then videos the band had done. It was AWESOME. Julia is the bomb. I met her at OzzFest and she was the coolest metal chick I've ever met.

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Feb 24 2009, 04:24 PM)
What was the show that Fuse had with Miss Julia? She would hang with a band all day and they'd just keep showing her interviewing them and then videos the band had done. It was AWESOME. Julia is the bomb. I met her at OzzFest and she was the coolest metal chick I've ever met.

nah Necro , two diff show's. she is a real cool chick . you see her at all the metal shows in N.Y.C. talking metal i only see online. they always have cool guests that jam at the end

1022.gif

QUOTE (metaldad @ Feb 24 2009, 05:28 PM)
What was the show that Fuse had with Miss Julia?  She would hang with a band all day and they'd just keep showing her interviewing them and then videos the band had done.  It was AWESOME.  Julia is the bomb.  I met her at OzzFest and she was the coolest metal chick I've ever met.

nah Necro , two diff show's. she is a real cool chick . you see her at all the metal shows in N.Y.C. talking metal i only see online. they always have cool guests that jam at the end

1022.gif

Right, but Julia used to have her own show, waaaaaay before Talking Metal. I've seen that show and totally agree that it was a bangin' metal show. Those geeks could really rock out. 1022.gif

But I preferred the show that Julia had. Not just cuz she was so hot, but her interviews were meaty. Not the same old crap that most folks pull off. Maybe it didn't have a name. I dunno. There was also rumor that she was gonna take over The HeadBangers Ball at some point, but that never happened. sad.gif

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Feb 24 2009, 04:31 PM)
What was the show that Fuse had with Miss Julia?  She would hang with a band all day and they'd just keep showing her interviewing them and then videos the band had done.  It was AWESOME.  Julia is the bomb.  I met her at OzzFest and she was the coolest metal chick I've ever met.

1022.gif

Right, but Julia used to have her own show, waaaaaay before Talking Metal. I've seen that show and totally agree that it was a bangin' metal show. Those geeks could really rock out. 1022.gif

But I preferred the show that Julia had. Not just cuz she was so hot, but her interviews were meaty. Not the same old crap that most folks pull off. Maybe it didn't have a name. I dunno. There was also rumor that she was gonna take over The HeadBangers Ball at some point, but that never happened. sad.gif

uranium ???

QUOTE (metaldad @ Feb 24 2009, 05:33 PM)

1022.gif

uranium ???

Yep. You win a cupie doll. z7shysterical.gif

That was it. I think it was daily, but she hung out with someone of interest almost every day.

She also does a slamming interview on Type O Negative's DVD. I love Julia. I really didn't need anymore Type O stuff... but when I saw that Julia was on it... OH YEAH!!! biggrin.gif drool1.gif

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Feb 24 2009, 04:41 PM)

1022.gif

uranium ???

That was it. I think it was daily, but she hung out with someone of interest almost every day.

She also does a slamming interview on Type O Negative's DVD. I love Julia. I really didn't need anymore Type O stuff... but when I saw that Julia was on it... OH YEAH!!! biggrin.gif drool1.gif

and she just keeps on getting hotter also wub.gif . she bartends in brooklyn at DUFF'S

1022.gif

QUOTE (metaldad @ Feb 24 2009, 05:43 PM)

1022.gif

uranium ???

and she just keeps on getting hotter also wub.gif . she bartends in brooklyn at DUFF'S

1022.gif

NO WAY!!! Are you serious?

When and how often? Or is that the same question??? laugh.gif

Dude... you know we come out there all the time, so when are we gonna go to Duff's??? You tell me when she's there and we'll make the arrangements to hang. My kid lives in Brooklyn too...so this will JAM.

1022.gif

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Feb 24 2009, 04:47 PM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Feb 24 2009, 05:43 PM)

1022.gif

uranium ???

1022.gif

NO WAY!!! Are you serious?

When and how often? Or is that the same question??? laugh.gif

Dude... you know we come out there all the time, so when are we gonna go to Duff's??? You tell me when she's there and we'll make the arrangements to hang. My kid lives in Brooklyn too...so this will JAM.

1022.gif

she is there a lot on fri/sat nights , atleast she was . lot's of pix on DUFFS site. everyone [bands] goes to DUFF'S . if you look you can see her bartending and what she wears wub.gif

1022.gif

Mistress Julia was a dirty lil' wench, twasn't she? We know that she had a taste for the female lunchbox, but I'm wondering which of the elite class of Rocker did she let violate her 'tre orifii'.

