Using samples / covering songs

rushdownunder

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm getting so sick of artists* using samples from other peoples songs and then selling it off as something revolutionary and amazing.

The worst examples are the ones where they take an old (and usually good) song, and plaster a techno beat over the top of it, and all of a sudden it becomes this great piece of art and the person who sat behind the computer and programmed it all is a genius.

Now, I don't mind if it's something small like a one bar drum groove or something like that, but to pretty much take an entire song or the unique part of it and to 'douche' it up (doo-SHH! doo-SHH) is just lazy.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't find composing a song that hard of a task. Sure, the tunes I've written will never be radio hits (mainly because I don't want them to be) but it's really not that hard to create a nice little original pop tune that people can enjoy. But these days, it seems easier to program a drum beat over an already great song and call it 'new and exciting'.

* = In this scenario, the word 'artists' refers to those with absolutely no musical talent but are desperate for attention in a musical sense and will rip off an actual talented persons work in order to appear worthy of receiving recognition.

I don;t mind it when it is done in a unique way. The worst one I can imagine was the Seand Combs re-work of the Police Every Breath You Take (I think that was the tune...). It was absolutely horrible. I, like you, don't think it should be possible to build a career on doing this thing but it happens every day.

Back in the early 90's some shitty no-talent band sampled the opening riff to The Spirit of Radio. My guess at the time was that their guitarist lacked the skill to actually play ANYTHING Alex Lifeson ever did.

MaLhAvOc - did it alot - of course . and it ruled .

Ministry did as well . public enemy , nwa etc and so on . pretty cool .

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Sep 28 2008, 07:41 PM)
Like Kid Rock? Everything I've ever heard from him always samples from other's music.................

yes.gif i think all that shit sucks 062802puke_prv.gif

QUOTE (metaldad @ Sep 29 2008, 04:31 PM)
Like Kid Rock? Everything I've ever heard from him always samples from other's music.................

well , I cant believe we are now on the same page laugh.gif

yeah - skid rock is pure garbage

QUOTE (rotting @ Sep 29 2008, 06:12 PM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Sep 29 2008, 04:31 PM)

well , I cant believe we are now on the same page laugh.gif

yeah - skid rock is pure garbage

1022.gif

I agree with metaldad 062802puke_prv.gif

I don't know the name of his latest song (nor do I care what it is) but it uses not one but two Lynyrd Skynyrd songs as the melody and harmony, and his only contribution is some terrible lyrics and singing and a drum machine (probably done by the engineer or someone else)

The thing I hate about this practice is when people hear the 'new' songs, they think, "hey, I think I know that song! I instantly like it!". Also, kids who are interested in music don't learn where these sounds originally came from, which is sad really.

It reminds me of a young student I was once teaching, he wanted to learn to play 'Black Betty' by Ram Jam. I asked him if he wanted to learn the original version, or a new version covered by an Aussie band called 'Spiderbait'.

He assured me he wanted to learn the original version, but of course, he brought in a CD of the Spiderbait version. When I told him about Ram Jam, he refused to believe that the Spiderbait version was not the original. I played him the original Ram Jam version, and he said it sounded really bad - even though the Spiderbait version is pretty much the same.

Kids hey? eyesre4.gif

Archived