Whoever seen Rush on the S&A tour...

Crockettsonny84

Anyone see alex with his black ES345? I havent found any pictures yet, but I did see a video here: TrueFire TV

with the 345 sitting on the stand next to the Garrison acoustics or at 2:16. If anyone can point me in the right direction, Im looking for pictures from this tour.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jan 26 2009, 09:03 PM)
As far as I know, the 345 didn't make any regular appearances on either leg of the S&A tour. Not sure if it showed up in any one show as a backup, but I've yet to see any clips or photos of him playing it. Would have been cool to see it.

yeah, Ive really became focused on both his 345 and the HR in an odd way. Im trying to uncover some history regarding these few, because you just never see him with it. Hell, Ive even seen pictures with him playing the Roland Synth more than the 345. Pictures really do tell alot, and If anyone has pics of him playing it any time since 1978 Id love to see them

1022.gif

I have watched that video several times before and never saw that nice eyes. I think that he probably was either using the 345 at that time to either to warm up on or he may have been thinking about using it for the tour but it never made it. Te black 345 was never used on this tour it was used during Permanent Waves as the backup for the white es-355 and shelved after that. It was bought to replace his sunburst es 345 he had during the hemispheres tour which he gave to a roadie for his birthday. I have some pictures of it I will try to post them.

Didn't he mention in a recent interview that he had a Kahler installed on that guitar in the 80's and didn't like it, so he had a plate put over the holes? It could be a different guitar I am thinking of though. He has so many lol.

QUOTE (Cowtothesky @ Jan 27 2009, 06:21 PM)
Didn't he mention in a recent interview that he had a Kahler installed on that guitar in the 80's and didn't like it, so he had a plate put over the holes? It could be a different guitar I am thinking of though. He has so many lol.

nah, youre thinking of the Howard Roberts Fusion. He had the Kahler put in back in '82 during signals. He also had one put in his 355, little did he know that Kahler's are notorious for going out of tune, and he stopped using both the HR and the 355 around that time because of it. The 355 was redone in ca. 1996 back to its original luster, minus the cigarette smoke color and the vibrola reinstalled. He never had anything special done to his 345's though, and his sunburst 345 was seen regularly between 78-80. THe black one came out a few times when he wanted to change things up.

QUOTE (Crockettsonny84 @ Jan 26 2009, 08:23 PM)
Ive really became focused on both his 345 and the HR in an odd way...

Good guitar choices! I am very partial to the Howard Roberts myself. trink39.gif

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s282/rushbass/Rush%201978-1979/1gadziola09_02_79.jpg

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s282/rushbass/Rush%20-%20Moving%20Pictures/18connor06_15_81.jpg

Edited by rushbass

while we are talking about guitars alex havent used that much, does anyone know anything about the pyramid guitar?

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r113/mortenmat/FC1049_RUSH_6.jpg

i know theres a company thats called pyramid but i think they only make strings nowadays, anyone know if they made guitars too? really hard to find anything about those guitars.

edit: i found some info about the pyramid guitar i havent seen before

Lifeson's pyramid guitar

Regarding the "Unidentified Les Paul copy" mentioned in the photo caption on page 92 of the September issue, did you not check back on your first cover story/interview with Alex Lifeson back in June 19807 It's the custom-built (by Pyramid Guitars in Detroit, Michigan) solidbody that Alex used for...

Edited by mortkort

QUOTE (mortkort @ Jan 28 2009, 05:21 AM)
while we are talking about guitars alex havent used that much, does anyone know anything about the pyramid guitar?

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r113/mortenmat/FC1049_RUSH_6.jpg

i know theres a company thats called pyramid but i think they only make strings nowadays, anyone know if they made guitars too? really hard to find anything about those guitars.

edit: i found some info about the pyramid guitar i havent seen before

Lifeson's pyramid guitar

Regarding the "Unidentified Les Paul copy" mentioned in the photo caption on page 92 of the September issue, did you not check back on your first cover story/interview with Alex Lifeson back in June 19807 It's the custom-built (by Pyramid Guitars in Detroit, Michigan) solidbody that Alex used for...

what!? doesnt have the full article

Well, I was doing some reading and came up with some points hee.

He got the black 345 to replace the sunburst one which was given to a guy on the road crew for his birthday. He used the 345 as a backup for his strat which by this time (ca.1980) was being seen regularly to play By-tor and the snow dog. Alex complained about how much he's not used to Fenders mainly because the original neck on the strat was Maple and that it didnt balance right with him, he had to get used to it. So, he had to use the 345 on songs like By-Tor and the Spirit of Radio to leave the fender out of some of the shows to avoid trainwrecks.

