Life on Mars

owlswing

I started watching this show from the start and so far I think it's good.

The cast is great! Michael Imperioli in the 70's garb is excellent!

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Oct 29 2008, 07:52 AM)
Can't say I like retro shows. The fashions don't ever really match what was actually worn.

I have to say this the property & wardrobe master(s) have done a good job on this one.

For example last weeks episode had one of those hanging staue things that looked like oil beads were coming down around it. I remember so many of our neighbors had those in their homes. Does anyone else? unsure.gif

The clothes are pretty much on the mark for the time period and the small items that make you remember the 70's. Michael Imperioli look is classic 70's. Take a look at the Image Gallery at the bottom of this page... http://www.cinemablend.com/television/TV-R...iere-12598.html

One of those guys, don't know who it is, has a very modern haircut.

One thing though is that they should be spraying their hair in place. Either that or some kind of bril(?) cream.

If it looks "moussed" or "gelled" it would look more like the 80's and later.

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Oct 29 2008, 09:13 AM)

One thing though is that they should be spraying their hair in place. Either that or some kind of bril(?) cream.

The guy you might be speaking of may be the main lead and it would go along with the story line to have him some what modern - being thrust back to the 70's - only so much can change.

I don't know if the pictures show it well enough but the lighting effects from the 2 time periods show up on the show. When it is present time it is a very chromatic light effect, while in the 70's it is a brownish - orange softer lighting.

As long as the story stays this good I'll keep watching.

QUOTE (Fridge @ Oct 29 2008, 09:13 AM)
I think the original British version is much better from what I've seen so far, but then a lot of that is probably to do with what is more familiar to me.

I only learned today that it was from a BBC show, while looking for images.

How long ago was that show aired? Is it still on? unsure.gif

QUOTE (owlswing @ Oct 29 2008, 02:25 PM)
I think the original British version is much better from what I've seen so far, but then a lot of that is probably to do with what is more familiar to me.

It finished in 2007, though a sequel "Ashes to Ashes" was very recently aired.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Life_on_Mars_(TV_series)

No the original is better for being British.

Why can't the septics just watch our TV programmes, and not have to remake them? Like with Steptoe and Son, Til Death Us Do part and The Office for instance? Us Limeys are perfectly capable of sitting and watching US programmes.

QUOTE (King Troll @ Oct 29 2008, 04:16 PM)

Why can't the septics just watch our TV programmes, and not have to remake them? Like with Steptoe and Son, Til Death Us Do part and The Office for instance? Us Limeys are perfectly capable of sitting and watching US programmes.

Good point actually yes.gif

QUOTE (Fridge @ Oct 29 2008, 12:28 PM)

Well... just like everything else... we do it far better. pokey.gif

z7shysterical.gif

QUOTE (Fridge @ Oct 29 2008, 11:12 AM)
QUOTE (owlswing @ Oct 29 2008, 02:25 PM)

It finished in 2007, though a sequel "Ashes to Ashes" was very recently aired.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Life_on_Mars_(TV_series)

Hmmmm...........im guessing the creators are big David Bowie fans....huh? wink.gif

i should check either the origonal or remake out.

Edited by The Owl

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Oct 29 2008, 12:15 PM)
QUOTE (Fridge @ Oct 29 2008, 12:28 PM)

Well... just like everything else... we do it far better. pokey.gif

z7shysterical.gif

Yes, especially in irony.

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Oct 29 2008, 02:13 PM)

You're rating a television program on it's historical accuracy? Quite absurd that.

If the US version is like the UK version, it'll be more focused on how the man from the future fits into a past society, rather than being focused on fashion...

Edited by Mandalorian Hunter

QUOTE (Mandalorian Hunter @ Oct 30 2008, 06:36 PM)

You're rating a television program on it's historical accuracy? Quite absurd that.

If the US version is like the UK version, it'll be more focused on how the man from the future fits into a past society, rather than being focused on fashion...

Hardly absurd. If the wardrobe department can't research what people wore back then, the whole show would look stupid and just like every other crime drama that's out there.

By the way, television is for "viewing", so it best "look" right for a show that's using nostalgia as a selling point.

There was a big difference in the tie-dyed shirts of the early 70's and the JC Penney manufactured ones that people started wearing in the late 80's.

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Oct 30 2008, 11:00 PM)
QUOTE (Mandalorian Hunter @ Oct 30 2008, 06:36 PM)

Hardly absurd. If the wardrobe department can't research what people wore back then, the whole show would look stupid and just like every other crime drama that's out there.

By the way, television is for "viewing", so it best "look" right for a show that's using nostalgia as a selling point.

There was a big difference in the tie-dyed shirts of the early 70's and the JC Penney manufactured ones that people started wearing in the late 80's.

Very absurd. They're writing the show for entertainment! Again, they're not making it for accuracy.

As the series goes on, you'll notice the marketing point has nothing to do with the era the lead character is in, and I won't mention what the plot points will probably be so I don't spoil it for others, but it has nothing to do with shirts. And yes, television is for viewing, but if all you're looking for in this programme are the accuracies of what shirts were worn in the 70's, then you're missing the point completely.

Stop being a pedant, and pay attention to the plot rather than the wardrobe and haircuts. If you do that, the series becomes much more engrossing.

Edited by Mandalorian Hunter

If you're going to do anything, though, do it right.

Rita Riggs was a great wardrobe person for some of Norman Lear's shows like "Maude" and "Good Times". She'd be a great resource for shows looking to be "70's".

Wardrobe folks are hired for a reason.

As for the show, I don't think I'd be interested simply because....well, I'm not interested. I mean, how many crime dramas and medical dramas need there be?

No offense to anybody who likes this show, btw. To each their own.

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Oct 30 2008, 11:20 PM)
If you're going to do anything, though, do it right.

Rita Riggs was a great wardrobe person for some of Norman Lear's shows like "Maude" and "Good Times". She'd be a great resource for shows looking to be "70's".

Wardrobe folks are hired for a reason.

As for the show, I don't think I'd be interested simply because....well, I'm not interested. I mean, how many crime dramas and medical dramas need there be?

No offense to anybody who likes this show, btw. To each their own.

I would certainly agree with that, but when the writing is as good as it was in this show, they could've been wearing speedo's and I wouldn;t have cared.

Btw, it's not a typical crime drama. It goes much further than that.

There's an American version? I've seen the British one and loved it. Some classic moments in it. Philip Glenister, who played Gene Hunt, the head detective, was brilliant.

Haven't seen any episodes of Ashes to Ashes yet.

I just watched it last nght. I fell asleep, not because it was boring. Just tired. I have watched it before and I think it is awesome. I like how they really have it as if it was back in the day. I was a young child back in that time and it was grooveeeeeeeeeee... LOL!

I wish I had it taped, because last night he saw his mother. I know it had to be good.

This show rocks! This is more than a cop show, there is so much spirituality in it.

Saying that, does anyone have, or know where I can get my hands on the first 4 episodes? Perhaps it has been Tivo'D? Any places on line? Abc.com only has the last three episodes.

Help. Please.

QUOTE (ouchithurts @ Nov 27 2008, 10:41 PM)
This show rocks! This is more than a cop show, there is so much spirituality in it.

Saying that, does anyone have, or know where I can get my hands on the first 4 episodes? Perhaps it has been Tivo'D? Any places on line? Abc.com only has the last three episodes.

Help. Please.

I got 'em all dvr'd. yes.gif

pm me your info and when I recover a bit more from this surgery, i'll hook up the dvdr to it and get them out to you, okay?