I'm thinkin' it might have been daddy mack Zakk. I don't think she'd give it up to the second or third rung of Rocker. I think she's only doling it out to the Elite.

Then again, I could be completely wrong and she's waking up in the back of tour buses pretty much Monday through Sunday. Whadaya think?

I'm thinking that an awesome name for an all female rock band is 'Tre Orifii'

she loves strip clubs i know that but, she loves the rock dudes

1022.gif

QUOTE (metaldad @ Feb 24 2009, 07:46 PM)
1022.gif

Mistress Julia ! drool1.gif I would show her the best 15 minutes of her life ! 1022.gif atickhum.gif

QUOTE (tick @ Feb 24 2009, 10:03 PM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Feb 24 2009, 07:46 PM)
1022.gif

Mistress Julia ! drool1.gif I would show her the best 15 minutes of her life ! 1022.gif atickhum.gif

She a nasty one, huh? I might wanna flog 'er. Beat her up and about the chest, neck and face area. I remember how she got that gig too. I say yow you yet dat yob? The music station Fuse was once called Much Music. You recall this, I'm sure. Unless, of course, you have child-onset dementia.

Well, Mistress J was intitally just another kid out on the street peddlin' pootie. They would run a small 30 second, maybe quarter minute segment where they would put the camera on a bloke or a bird out on the street and that bloke or bird would give the skinny on what they thought was good music. Her and her big mouth obviously stood out in the crowd and they gave her own spot. The initial spot was much different than her Metal show. Although, I don't remember how or why that is. lol.

I remember something about her taking shirts off at the beginning of one of her shows. She would remeove a Metallica shirt, and there was a Floyd one under that, and then that one would come off and a Sabbath one was underneath that...and so on. But, yeah, she's one of those self-made success stories. I think that the other chick who was also a notable VJ on that station had gone to school for communications and had all kinds of training and internships...and, here walks in Mistress J.

She should be on with Eddie Trunk. Right there is a great move for incresed viewership and overall interest. If I remember correctly she wasn't half bad as an interviewer.

The way that System of a Down would treat her in the interviews with them really lowered my opinion of them. I wasn't a huge fan anyway, but they were just dicks to her. Especially the guitar player who thinks he's the singer now.

But yeah, Juliya is smokin. Her other show on Fuse, Slave to the Metal, was terrible but it was just her laying on a bed in leather bondage gear. Couldn't go wrong there either.

She got a real dirty-bird thing goin for her. And, guys really dig that sorta thing...for an evening, or three at max....Ok, back to this Metal Show dilemma. Assigning CD titles and then doing a cumulative review, where they debate contested points, really could add an interesting dimension to things. At least it would add some substance to the proceedings. I surely wanna hear about new titles which I might be missing. It's kinda academic and journalistic, and the other two clowns might sound retarded saying anything of substance, but the show should provide some dang information, right?

Then, maybe an 'on the streets' segment every once in a while, maybe with questions. But, that's the same as handing the mic over to an audience member. I like the idea of reviewing a new title. But, they could also review old albums as well. Nice balance. I actually envisioned a show like this years back. Didn't know Trunk was gunna run with it and muss it all up...Oh, snizzle snaps, dawg! Widen the margins of this micky ficky. Make it an hour-long show and have a musical guest. The artist gets two spots to play, and then ya got plenty extra time to do the reviews and street segment and whatnot. This thing needs saving and quick.

QUOTE (Storm Shadow @ Feb 24 2009, 11:01 PM)
The way that System of a Down would treat her in the interviews with them really lowered my opinion of them. I wasn't a huge fan anyway, but they were just dicks to her. Especially the guitar player who thinks he's the singer now.

But yeah, Juliya is smokin. Her other show on Fuse, Slave to the Metal, was terrible but it was just her laying on a bed in leather bondage gear. Couldn't go wrong there either.

yep , i saw that interview. class a asshole's those dudes.

QUOTE (metaldad @ Feb 25 2009, 11:09 AM)
QUOTE (Storm Shadow @ Feb 24 2009, 11:01 PM)

yep , i saw that interview. class a asshole's those dudes.

But brilliantly amazing. Too bad they are dicks. Seems like a lot of the brilliant ones, like Maynard too... have that quality in them. confused13.gif

Archived