The Pyramid guitar was custom made for him by the Pyramid company of Michigan in 1977 at the same time he got the sunburst 345, the Roland Guitar Synth, and the 1275 Doubleneck. He used the Roland exclusively for Hemispheres Book II because of the atmosphere of the song. The Pyramid was used exclusively for Jacob's Ladder, and the 345 was used for Circumstances. He didnt like the Roland because it was too intricate for practical use and still has it at his home studio. The Pyramid guitar was a great guitar according to him, nothing much else after that. Im really curious now as to what he did with all the other guitars hes had. He had that tobacco 335, the Black ES 369 which has NEVER been seen, except for those publicity photos in 1981. He also had a standard SG supposedly around that time, probably for back up.

I also forgot to mention, but this holds a good key point to alex's sound. Alex always does amp miking, he uses it for a stereo signal hard left and hard right. The middle is reserved for solos that way the outer right/left can hold the rhythm. Also, he didnt like to do DI with his instruments, they always had to do it last minute or to fill something in. Back in the late 70's early 80s, Alex did all his DI stuff on the Howard Roberts or the Strat if need be.

Edited by Crockettsonny84

WHOA!!! did Alex acquire another Howard Roberts or what? On the S&A tour gear list it has an HR with a piezo and one with a fishman Tune-o-matic bridge. what the hell!?

QUOTE (Crockettsonny84 @ Jan 28 2009, 03:15 PM)
I also forgot to mention, but this holds a good key point to alex's sound. Alex always does amp miking, he uses it for a stereo signal hard left and hard right. The middle is reserved for solos that way the outer right/left can hold the rhythm.

cool.gif

I like stereo.

QUOTE (Crockettsonny84 @ Jan 28 2009, 09:14 PM)
WHOA!!! did Alex acquire another Howard Roberts or what?  On the S&A tour gear list it has an HR with a piezo and one with a fishman Tune-o-matic bridge.  what the hell!?

It is indeed the same Howard Roberts Fusion....though modified with the piezo and metal patch plate to cover a hole left when removing the kahler trem.

Any pictures of the Black on Maple strat from 79-80? I heard that this guitar after the final generation of modifications (wow, sounds sorta like lyrics maybe?) was put up at the Rock n Roll hall of fame... is this true?

QUOTE (Crockettsonny84 @ Feb 4 2009, 07:41 PM)
Any pictures of the Black on Maple strat from 79-80? I heard that this guitar after the final generation of modifications (wow, sounds sorta like lyrics maybe?) was put up at the Rock n Roll hall of fame... is this true?

It was on display at the Hall of Fame when I visited in '03 or so. It was next to Geddy's black double-neck Ric.

QUOTE (Crockettsonny84 @ Jan 26 2009, 07:35 PM)
Anyone see alex with his black ES345? I havent found any pictures yet, but I did see a video here: TrueFire TV

Awesome guitar. Thanks for sharing the vid.

The mention of a Strat- I never saw it. Anyone know to which one he was referring? Perhaps the white Sportscaster?

QUOTE (Crockettsonny84 @ Jan 28 2009, 06:15 PM)

He got the black 345 to replace the sunburst one which was given to a guy on the road crew for his birthday.  He used the 345 as a backup for his strat which by this time (ca.1980) was being seen regularly to play By-tor and the snow dog.  Alex complained about how much he's not used to Fenders mainly because the original neck on the strat was Maple and that it didnt balance right with him, he had to get used to it.  So, he had to use the 345 on songs like By-Tor and the Spirit of Radio to leave the fender out of some of the shows to avoid trainwrecks. 

The Pyramid guitar was custom made for him by the Pyramid company of Michigan in 1977 at the same time he got the sunburst 345, the Roland Guitar Synth, and the 1275 Doubleneck.  He used the Roland exclusively for Hemispheres Book II because of the atmosphere of the song.  The Pyramid was used exclusively for Jacob's Ladder, and the 345 was used for Circumstances.  He didnt like the Roland because it was too intricate for practical use and still has it at his home studio.  The Pyramid guitar was a great guitar according to him, nothing much else after that.  Im really curious now as to what he did with all the other guitars hes had.  He had that tobacco 335, the Black ES 369 which has NEVER been seen, except for those publicity photos in 1981.  He also had a standard SG supposedly around that time, probably for back up.

I also forgot to mention, but this holds a good key point to alex's sound.  Alex always does amp miking, he uses it for a stereo signal hard left and hard right.  The middle is reserved for solos that way the outer right/left can hold the rhythm.  Also, he didnt like to do DI with his instruments, they always had to do it last minute or to fill something in.  Back in the late 70's early 80s, Alex did all his DI stuff on the Howard Roberts or the Strat if need be.

Great stuff...I'm into Alex's backup/less-used guitars from those days too.

I did once see a picture of Alex on stage with the ES-369. Years ago...and not since. He must have used it once or twice on the 1980 tour, and at least one picture was taken.

I had also read about the sunburst ES-345 being given away as a gift. I have only seen it being played (played a lot, actually) on the Hemispheres tour. The black ES-345 I have seen several pictures of from 1979-1980. And it is the guitar used for the Tom Sawyer solo...see the Le Studio video! Oh, and let's not forget the cameo appearance of the black 345 in the video for "The Pass", 1989/90.

There are at least two Pyramid guitars...a striped brown one and a white one which someone on this forum posted pictures of (Hemi tour) in the "cool pics" thread.

I have also seen stage pics of the black Strat with maple neck on the web, but I can find none now. One was definitely 1980.

The (original) late 60's ES-335 is still in his collection...I have seen a picture of him in the studio with it...within the last 3 or 4 years...probably S&A timeframe.

My own 335 is a '67 model, kind of similar to Alex's. It gets this incredible bluesy and jazzy vibe, but not quite as much of a compressed rock vibe. I can easily get "Caress of Steel" tone from it, but Permanent Waves, for example, not soo easily...maybe its the amplification, but maybe it's no coincidence that my guitar most closely resembles his 60's ES-335 in tone as well as looks.

PS - Crockett...what does "DI" stand for?

http://home.att.net/~njsignals/es335/67es33511.jpg

Edited by spitball

QUOTE (DallasRUSHian @ Mar 5 2009, 08:55 AM)
QUOTE (spitball @ Mar 4 2009, 03:26 PM)
OK, I also found the black ES-345 in this clip from the PeW warm-up tour...wish I had this show on DVD!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BsM6xAGXjQ

You see it in the last seconds of a 9 minute video

...and in the first minute. Thanks though!

QUOTE (spitball @ Feb 26 2009, 02:50 PM)
QUOTE (Crockettsonny84 @ Jan 28 2009, 06:15 PM)

He got the black 345 to replace the sunburst one which was given to a guy on the road crew for his birthday.  He used the 345 as a backup for his strat which by this time (ca.1980) was being seen regularly to play By-tor and the snow dog.  Alex complained about how much he's not used to Fenders mainly because the original neck on the strat was Maple and that it didnt balance right with him, he had to get used to it.  So, he had to use the 345 on songs like By-Tor and the Spirit of Radio to leave the fender out of some of the shows to avoid trainwrecks. 

The Pyramid guitar was custom made for him by the Pyramid company of Michigan in 1977 at the same time he got the sunburst 345, the Roland Guitar Synth, and the 1275 Doubleneck.  He used the Roland exclusively for Hemispheres Book II because of the atmosphere of the song.  The Pyramid was used exclusively for Jacob's Ladder, and the 345 was used for Circumstances.  He didnt like the Roland because it was too intricate for practical use and still has it at his home studio.  The Pyramid guitar was a great guitar according to him, nothing much else after that.  Im really curious now as to what he did with all the other guitars hes had.  He had that tobacco 335, the Black ES 369 which has NEVER been seen, except for those publicity photos in 1981.  He also had a standard SG supposedly around that time, probably for back up.

I also forgot to mention, but this holds a good key point to alex's sound.  Alex always does amp miking, he uses it for a stereo signal hard left and hard right.  The middle is reserved for solos that way the outer right/left can hold the rhythm.  Also, he didnt like to do DI with his instruments, they always had to do it last minute or to fill something in.  Back in the late 70's early 80s, Alex did all his DI stuff on the Howard Roberts or the Strat if need be.

Great stuff...I'm into Alex's backup/less-used guitars from those days too.

I did once see a picture of Alex on stage with the ES-369. Years ago...and not since. He must have used it once or twice on the 1980 tour, and at least one picture was taken.

I had also read about the sunburst ES-345 being given away as a gift. I have only seen it being played (played a lot, actually) on the Hemispheres tour. The black ES-345 I have seen several pictures of from 1979-1980. And it is the guitar used for the Tom Sawyer solo...see the Le Studio video! Oh, and let's not forget the cameo appearance of the black 345 in the video for "The Pass", 1989/90.

There are at least two Pyramid guitars...a striped brown one and a white one which someone on this forum posted pictures of (Hemi tour) in the "cool pics" thread.

I have also seen stage pics of the black Strat with maple neck on the web, but I can find none now. One was definitely 1980.

The (original) late 60's ES-335 is still in his collection...I have seen a picture of him in the studio with it...within the last 3 or 4 years...probably S&A timeframe.

My own 335 is a '67 model, kind of similar to Alex's. It gets this incredible bluesy and jazzy vibe, but not quite as much of a compressed rock vibe. I can easily get "Caress of Steel" tone from it, but Permanent Waves, for example, not soo easily...maybe its the amplification, but maybe it's no coincidence that my guitar most closely resembles his 60's ES-335 in tone as well as looks.

http://home.att.net/~njsignals/es335/67es33511.jpg

DI=Direct Input. Geddy uses the Sansamp now for his new setup (new=7 years)